Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
purist

Progressive Fiction (Hadephobia now on /idgames)

That would be great, would you prefer them as just text or shall I create them in graphic form? Also is there a character/pixel limit? I'll try to be concise :-)

hawkwind said:

Yes. WhackED4.

No, I think he means text after every level, not after 6, 11, etc. So you need to edit the CWILV graphics.

Memfis said:

No, I think he means text after every level, not after 6, 11, etc. So you need to edit the CWILV graphics.

Yes, this is what I mean. I thought the CWILV graphics would have something to do with it... but how does it have a different graphic on the stat screen to the proceeding 'entering' screen, when the same CWILV graphic is used for both?

Ideally, I'd like it to appear on the 'entering' screen only.

purist said:

Yes, this is what I mean. I thought the CWILV graphics would have something to do with it... but how does it have a different graphic on the stat screen to the proceeding 'entering' screen, when the same CWILV graphic is used for both?

Ideally, I'd like it to appear on the 'entering' screen only.

I quite like the idea but there will be an issue to some prboom users. Prboom has a habit of not staying on the "now entering" screen and will go away the second you even have a chance to read the map name. Or are you talking about a completely different screen all together? Is there a way to change that so others can actually read the text?

I did mean that screen but forgot it times out so quickly. I don't really like how busy it would look on the stat screen but I'll play about and make a judgement call.

So.

I was about to call your attention, but every time I came accross this mistake, I was quite far after playing the last version, given the likely fact that one or two newer have come out. But now that I've gotten to knowing that it was as accidental as tripping on the street, I'm putting it straight that...

Spoiler

... you've miscredited the MAP04 music!
The one you've written in the txt file is "E3M2: Donna to the Rescue", whilst the actual music playing is "E2M2: The Demon's from Adrian's Pen".

It was my bad I had always been lazy to tell you so.

Excuse me asking about the RL secret in MAP05 again ... I wonder if there is a compatibility issue with the trigger. Yes, I read it requires PRBoom+; I just tried to play it with Risen3D 2.2.0-20 and it worked well so far, I believe, but I could not access this sector. According to SLADE3, there is only one linedef trigger based way to open it: From the inside. So may there be a different kind of trigger the tag highlight of the SLADE3 map editor won't reveal?
__

P.S.:

Hah, funny. The highlight in the map editor of SLADE3 indeed fails for the external trigger. Risen3D executes it, though.
__

P.P.S.:

But I don't like the eastern secret in MAP09. I had to watch a walkthrough video to understand that it requires tricks like wallrunning, if not jumping.

LigH said:

Excuse me asking about the RL secret in MAP05 again ... I wonder if there is a compatibility issue with the trigger. Yes, I read it requires PRBoom+; I just tried to play it with Risen3D 2.2.0-20 and it worked well so far, I believe, but I could not access this sector. According to SLADE3, there is only one linedef trigger based way to open it: From the inside. So may there be a different kind of trigger the tag highlight of the SLADE3 map editor won't reveal?
__

P.S.:

Hah, funny. The highlight in the map editor of SLADE3 indeed fails for the external trigger. Risen3D executes it, though.
__

If you mean the RL at secret sector 4, it is actually triggered by 5 lines, the 4 around the secret sector and line 2600 to access the secret.

So no compatibility issue at all.

Maybe a bug with SLADE3 ?

Those 4 lines are triggered from the inside only, so you can escape the lift after it raises again up into the ceiling hole. But to open it from the outside, you have to poke an eye. Therefore, SLADE3 should have highlighted 5 lines: The 4 lines making the sector, and a 5th in a different place. This 5th line is missing a highlight. I wonder if it is due to a BOOM dependent special behaviour. But I opened the map editor in BOOM mode.

Reported.

The "raising lava" trap in MAP25 is absolutely impressive!

It just seems to have one flaw, at least in Risen3D: It looks like sector 50 does not lower its ceiling for some reason, leaving a hall of mirrors. I hope my description was not completely wrong...
__

Ah, maybe not HoMs, but slightly irritating textures. But I guess you are scratching the limits of the BOOM engine...

(Contrast enhanced)

__

Ah, one more issue with the voodoo doll 109 in sector 303:

The stairs to the teleport to the trap (tag 10, sectors 102-104) are lowered. But the wall to the backside cave (tag 11, sector 304) remained.

LigH said:

The "raising lava" trap in MAP25 is absolutely impressive!

It just seems to have one flaw, at least in Risen3D: It looks like sector 50 does not lower its ceiling for some reason, leaving a hall of mirrors. I hope my description was not completely wrong...
__

Ah, maybe not HoMs, but slightly irritating textures. But I guess you are scratching the limits of the BOOM engine...

(Contrast enhanced)

What happens in that area is that in order to give the impression that the lava is rising (despite what is actually happening is all of the floors lowering) I tried to get the ceiling to come down as well. Unfortunately I encountered problems when it came to lowering the ceilings that lie above the sinking platforms (they would stop lowering when they reached the starting height of the floor). In the end I had to make do with having those ceilings not lower and stay where they are, it's largely unnoticeable in most ports because the upper linedefs are untextured, so the flats "bleed" into them and you can barely see any change, but if you look all the way up in a GL port then it's going to look funny unfortunately. Given that players are under pressure to not hang around and take a big look around I felt it was OK to leave it as it is.

You might also suffer a big HOM mess if you die and wait for the ceiling to lower all the way while lying dead in the right place. At this point even if I found a way to fix these issues, I'll probably just leave it as it is now that the wad is released.

LigH said:

Ah, one more issue with the voodoo doll 109 in sector 303:

The stairs to the teleport to the trap (tag 10, sectors 102-104) are lowered. But the wall to the backside cave (tag 11, sector 304) remained.

Actually not a bug. One problem with the rising lava trap that most people have probably never thought about is how is it going to work in co-op play? Quite simply it doesn't, you'd get trapped in the yellow key room and even then there's a silent teleporter that will cause you to accidentally telefrag your team mates. To get around this, in co-op mode you cannot enter the rising lava section, the stairs to reach the portal lower at the start of the map and the backside cave opens up, leading you to an entirely separate area with another yellow key in it. All the monsters in this area are marked co-op only (and the monsters in the rising lava are single-player only) so you can still max the map whether you're playing co-op or not.

If you want to see what happens yourself, try playing in prBoom+ with the -solo-net launch parameter to mimic co-op play.

If you're wondering how it all works, the voodoo doll in sector 303 cannot cross the linedefs in single-player because it is blocked by two evil eye decorations that only appear in single-player.

I can't say it hasn't been planned well. :)

Unseen areas are always a challenge for the cheater.

P.S.: I love happy ends! :P

Bumping for the new Hadephobia upload, which is now on /idgames:

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17105

Changelog is as follows:

CREDIT: MAP04 music credit corrected
MAP15: 100% kills is now possible
MAP22: 100% kills is now possible
MAP24: 100% secrets is now possible
MAP30: 100% kills is now possible
MAP30: Several thing placement changes to make it more challenging

This update is mainly for those wising to do speedruns. With the possible exception of MAP30 other players are not likely to notice the difference. The demos already recorded here should not be desynced other than Cannonball's MAP30 run for obvious reasons.

Thanks to all mappers for a fun play. Here's a link to my review, in case you're interested in the particulars

kmxexii said:

Thanks to all mappers for a fun play. Here's a link to my review, in case you're interested in the particulars

Hahah, I see I've already made a strong impact on you :D At least you'll be keeping track of my mapping skills' progression in the near future.

I guess it's time I asked whether there will be a sequel to this. Purist once told me that I should save my "metal fortress" idea up to "Hadephobia 2: Hadephilia", but once it's been spoken, it became forgotten. Not by me, respectively.

In the same time, I'm also concerned that things are not the same like before. For one thing, I start university in 2 days. Still, I'd be fancying doing a similar job like before, only with now more skills at making good-playing maps.

No immediate plans but I'm not adverse to the idea. I'd like to do it differently for a sequel. More team based than PFCP, new resources and a predefined story.

Absolutely true. Planning a story step by step and yet to produce something for a one-week deadline has already proven itself to be a job like arseache. Since it's been spoken, I'm gone off as I only have one more request: if you already feel that all the requirements for the start of planning Hadephilia(?) are fulfilled, just drop me a PM. We'll see how my "inner projects" (Doomep47, Ultimate Showdown, Going Cellistics) would change (or would have already changed) my perception for mapping in the recent months/years.

I've not thought any further on a Hadephobia sequel, there's too many other projects I would prefer to work on first. Maybe if it is remembered in two or three years we could revisit it.

Meanwhile, for Hadephobia completists (if such a tragic creature exists) The Green Herring and Xaser have tracked down Whitedamp's cool midi for MAP31: Royal Flush, which should have taken the place of the TNT track that is instead currently in that slot.

http://ionline.vectec.net/music/hosted/Whitedamp%20-%20Royal%20Flush%20%28v2%29.mid

I'm not sufficiently moved to update the /idgames entry but feel free to update your own copy if you wish.

Apologies go out to Whitedamp, if I'd have found this link before the final update it would be in there and I feel a little guilty for not trying harder to find it. Sorry pal.

Okay, then about 2015-2016 time, Hadephilia!

@Cell: hmm, I prefer 'Hadephrenia' now I think about it!

@EvilNed: that's really cool to hear, I'm glad you liked it

purist said:

@Cell: hmm, I prefer 'Hadephrenia' now I think about it!

That should be the end of the trilogy, I mean!

Sorry for the bump, but I just wanted to say I recently came across this megawad and I am really enjoying it so far!

In many ways, it reminds me of the equally excellent Hellbound.

On 9/2/2021 at 9:46 AM, Rudolph said:

Sorry for the bump, but I just wanted to say I recently came across this megawad and I am really enjoying it so far!

In many ways, it reminds me of the equally excellent Hellbound.

you may be interested in this: