Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sergeant_Mark_IV

Brutal HeXen - Beta 1 Released

I don't think I really like the idea of perks and experience, sure Hexen 2 had experience and certain abilities but this is Hexen 1, Hexen isn't exactly a modern RPG.

I really like it so far, changes gameplay but in a good way, sort of refreshing. I would like to see some more progress and updates along the way because I think it goes pretty well.

Keep up the good work!

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Neither was HeXen 2.

Well I didn't add the "1" to the last mention of Hexen because I meant the Hexen games in general. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the gorefest of Brutal Doom moreso in Hexen than Doom but I didn't expect you would add an rpg like system from modern rpg games as well, though I did guess it might happen. It would be nice if you can do a mode that disables the experience/perk system while still retaining the gore/fatalities/etc in a simple fashion like Brutal Doom, but I guess that would be too much work for you.

Avoozl said:

Well I didn't add the "1" to the last mention of Hexen because I meant the Hexen games in general. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the gorefest of Brutal Doom moreso in Hexen than Doom but I didn't expect you would add an rpg like system from modern rpg games as well, though I did guess it might happen. It would be nice if you can do a mode that disables the experience/perk system while still retaining the gore/fatalities/etc in a simple fashion like Brutal Doom, but I guess that would be too much work for you.

Actually not much work. I could make a separated version without experience and leveling, but I would rather finish the beta phase first.

Alright, so I played this: 1) I like it, 2) it's a lot harder, like, jeez... I don't really have a handle on how to get the fancy double-swing consistently, and 3) AFRITS GRR!!!

3) shield-bash is the absolute tits. Feels good.

I can see that I'm going to have to play a lot more defensively now. Kind of reminds me a D Souls a little bit, what with the new reliance on blocking. Though if you introduce stamina I think I would have a conniption.

My Review And Feedback.

Once I learned about BRUTAL DOOM, my second thought was "It would rock it there was BRUTAL HEXEN" And so be the creator himself decided to move forward with the idea. Played the Beta and its awesome! Love how its more aggressive and violent. I always felt that game could use more behind the kills. Cant wait for the full release of the game.

My Suggestions
+Add a battle cry (like the warrior has an extreme yell, kinda like Doomguys laugh in Brutal Doom)

+Add More Blood. (I know its beta, but have blood everywhere! You kill with weapons made for large amounts of blood. I want to slip in it when I walk)

+Maybe heavy music (not sure about it tho, not sure if it would work but when playing I felt like it should be more aggressive to go with the violence).

Either way, I love the fact that its getting a BRUTAL touch up to a classic game I grew up with. Any word on a release date?

DOOMSLAYER said:

I always felt that game could use more behind the kills.

There is nothing more behind the kills. You shoot things. They go down. You move on - They don't scream in pain waiting for you to blow their heads off and you don't go play with their corpses or whatever. That's just sick! (hey, I feel better now :))

+Maybe heavy music

That might work with Doom, but I don't see it work with Hexen.

Blue Shadow said:

That might work with Doom, but I don't see it work with Hexen.

Maybe make it more Black Metal-like, but the music is dark as fuck already.

Thank you! I just had a quick look at it, but it looks very promising so far! I also like the idea of a RPG element, although I did not have the possibility to try it out yet.

I tried both of the alternative download links, but unfortunately, they didn't work. One gave me an application that when I drag and dropped it on GZdoom, it did nothing but start the game in vanilla. The other link allowed me to download a zip file. I extracted the file, which had many items and folders, but no starting application.

Heres my feedback, I played past 7 portals so far:

- Hp increase (10) at every level doesn't seem to be working. Also maybe you could give other perks with more levels (strength, magic, speed etc.)

- The armour system in Hexen is not very intuitive, perhaps gauge could be put in, or a graphical image of each of the pieces of armour you have, and how much they have degraded.

- When you perform fatalities, you take damage if enemies attack you. Not sure if this is intentional.

- Afrits are trolls.

- At a certain level, Timons axe should get its blue aura and deal more damage maybe?

I'll try to think of some other stuff as I play through the rest of Hexen... maybe.

EDIT: Just finished Dark Wood, the Death Wyvern seems to be glitched. It doesn't kill the ettin on the pillar properly, it just fly's towards the ettin and push's it off. It even got stuck in a corner doing this once.

- Level 10 was reached with a cap of 900000 XP a few levels through heseriarch's seminary (hub 3). There's room for a lot more levels. Maybe even 10 more.

- Upon acquiring the final piece of the quietus, it automatically draws the original version, rather than the brutal version. After you draw another weapon, it promptly disappears from your inventory, and you can't draw it again.

- The quietus' normal attack should take no mana, since your already at a disadvantage since you cant use a shield, at the cost of more attack damage.

This entire mod depicts Hexen the way it should of been originally I think. Once its further into beta, its gonna be amazing. This mod makes Hexen a lot more enjoyable, especially since its such a long game.