Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Bedlam [uploaded to the archive]

e3m9 is not done and I haven't heard anything from NoneeLlama in 4 months. If he is still working on it then I don't mind waiting, but if he is okay with that then maybe someone else could submit a map.

Memfis said:

e3m9 is not done and I haven't heard anything from NoneeLlama in 4 months. If he is still working on it then I don't mind waiting, but if he is okay with that then maybe someone else could submit a map.

There's no use in keeping you guys waiting, if anybody wants to take over, then he can have my slot. I also upload what I have done so far, so anybody can use it (if they want to): http://www.mediafire.com/?2bio4gba6g9gsia

What kind of map are you looking for? Would anything E3-ish fit the slot, or would you rather something gimmicky like the IWAD secret maps?

I am going take the e3m9 slot and create something, got some ideas already. It should be done in Monday.
Time to finish this episode.

Good man, I'd thought along similar lines previously but as long as it's a good map and it gets the episode finished I'm happy.

Memfis, once E3M9 is done is this episode ready to go?

Pretty much, yeah, I will only need to make sure that I have the latest versions of all maps. I might have missed an update or two because, to be honest, I didn't organise this project too well on my computer. :\

Since it seems the wheels are moving on this episode again I decided to play through the beta.

In case anyone decides to do the same I'll save you the bother of digging through the thread to find the link:

http://content.wuala.com/contents/kuchitsu/Doom_WAD/bedlamBT2.zip?dl=1

Here's my brief thoughts on the first three maps:

e3m1 - done (by Memfis)

I don't have anything bad to say about this level. It was a lot of fun.

e3m2 - done (by Memfis)

This is another good level but I would have appreciated some health and/or armour at the peak of the pyramid you drop into as you sometimes cannot avoid taking damage from the imps in there and if you are on low health, like I was, that part can be a bit of a chore.

The tech switches also seemed a little out of whack with the rest of the theme as well.

e3m3 - done (by Antroid)

I liked this one a little less than the first two. Whereas I enjoyed the resource frugality in the first two levels there where a couple of points in this one where it caused the action to really slow down as I had to play achingly cautious.

My least favourite area was the lift down into the square column area. It felt like I was forced to gradually wake monsters and let them wander to you when you go back to safe spot because my health gave me such a low margin for error. My favourite area was directly afterwards in the marble area with the ledges because I felt I could use space and height variation to work angles in my favour.

Lastly, I think the black floor should be removed as it doesn't look good against the other flat materials.

Well, it's about time. However, E3M4 is not the final version in this beta, but if purist finds no problems then it should be good.

Memfis said:

Pretty much, yeah, I will only need to make sure that I have the latest versions of all maps. I might have missed an update or two because, to be honest, I didn't organise this project too well on my computer. :\

I seem to have deleted the fixed version of e3m3 from mediafire, do you still have it or should I upload it again? It's the one without any green marble in the lava area and without that one secret ledge with rockets or whatever I left on there having like three secret sectors instead of one.

Also, the black carpets stay and that's final.

e3m4 - done (by C30N9)

Quite short and simply tackled except for the beginning if you are on low health from continuous play and the shock caco attack. On the first point I suggest adding a couple of medikits at the end of the levels to help continuous players. I know Memfis is only interested in pistol starts but as the maps are to be played as an episode and health and armour are quite low it wouldn't hurt to give continuous players a fighting chance.

Specifically to this map I found the convoluted and unnecessarily elongated series of switches between collecting the blue key and red key, which is not a massive chore but slows down the action for no real reason.

The baron hiding behind that pillar which was a boring fight since he couldn't get out and I couldn't get in so I ended up peek-a-boo shooting him around the corner.

Otherwise I thought the map was pretty solid.

I am not done yet, because I played lot of dota AI over a weekend, but most of the map is finished and so far it is going well.

Should be completed at the end of the day or tomorrow.

I not going to post any screens because of secret reason :)

Hurray, my second ever map is done.

It is E3M9 for this project and I call it Cursed Mirror.

-hellish theme (of course)
-medium sized (in vanilla scale)
-cool visuals
-with an easter egg secret
-good fights (imo)
-medium difficulty
-vanilla compatible (of course)
-beatable in vanilla, UV from pistol start, without saves and secrets
-speedrun posible (but there is one tricky part)
-two medkits near exit button for continuous players
-difficulty settings applied (but only in some places)
-coop supported
-deathmatch supported
-it is doom
-stuff

I am going to send it to memfis in a moment.

e3m5 - done (by NoneeLlama)

I might have to replay this one because my play through was split over a save a few days apart and I can't remember a lot from the early one. That is to say I do remember it was pretty inoffensive gameplay-wise and walking around it now there's no visual bugs or recommendations I feel compelled to make about the look of the map.

I don't remember this one being particularly hard. I think it suffers continuous players less than the previous maps because I was stocked well enough that I didn't have to scrabble around for munitions. Indeed, there is even the fabled medikits at the end to help for the next map. I could have done with the rad suit being accessible prior to entering the damaging floor maze. A second way across the chasm would have also been helpful as the teleport over there was not very intuitive - but that might be because I last used the teleporter a few days ago and forgot how to get back there.

I would like to note that it would be best if Memfis would send us the lastest version of bedlam.wad before he flag it as final version and/or upload it to /idgames.. so that we can check if there are final versions of our maps in the pwad.

Sokoro said:

I would like to note that it would be best if Memfis would send us the lastest version of bedlam.wad before he flag it as final version and/or upload it to /idgames.. so that we can check if there are final versions of our maps in the pwad.

Yeah, I also found a couple of little bugs in my map that I somehow missed earlier, plus I might make it prettier and make it a bit more challenging (if needed).

e3m5 - done (by NoneeLlama)

I didn't feel like I did this one justice previously so I played it again, this time from pistol start. It is perhaps a tad too easy. Maybe add some more cacodemons or distribute the ammo/health a bit more evenly because it some places it was tight and others over loaded. I guess this is a symptom of the level being quite non-linear - some routes were better than others.

Having replayed the level that teleporter over the ravine is not so hard to follow as you pass over it earlier in the level so it's easy enough to remember it goes back the same way.

My point on the lava maze still stands though. I actually quite like it and the rad suit isn't too hard to find - provided the player turns immediately left. I still think a suit outside of the maze be good.

e3m6 - done (by purist)

It's been ages since I played this and while it's not always pretty I think it's held up pretty well. I like that there's a few ways around the map and that you can cover a lot of it without any keys.

The difficulty, I would place harder than e3m1, e3m4 & e3m5 but easier than e3m3 and maybe on par with e3m2 - but it's hard to gauge on your own maps.

One thing that might need changing is that I think I left a lava pit (the one with SP_ROCK around it) inescapable. I have nothing against inescapable pits as long as they are damaging and it's obvious you're not meant to go into them - but I'll let others decide.

I had a quick go on e3m7 but I killed myself with a RL like a moron. Up until then I was having a lot of fun though.

There is yet another version of E3M8 (v1,3):
http://ubuntuone.com/0esmNCvPhKyCSXHNBq7t58

It got many improvements.. ie: better clues for secrets, better final fight with spider mastermind, some monster and item balance, some door and teleport tweaks, etc

I am posting it here because memfis is not compiling new version of bedlam yet, so use Slade or other wad editor to replace original map with this version.. for better experience.

Edit: yeah.. new version again..

NoneeLlama said:

Here's the updated e3m5

I played it on UV. Not a bad map. There are some interesting fights such as the red key trap and the plasma gun trap, but as Purist said a bit too easy. I almost died in the lava maze, but that stemmed more from my stubbornness in wanting to find all secrets and not killing cacos/barons with shotgun. Also if I'm not mistaken 100% secrets isn't possible; the plasma cells secret with a caco has 2 secret sectors but only one is reachable.

NoobBait said:

I played it on UV. Not a bad map. There are some interesting fights such as the red key trap and the plasma gun trap, but as Purist said a bit too easy. I almost died in the lava maze, but that stemmed more from my stubbornness in wanting to find all secrets and not killing cacos/barons with shotgun. Also if I'm not mistaken 100% secrets isn't possible; the plasma cells secret with a caco has 2 secret sectors but only one is reachable.

Thanks for the heads-up about the secret bug (I also found some more along the way), but I don't know if I can make this level any more challenging without swarming it with enemies, plus Memfis said that is should be as hard as the original E3, wich I think it is already.
Anyway, here's an update: http://www.mediafire.com/?0d8q6q3xs996kn6

If you want a challenge then try to play my E3M8 with pistol start ,download the newest version which I posted here.
I got many complaints and failed FDAs about it being hard and slow map.
I fixed some of the issues in the newest version but it is still challenging, especialy the new boss arena which is really devilish :)

What is with Memfis? I send him both of my maps but he did not reply.
I do not think it takes too much time to compile the maps together and create some v1.0 of bedlam which could be playtested and send to /idgames..

Antroid said:

I seem to have deleted the fixed version of e3m3 from mediafire, do you still have it or should I upload it again?

Please do, I'm not sure if I have the latest version.

Sokoro: How about new music for e3m9? Ideally I'd like to have a custom track for every map but ultimately it's up to you.

Once Antroid sends me his map, I'll post the very final beta here, then will wait a bit for feedback and, possibly, updates from the authors.

Also, does anyone want to write comments or something for the readme? What about permissions, maybe you want to allow modifications/etc of your map(s)?

I don't have custom music for my level (E3M6) but would not object to some if you have something in mind. Or I can look for something but I'm bad at picking music.

I'll write some comments too, have you decided on a format?

Author: Chris Bourke
AKA: purist
MAP: E3M6
Title: Caco's Cauldron
Inspiration: Sandy Petersen
Comments: This started life as a DTWiD entry that was not completed in time. I wanted to make the level open, interconnected and non-linear. So it kinda is. Once this project came about it gave me the chance to finish the level and with the DTWiD shackle dropped I could add my own style to it.
Other releases: helav8.wad, cansquad.wad, hbe1.wad, pccp.wad (MAP35), oct11.wad (MAP01-03), intercep.wad (MAP08,27), h_phobia.wad (MAP04,09,15,20,24,29,34).

I think D_E2M7 fits your level perfectly so I'm going to use that if you don't mind.

I'm not going to enforce any comment format, people can write whatever they want. :) I'd suggest adding your mail address btw.

I am not a musican, but if someone would make an altered version of the music track in e3m1 then it would fit the e3m9 level very well :)

Sokoro said:

If you want a challenge then try to play my E3M8 with pistol start ,

nice map :) I recorded my first playthrough if that's something that interests you. lmp file can be found here. I took your hints about it being difficult and there being a mastermind fight after the last baron/caco wave, so I tried to make sure I had enough ammo. Ran out of cells right as the mastermind fell :) I ended up with 99% kills and 75% secrets.

Here ya go Memfis. This may have the same name as some previous version but I just made a final alteration to it (one secret wasn't marked as a secret). Hopefully nothing bugs out in it anymore. Also the custom music isn't included. You can add to the readme that this was my first ever publically released completed map for Doom (despite mapping for a long time at that point - all of it was for my big project), and the first map I've ever made in vanilla. Such a historical moment should me marked! My only other released maps at this point are the three for D2INO, vanilla also.