Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danfun64

freedoom and free content source ports

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions too soon.

There are several source ports out there for doom. Aside from the usual DSL vs GPL vs DSL/BUILD/FMOD/LGPL/BSD/Non-free-Kitchen-Sink licensing, many ports have resource wads that aren't free content.

Some ports have this issue, but have patches to fix some of it. The Debian compliant version of PrBoom for instance.

I just wanted to know which source ports don't use any non-free resources (and is GPL of course) and are compatible with freedoom.

I'm reasonably certain that Chocolate Doom doesn't use any non-free content, as I've gone to careful effort to avoid and eliminate anything non-free. For example, the old Chocolate Doom icon used to be an imp licking an ice cream, which I replaced with a new logo, and when doing the background for the Mac installer I used a portion of a screenshot from Freedoom.

It would be nice if there was some kind of effort to improve the free version of PrBoom's WAD file as it appears in Debian. The font is pretty ugly.

Chocolate Doom?

Danfun64 said:

and are compatible with freedoom.

Last I checked (and there's a possibility I may have an outdated WAD) Chocolate Doom isn't compatible -- in the Doom2 version, there are a fair few levels which VPO, plus I found keydoors and things that wouldn't work (BOOM linetypes?).

I'm currently testing the levels I make with Chocolate Doom; using the Freedoom texture set to see if I can vary my aesthetics a bit.

I forgot that I put this together a few years ago, as a set of improved menu graphics for prboom.wad. It uses a suitably-chunky-looking font that I found in odamex.wad (can someone from Odamex confirm that it is also free?).

What is so hard to fix Freedoom so it works in vanilla? Why was it made for Boom in the first place? Shouldn't it be a free placeholder for Doom?

entryway said:

Current prboom/-plus does not use (does not require) these m_* lumps

Neat!

printz said:

What is so hard to fix Freedoom so it works in vanilla? Why was it made for Boom in the first place? Shouldn't it be a free placeholder for Doom?

We did this debate a couple years ago.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/52262-vanilla-freedoom/

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/freedoom/44953-freedoom-maps-vanilla-compat-or-not-potential-contributors-only/

Catoptromancy said:

Freedm is vanilla. Deathmatch only, so no monsters to fight. Good to load a pwad with.

I didn't know that. Since FreeDM doesn't use ANY monster sprites (as far as I know) it might not be a good option for pwads. That doesnt stop people from loading pwads in regular freedoom though.

Considering that freedoom is the most complete free software single player fps (openquartz 2nd, Blasphemer 3rd, cube series doesn't count), it would be nice to have a source port which reduces the amount of copyrighted material, limiting it to megawads.

So far we have mentioned:

Chocolate Doom (no boom support)
PrBoom (only free content with various prboom.wad mods)

What about other source ports?
Does odamex.wad consist of free content?

Danfun64 said:

FreeDM doesn't use ANY monster sprites (as far as I know) it might not be a good option for pwads.

buildcfg: use real sprites in FreeDM iwad
Remove the #ifdef FREEDM section that makes all monsters appear as a black silhouette. This leaves sprites/{blank,nomonst}.gif unused. I believe the plan is that FreeDM will become a vanilla-compatible IWAD that the user can use with Chocolate Doom to play single player vanilla maps, so real monsters are needed in it.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freedoom.git/commit/?id=a33af58634fba0db14253b422ae7f10dfe3bc8a0

Yeah, when I first set up the FreeDM build I added the black silhouettes to save space, but storage and bandwidth are so cheap nowadays we might as well have the whole monsters in.

Considering that freedoom is the most complete free software single player fps (openquartz 2nd, Blasphemer 3rd, cube series doesn't count)

Why? Not being confrontational, just curious.

Edit: thanks!

Phml said:

Why? Not being confrontational, just curious.

I hope I'm not being off topic by posting this.

Freedoom has the most enemy graphics completed, and most of the level slots are filled. Most of the other graphics are also done. Open Quartz is kind of iffy, as some sounds aren't free software (Quake 2 text for one) but some mods remove some of that content. Blasphemer is filled with placeholder stuff and only has a couple off levels, if any. The cube games, although having a free software engine, use content which has non-commercial use policies, among other things. The only free software cube engine game, Red Eclipse, is purely multiplayer, at least atm.

Danfun64 said:

PrBoom (only free content with various prboom.wad mods)

Well, it's not that complicated: Get prboom-plus from SVN and run "./configure --disable-nonfree-graphics"