Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

Maybe first edit first page to organize them by the source port they were intended to play in.
zdLightCrap3 should go in the "zdoom" section, because it uses ACS. I think some might require gzdoom, not sure. Maybe 3 separate wads for zdoom vs prboom vs gzdoom etc.

Also here's a wad in progress that only shows (4 I think) big animated frames of a cacodemon on the floor, using acs's set color (looped through caco images with python, then "posterized"/ rounded colors to nearest whatever to reduce the number of separate colors so it ran faster), so is technically monochrome (falsely called "cyber" floor cuz I was originally gonna do a cyberdemon but that was too many pixels/slowdown). I can release whatever comes from this separately if we want to drop kick this project out the door sooner.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/bigCyberFloor.wad

schwerpunk said:

I agree, we need to cut the umbilical cord and push this baby out the door.
So for now, let's just focus on putting what we've got in order and if we want to include features like map/author names. I'm horrible at packing megawads, so if someone here knows how to, their help would be much-appreciated.

Have you got a date in mind when to finish/release this? On my part, inspiration for mapping just picked up again on my part, and my little project is still in shambles, so to say.

CorSair said:

Have you got a date in mind when to finish/release this? On my part, inspiration for mapping just picked up again on my part, and my little project is still in shambles, so to say.

I'm aiming for early May for everything being done and packed. I'll update the OP to indicated this.

Regarding formats (e.g. Boom, ZDoom, etc.): would it really be beneficial to separate the individual levels in this way? I'm not a big GZDoom user myself, but I think people would be more prone to play our packed megawad if it were all in one place - the common denominator being GZDoom. Although I think they should all play just fine in ZDoom as well, even if two of the levels would lose their main visual schtick.

I guess that would work. I guess at least sort by intended port though like maps 1 through x intended for prboom, maps x through y for zdoom, y through z for gzdoom or whatever. Probably lots of download links for wads in this thread are dead, haven't tried them.

So far (updated) ...

- 22 entries
- 16 completed maps
- 6 WIPs

Already available maps will be playtested one more time. Any (important) eventuality will be forwarded to the author and, either be fixed or compiled as is with a note.

nonbroken link of lightcrap:
http://filesmelt.com/dl/zdLightCrap4.wad

You probably have all maps on your computer since you knew which links were broken so you might as well make the final megawad. I'm not really even sure how since gzdoom is involved apparently. I know just click "save into" in doombuilder a bunch of times, but not sure if it has to be "zdoom doom in hexen" format or what (so all maps would work), and not sure of map order.

Cool,

Taking notes while in playtest. Order suggestion will follow. Let see who wishes to pack this beauty (from what I saw from the first map played - Abuse) up until Deadline time. If no "Are You Experienced" contributor applies, then I'll make the jump (always a first time, even if I Doom since '97).

Here's a working link to WhiteRoom.wad. Scientist's reupholstered entry is considered a full entry - reupholstered just means he changed the textures to fit this project. Finally, you're cleared to pack these into a megawad if you have the capability. It will make further playtesting and tweaking even easier.

Thanks for your contribution, pfl. You're just the kick in the pants this project needed. :)

Thanks for the link. This makes 16.

Thanks for the great words. I will reply "soon" with any significant progress.

Hmmmm an idea of trying to make visually interesting maps based off a dull monochrome texture selection....sounds interesting to me.

At least the maps would be alright for people still using black and white monitors!

unfortunatly i cannot finish my map for the deadline, there is so much to do and the long interruption destroied my mortivaion to finish it, but i will probably finish another one for the deadline (much less giantic of the previous one). monochromatic chaos will be finished, just now i have no time to code and properly place all the stuff i wanted to put into it (without counting all the sections that need to be reworked and other still to be done).

edit: unfortunatly zdoom don't support anchored sectors like EE do. have to change my original plans a bit...

Testing is almost finished but useless 'cause we have quality maps here :-). So very minor things that we'll leave it this way. Authors contacted. More maps coming ... and some nice ones. 18 completed maps. Some more to go.

Cacowad wrote:
unfortunatly i cannot finish my map for the deadline, there is so much to do and the long interruption destroied my mortivaion to finish it, but i will probably finish another one for the deadline (much less giantic of the previous one). monochromatic chaos will be finished, just now i have no time to code and properly place all the stuff i wanted to put into it (without counting all the sections that need to be reworked and other still to be done).

That's great that you can still provide something for it. Since there is many big maps, a smaller one will be perfect. And while we're at it, this project could stay open, no matter the upcoming "1.0 release" and cumulate any additional entry afterward, way up to a full megawad. So that Monochromatic Chaos can chill for a while ...

Da Werecat wrote:
The balance on my map still bothers me. I think there are way too much supplies, even on UV.

:-) Yes, it's the ONLY thing with it. It would be GREAT if you could spend very little time on it to lower it down a bit. The finished project will be very good and it's the only unbalanced map of the set from what I have tested yet. Pleeeease :-)

Fractal's link to his map Tessel Dose gives me an "empty map". He sent me another one but it's the same. Weird. Still waiting on this. UPDATE. The link on page 6 gives a working Tessel Dose. :-)

Obsidian wrote:
I'm guessing I got that email from you, pfl? :) My map's pretty much finished anyway.

Yeah :-), I found it late yesterday somewhere on the thread. Pretty much challenging. You won't be surprised to see it close the wad, wouldn't you :-? So I get from your word, "anyway", something towards a completed entry. :-))))

gggmork wrote:
If its not to much of a pain to update a map at this stage, here's my map slightly improved: 2 shell boxes inside cyber area, extra door so you can't vile jump near the exit at start, less moving keys so its more challenging to get them all

Your map is something. One of a kind, among thousands I've seen. I tried to get all the keys, it's kind of appealing, for no reason but I quit at some point; there wasn't any visual progress in my quest :-) I'll try that a two ...

Thought I would post a picture to show my map is still being worked on, which is now named "Paint the Town Red". (I've also been considering the name "Escape From Bumfuck Nowhere" as well, still haven't completely decided.)

Death Egg said:

http://i.imgur.com/uyiBev7.png

Thought I would post a picture to show my map is still being worked on, which is now named "Paint the Town Red". (I've also been considering the name "Escape From Bumfuck Nowhere" as well, still haven't completely decided.)

Haha! I think I like your first name better, but I haven't played the map, so you would know better. When do you think you'll have it done by? Ideally I'd like to have all the maps that are going in done before the May 6th deadline, although if you need every day up until the end we're not going to shut the door in your face on the 6th. :P

You thinking of a different skybox? I mean, any sky is allowed, but it does look like a placeholder, if you'll pardon me saying.

Yeah, it's very placeholder as of right now, the map isn't really close to completion, but I'll speed up production to try and fit it in before the deadline. There is a chance I won't make it but I'll certainly try to get something playable done by then.

Cool cool cool. Don't be too hard on yourself if you decide to mothball it until the next Monochrome Project - that's what I'm doing with my current map.

Well, I thought I have time on my hands, guess what? The opposite.
Since I have some shit to do, it means less time to interact with computer, and probably means I can't finish my doings.

I'll try my best to finish it, but I don't think I can make it in time...
In case you're interested of the state of map, it's largely unfinished. Crude layout has been done, it needs extensive shaping and gameplay testing.

schwerpunk wrote:
... until the next Monochrome Project - that's what I'm doing with my current map.

You really want to make different, smaller versions of the same idea ? I speak up to my tastes (only) when I say that I'd see it more of an evolutive project with updated versions, when new maps come in.

By all means, I hope to see more of these maps since the black & white gives Doom a really fine perspective. This Monochrome Project is one fine idea, even if it's not perfect/irregular.

pfl said:

You really want to make different, smaller versions of the same idea ? I speak up to my tastes (only) when I say that I'd see it more of an evolutive project with updated versions, when new maps come in.

By all means, I hope to see more of these maps since the black & white gives Doom a really fine perspective. This Monochrome Project is one fine idea, even if it's not perfect/irregular.

I guess this is as good a place to discuss it as any: This project was experimental from the very beginning, and the idea to turn it into a megawad came about haphazardly. I've felt a little flat-footed this whole time. The lack of limits is good for experimenting, but not so good when it comes to uniting and releasing a single megawad.

That said, 1) I don't mind releasing a hodge-podge megawad, and wouldn't mind us doing so again in the future (heh, it's not like I could even stop you guys from proceeding without me), and 2) I like the idea of having an ongoing 'Monochrome Map Thread' where people can post whatever they like. But I envision the next megawad as having more well-defined constraints on the types of maps that it will include. Including the visual narrative that was discussed a while ago. I'm looking at the Switcheroom! project as an example of this in action.

Re evolution: I agree, I like the open, experimental nature of this thread, and I hope that doesn't go away once this megawad is packed. I'll certainly be here to update the OP if anyone gets some inspiration after the May 6th deadline. :)

Hey guys just a quick update on my city map. I have hardly worked on it since I posted that screenshot about a month ago, I spent all that time making 3 maps for Switcharoom. Now that I'm done with that I've started working on this again & I hope to have it done by at least next weekend.

Jaws In Space said:

Hey guys just a quick update on my city map. I have hardly worked on it since I posted that screenshot about a month ago, I spent all that time making 3 maps for Switcharoom. Now that I'm done with that I've started working on this again & I hope to have it done by at least next weekend.

Fantastic. Can't wait to play it. Also, feel free to put it up for testing, even if you don't feel it's 'done' by next weekend.

Good hustle, guys.

Well here is a map. It's called Town Hall, Doom 2 Map 1, contains deathmatch & multiplayer starts. I've been working on this map for a long time, I never had a clear vision of what to do with it, so I decided to fill it to the brink with monsters & release it here. I think there is over 300 monsters on UV so this is a pretty tough map.

I'm still working on my city map, layout & monster placement still need some work & there are no items yet, but I will have that all finished in a couple of days.

Also I have 2 other maps in very early stages. My original plan for this project was to release a map for every texture color in Doom 2. Black, white, silver, grey, pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, & brown. So even though a Megawad will be released I will still be posting several more maps here.

I liked it. Unfortunately, I have to give up the computer in a moment so I can't provide detailed critique, so I'll just let my ZDoom FDA speak for itself.

I'll try to think of some things for improvement overnight, but on first consideration, I think I liked everything.

Jaws In Space gave: Well here is a map

Simple & good gameplay. The plasma secret area has some similarities with the Refueling Base map. Very close to 20 maps.

schwerpunk explained: many things

I see. A second project with more defined /or undefined :-) limits/perspectives/anything else. You know, I found that the black & white effect is a killer. Or bi-color. Spectacular.
Giving the maps some decent order in the wad is not simple but I have something in mind. I will give you my suggestion for it soon after the deadline is reached. I tend to think that the classification will give a better wad if it follows no logical order like we usually see (increasing size of the levels and difficulty). I'd go for a mood classification (changes, surprises ...).

But maybe best if grouped by whether they were intended to be played in prboom+, zdoom, or gzdoom, etc.