Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheSurroundGamer

Doom 3 BFG Edtion - Nvidia Surround - GTX 670 3-Way SLI

Doom 3 BFG Edtion - Nvidia Surround - GTX 670 3-Way SLI

This game is a classic! In the BFG Edition, you can see slightly upgraded graphics and native widescreen and Nvidia Surround support. There's also some really cool mods out there for this game to make it look even better. I mean, really, what more can I say? Dave Hester, help me out here!

Friends, your thoughts on Doom 3 BFG Edition?

Haha, welcome, newbie. Your enthusiasm is a welcome break.

While I don't own the BFG edition, your video made Doom 3 look a sight better than I remember. It's not really something I would sit and watch, because of the awkward angle of the camera, but it does provide a pretty good demo of what Doom 3 would look like on an eyefinity system.

Also, stick around. You'll quickly discover that there's a lot more going on in the Doom scene with the first two installments than the third one (as fun as it is).

Video makes my head spin. Which is odd, I usually don't get motion sickness and the like. What's the reason everything gets so distorted at the edges, anyway? I know it also happens on standard widescreens too, just curious as to why.

Phml said:

Video makes my head spin. Which is odd, I usually don't get motion sickness and the like.

Likewise. The effects were immediate and I couldn't watch it for more than a few seconds. A strange and new experience for me.

I watched the whole thing, and didn't really notice any visual oddities until the Vagary intro cutscene. It seemed as though the left and right screens were out of alignment with the center one during that time, like they were either slightly more magnified or they had spaces in between that didn't exist previously.

All in all, it's an intriguing video.

People here are grumpy and therefore decried the BFG edition as a "lame cash-grab", arguing that it was "too bright" and that the game was much better when you had to choose between weapon and flash light. :p

More seriously, though, the biggest problem is one you unwittingly alluded to do: mods. Mods created for the original release of Doom 3 and Doom 3: ROE are not compatible with BFG edition. Something about completely different archive formats, so old mods simply cannot be read by the new engine.

All that said, most of the debate has been on the classic Doom 1 and Doom 2 included within BFG edition, mostly to lament about the secret Wolfenstein 3D levels getting censored, and the red cross on the medikits and berserk replaced by a pill at the International Red Cross' behest.

DoomUK said:

Likewise. The effects were immediate and I couldn't watch it for more than a few seconds. A strange and new experience for me.

I don't get how people can get queasy just by seeing something. There must be more to it, such as foul smell or bad body movement, and none of those happen just by watching a 3D game. Unless the art is so abysmal that your aesthetic analyzers wish they would throw up, that is. Yeah, the side monitors have the image too distorted for these analyzers to like.

Gez said:

Mods created for the original release of Doom 3 and Doom 3: ROE are not compatible with BFG edition

There's no sign of anyone seriously addressing this, either. The Doom 3 modding community isn't as active as it used to be (expect for a handful of long-running projects), else I'm sure someone would have found some way around the unmoddability of the .resource format.

For all the negligible changes that were made, this one still leaves me utterly confounded. Almost makes me want to go into Mr. Chris mode and whine about it endlessly.

DoomUK said:

There's no sign of anyone seriously addressing this, either. The Doom 3 modding community isn't as active as it used to be (expect for a handful of long-running projects), else I'm sure someone would have found some way around the unmoddability of the .resource format.

For all the negligible changes that were made, this one still leaves me utterly confounded. Almost makes me want to go into Mr. Chris mode and whine about it endlessly.

Yeah, it's such a shame, I really want to play Phobos with the Rift and the improved responsiveness of the game.