Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Daiyu_Xiaoxiang

CC4 texture problems in XWE

Some textures in Community Chest 4 like "COMPTIL2", "COMPTIL3", "COMPTIL4" etc. won't load in XWE, I can't add in those textures. How can I solve this problem?

These textures are made of many "patches" so you won't find them as separate graphics. But if you open the TEXTURE1 lump and look for them, they should be there. I don't know what's the best way to extract such textures, I just take a screenshot and then crop the texture in MSPaint but there is probably much better way, like maybe some magical Slade button again, but I'm a dinosaur so I'm not switching to that modern heresy.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Some textures in Community Chest 4 like "COMPTIL2", "COMPTIL3", "COMPTIL4" etc. won't load in XWE, I can't add in those textures. How can I solve this problem?

By not using XWE.

Memfis said:

These textures are made of many "patches" so you won't find them as separate graphics. But if you open the TEXTURE1 lump and look for them, they should be there. I don't know what's the best way to extract such textures, I just take a screenshot and then crop the texture in MSPaint but there is probably much better way, like maybe some magical Slade button again, but I'm a dinosaur so I'm not switching to that modern heresy.

As a matter of fact, yes, there is a magical SLADE button. In the texture editor, select the texture in question, then use the Texture->Export to->File.

Loading cc4-tex.wad into XWE

click on TEXTURES on the bottom to display the TEXTUREx lumps. In this case there is only TEXTURE1. Type in the texture name in the search bar and hit enter

Unfortunately, there is no way to save this as an individual file. So the screenshot route is it.

However, Slade3 makes it a little bit easier.

Loading cc4-tex.wad into Slade3

in the Filter bar type in tex to display the TEXTURE1 lump.

Then click on Edit Textures, which will bring you to this

Now it gets a little bit cumbersome as there is no way to search for a texture name. But you know that, for example, COMPLIT2 starts with a C. So, press and hold the C button and the cursor will scroll through all textures, with emphasis on textures starting with C. The names will scroll by quite quickly, so stop every so often. But it will get there.

When COMPLIT2 is found, right click on the name and chose extract from the popup menu.

This will save the composite texture in png format.

You could have saved time and webpage space by not posting that slideshow tutorial. Case in point: XWE damages TEXTURE sets by deleting a random texture every once in awhile.

printz said:

You could have saved time and webpage space by not posting that slideshow tutorial.

This was done to help Daiyu_Xiaoxiang.

Since the pictures are linked to IMGUR, there is very little webpage space used up. If you are complaining about the images themselves, you must have realized by now that this forum does not use spoilers.

printz said:

Case in point: XWE damages TEXTURE sets by deleting a random texture every once in awhile.

Never had such a problem.

Technician said:

Is there an advantage to using XWE over Slade at this point?

Just the single fact, that you can open several pwads at one time, and easily copy/paste between them, makes it worthwhile to use Slade3.

GreyGhost said:

.... We're probably waiting for sirjuddington to declare one of the SVN builds stable enough to be the new official version.

I guess that depends mainly on the map editor part. While Slade3 as lump editor seems to have ironed out all bugs, the map editor still needs some work.

Gez said:

As a matter of fact, yes, there is a magical SLADE button. In the texture editor, select the texture in question, then use the Texture->Export to->File.

I actually didn't know about this. But now I do. Oh yes.

Technician said:

Is there an advantage to using XWE over Slade at this point?

Individual pixel deletion. I keep this in mind when I'm too lazy to manually remove 1 lone pixel error from 20+ images.

Daiyu_Xiaoxiang said:

Dammit my download file change into a Prboom-plus file!!! When I click inside, it changes into the Doom 2 game. What can I do?

Try "open with..."?