Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spazman

Doom Tactics: Evil Unleashed (PC RPG)

Hey guys. It's me again, and it's been a while. Just wanted to let everyone know that.. well, if anyone hasn't known about it yet, Me and a few buddies of mine have been working on a bit of a SNES - Early PSX-style FF-like RPG version of Doom.

Though, since we needed a bit more of a story to work from (And possibly create new ideas for), we have taken the liberty of creating this RPG somewhat based upon the Doom Alpha.

Map designs are somewhat borrowed from KDIZD, I made a good majority of the graphics of the game aside from the placeholder graphics from Doom.

So far, here's what we have working so far:

-Maps / Wall-detection / Random battles / Etc. working.
-A good variety of Doom / R667 monsters in.
-Doom Alpha elements put in (Teammates, Rolling Chairs, Computer-system speech, Weapons, etc.)

-Playable characters so far (In a party-system):

Flynn Taggart
Lorelei Chen
John Pietrovich

-Other Characters:

Dimitri Paramo
"Buddy" Dacote

-Over 115 maps made for it (Mostof which are hub-map segments at this point.)

-Doomguy HUD Portrait
-"shift-key" running
---

WIP Stuff:
-Statpoint / Perk system.
-Weapon / Battle system graphics
-Corpses appearing in-battle.
-Texture updates

---

Screenshots:

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h373/mjohnson092088/EU0000.jpg (Statpoint WIP, background of it from KDIZD.)
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h373/mjohnson092088/EU0001.jpg
(Perk WIP)
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/117/2/d/doom_rpg_imp_by_thespazztikone-d4xs9nw.png
(Sprite-editing of Imp to get it to look decent in a 16-color engine)
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/117/d/2/doomguy_walkabout_sprites_by_thespazztikone-d4xsa6z.jpg
(On-map sprites of the Doomguy.)
http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/063/0/1/it_is_not_dead__by_thespazztikone-d4rqigz.jpg
(One of the early maps for the Hell-area, showing early Doomguy sprites (OLD PIC) Also, Doom textures are placeholders.)
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/277/a/6/freaky_part_1_by_thespazztikone-d4buh6d.png
(Shot of a later area.)
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/212/c/d/new_portrait_by_thespazztikone-d59brmc.jpg
(Portrait Graphics for the Doomguy. One on the left was made by a past artist (Who'd never played Doom). My version is on the right.)
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/219/4/7/tei_tenga_hallway_wip_by_thespazztikone-d45rpbz.jpg
(WIP pic of Tei Tenga Hangar II Hallway.)

---

Even though most of this is still WIP (despite being worked on for the past year now), I do have a working download for it. (However, it may be buggy in some areas. Just looking for feedback here : D)

Any comments or anything, please comment.

(Also, thanks again Maes for Dimitri's voice : D)

Here's the download link:

(Removed due to WIP status)

The Statpoint screenshots look great. Very cool idea overall. The Doomguy portrait graphic looks good as well. I'll be watching this thread... Keep up the good work!

Whatever you do, please consider changing the title. No matter how cool it sounds, Evil Unleashed is the most overused title in Doom story of modding.

Lol, I guess I could change it to "Doom: Operation Darkside", but I'd wanted to fit the game along the lines of the Alpha story, retaining the episode names as well ^^'

If anyone's played this, could I get some feedback from it? I'm trying to work on a bit of a side-project with a buddy of mine to improve the map-tiling, but I was needing to know if the coding for the statpoint / perk system was holding up.

I'm pretty sure there's some fighting-balance issues, which we'll adress soon if anyone can provide commentary on this.

Be warned, the above link is to an OOOOOLD version of the game. There's been a lot done since that update.

Thanks a ton, dude. Perhaps if I can get Maes to help me out with Dimitri's Voice Acting again (And some VAs for the other marines), I can start back up the VA portion of the game : >

Sprucing up a few areas in here : >

Before:

After:

-------------

Before:

After:

Trying to figure out what else I could add to make it seem less empty.

Excellent, I was eagerly awaiting for more heh. The before shots looked quite good as well to be honest, I have no ideas on how to make it less empty however, all I can suggest is enemies and items (those will probably be implemented at the final stage). I seriously cannot wait for this.

Sent a PM your way. Need some help with this, in terms of mapping / design, and all that jazz.

So, I'm working on respriting enemies for the game, and trying to get them to NOT suck in quality.

First up, it's the Lost Soul, in the OHRRPGCE's 34x34, 16-color format:

(If it sucks, or if there's anything I can do to improve it, let me know.)

Finished another sprite up last night. Kinda went overboard with detail on this one, so in order to make it look good in-game, I had to make the body parts of this guy as separate 'Enemies'.

Here's the Cyberdemon:

(Again, Critique and advice will help me make these suck less.)

TheSpazztikOne said:

Finished another sprite up last night. Kinda went overboard with detail on this one, so in order to make it look good in-game, I had to make the body parts of this guy as separate 'Enemies'.

Here's the Cyberdemon:

http://i.imgur.com/gXnGzL9.png

Excellent spriting. I like the restricted palette. Definitely the best Doom sprite I've seen made from scratch. I like the exaggerated size of the cyber leg, but the armgun seems a bit off, like the angle isn't facing where the Cybie is looking? I think perhaps it's a bit big? Not sure how I'd change this, as it's likely intentional.

TheSpazztikOne said:

Here's the Cyberdemon:

NICE!!

Looks very detailed :)

Very cool! First shot with Doom guy's mug gave me the impression commander keen and wolfenstein had a mix-up.

New screenshots and info regarding this project:

I plan on adding a monorail / hub system.. not sure if it's a good idea or not.

What I have in mind is this:

Player starts in a small hangar / shipyard somewhere on the surface of
Tei Tenga --> Upon boarding an abandoned dropship, the player and his team make their way to Tei Tenga's "Darkside". The place isn't any safer. --> Upon searching the Darkside "Crater" area, you find your once-separated teammates and power up a monorail train. --> The train leads to a large central monorail station / hub in the center of Darkside. --> From there, the player can:

-Scavenge other areas of the planet to find survivors
-Complete missions in the surrounding facilities to unlock the final Anomaly division
-Take a monorail train to one of the few-standing inhabited areas on tei Tenga's surface. (Contains weapon stores / item stores / places to hire other teammates / etc.)

The endgame sequence for Episode 1 can be found when all missions in the surrounding military areas are completed and power is re-routed to Darkside Anomaly.

---

Just a few ideas I have going on. Looking for some feedback on this.

Haha.. I never even had 'Keen in mind while working on the structures / maps for this.

I can see the resemblance a bit now.

Looks good. Are you going to borrow from the other Doom RPG and have palette swaps of the monsters?

You could also use Doom 64's stuff, the Mother Demon in particular would be a great boss fight

Whoa. I completely forgot about replying to this thread, and I apologize for the considerable length of time before having done so.

I've been kinda off-and-on with this thing, as I'm dealing with other projects and juggling art commissions and all that jazz, but I'm slowly and surely coming back to this project.

Some significant news of the game's development lies mostly in the acquisition of Marnetmar as a mapper (perhaps try some other game-intensive stuff later, we'll have to see how things pan out : >)

A lot of the game's look is being redone from the ground-up, texture-wise.

It is to my understanding that some of the room layouts confused some people, so we're trying our best to make sure orientation in the map-switches isn't too frustrating.

Hopefully, to reduce the size of the game file altogether, we're going to try to work with the game in hubs, instead of linking room / maps together.

At times, the room-linking may be applicable, but I've seen that a good majority of it could be done away with.

I apologize if I'm rambling, and I apologize if I'm forgetting anything. Quite late here, and I'm trying to catch up with the on-goings with this : >

---

After the Hangar update, I'll try to release a new version of the game, for interested people on here.

Questions, Comments, and Suggestions are all welcomed, just make sure they're within reason. ^^