Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

The more modder & tester, the better mods?

Yogscast, a famous British Youtube-channel have made a video about OpenTTD previously:

After this, at least as I've heard, a lot of people looked for OpenTTD.

Would it be good for us too? I mean, would it be good if a lot more people would comment, ask, test, make maps and things like that?

Or you think that "more lions than sheeps"?

While this probably doesn't help much for the discussion at hand, large fanbases can actually tend to ruin things, especially if they get too demanding of small mod teams (or even individual authors). Projects can get out of hand as a result.

WildWeasel said:

While this probably doesn't help much for the discussion at hand, large fanbases can actually tend to ruin things, especially if they get too demanding of small mod teams (or even individual authors). Projects can get out of hand as a result.

It's totally easy to understand. Even 5 people needs months to finish maps and compare then to make everythong OK - what about 30 or more?! Just think of CC4

yes, but you're still thinking of individual contributions to make a finished game mod. In the real world of development, everyone has a hand in the pot. You can't own your resource, it's all for the game. the days of "sandy maps" and such are over.

And with that, there are lots of planning. Doom just worked because it was abstract enough to work. same with quake. Nowadays, I'm not so sure. KDIZD was build using this "all hands in the pot" technique and, well, you see what you got.

Csonicgo said:

KDIZD was build using this "all hands in the pot" technique and, well, you see what you got.

Actually, I loved that. Confusing layout was the only problem which can be solved with the right people.

Anyway, the matter is that the more contributors in the same project, the more time is necessary to finish that

More people doesn't mean more betterer, necessarily. Having a large group of people who aren't willing to be really critical can be worse than having no testers at all -- a bunch of people telling you you're doing everything right is going to make you complacent. Get somebody who you really trust to be able to judge what's fun.

Technical bugs are important to report, undoubtedly, but it's really important to have playtesters and other team members who can look at the actual combat, pacing, and exploration with a critical eye and go into your maps with the mindset of "What can I find that could be improved?"

From what I've seen, this is something that KDiZD's playtesting phase unfortunately really lacked.