Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Icelandic pirate party gets elected to congress

Well, our (Iceland's) elections are now over and...the pirate party of all parties actually got 5.1% of the vote thus crossing the 5% limit required in order to get people into our congress.

We have 63 congressmen. I uploaded the picture of our results and translated some of the stuff to make it easier for you guys to understand.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/421/congressl.png

So yea, the pirate party actually got 3 seats in congress...

There were also a good number of other parties that ran but did not cross the 5% limit required to get seats.

And oh yea, the leftist parties (who have been in power for the past 4 years) suffered what many experts are claiming to be the worst election defeat for any government in Western Europe since the end of World war 2. Serves the fools right :D

NOTE: The numbers right to the "seats" shows how many seats that party gained or lost compared to what they had before the election and the numbers below "seats" show the seats that they have now after the election. Just wanted to make it clear to avoid misunderstandings.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Is it possitive or negative that the pirate party got seats in our congress?

It's not bad. Someone needs to side with the information sharing ideology. I'm just thinking… isn't all this "pirating" anti-copyright movement some form of new communism? A country where everyone can obtain anything digital sounds utopian.

hardcore_gamer said:

So, what are your thoughts on this? Is it possitive or negative that the pirate party got seats in our congress?

Well, what is the pirate party platform exactly?

I think some parties should be banned (not the pirate party).
if a party proposes to offend, lessen, hurt, or damage the human kind, morally, psychologically, phisically, or even socially, they should be banned and not permitted to organize in any way, let alone participate in an election. picture the nazi party, or anything of the like. Here in Argentina, where I'm from, we have a few of these options, not exactly nazi they are, but they tend to propose things that go against human rights, and merely anything reasonable to be a government platform, and they have been banned by the supreme court, several times, election after election.
so, in conclusion, if the pirate party proposes "a different view" of sociaty's problems and how to solve them, but they don't "lessen" humanity, just let them be, and let the people choose. They'll have the government the majority wants to have.

ps: sorry for my rough english

GreyGhost said:

As a Pastafarian, I heartily approve of this development.

I never thought I would see another human being a Pastafarian. *High-five*

DoomUK said:

Apparently pirate parties support civil rights, freedom of information and shit. Here's Iceland's.

Admittedly, I'd want to know more about them before voting.

OK, I can support these guys, as long as they are fighting to fix the broken patent/copyright laws and preserve information neutrality. I was just cautious becasue anything founded in Sweden and elected in Iceland is probably just ultra-liberal shit.

DoomUK said:

Well, now we know who'd Maes vote for.

As for the party getting into the congress...meh. Most likely it won't matter; the other congress member will probably ignore the pirates simply because they're the new, small kids in town, and partially for that same reason the pirates won't be contributing much outside of their own small agenda.

Jodwin said:

Well, now we know who'd Maes vote for.

No, I think Maes would be more inclined to vote for a party like the Gold-- oh OK, I see what you did there.

cannonball said:

I knew a pastafarian called Mack on another forum I was on. He was groovy.

the more interesting aspect of the election is that the rightwing parties that bankrupted iceland are back in the saddle and thus iceland won't be joining the european union. oh well.

dew said:

the more interesting aspect of the election is that the rightwing parties that bankrupted iceland are back in the saddle and thus iceland won't be joining the european union. oh well.

I personally could not be more happy with the fact that we are no longer heading into the EU.

It was like a mini-christmas learning that.

hardcore_gamer said:

I think it's great that Iceland uses a modern system of proportional representation that allows small parties to be properly represented. It's a shame that countries like the UK and US, that love to talk about democracy so much, implement it in such a backwards way.

What's really surprising about this situation to me is the fact that the pirate party has accumulated the least amount of overall votes, not the fact that someone was actually voting for it.
I was expecting for it to be voted for. I would've voted for it, if I lived there.
I was expecting it to be the highest voted party, to make the governments and corporations shit their pants.
That would've made my day.

fraggle said:

It's a shame that countries like the UK and US, that love to talk about democracy so much, implement it in such a backwards way.

Unfortunately the powers-that-be appear to regard proportional representation as being something akin to communism - conceptually sound but a threat to their power base.

188DarkRevived said:

I was expecting it to be the highest voted party, to make the governments and corporations shit their pants.

5.1% is a surprisingly good result for what many would consider to be a single-issue party.

GreyGhost said:

Unfortunately the powers-that-be appear to regard proportional representation as being something akin to communism - conceptually sound but a threat to their power base.

It's more that the dominant political parties that have the power to reform the system have the most to lose from doing so, so it's in their interests to prevent any such reform from happening.

fraggle said:

It's more that the dominant political parties that have the power to reform the system have the most to lose from doing so, so it's in their interests to prevent any such reform from happening.

I thought that's what I said, don't tell me my posts are starting to read like gggmorks!

Quasar said:

The people have the power to reform the system too. They're just afraid to use it.

But if I use one of my many firearms to fight tyranny, I could go to jail.

pablogener said:

I think some parties should be banned (not the pirate party).
if a party proposes to offend, lessen, hurt, or damage the human kind, morally, psychologically, phisically, or even socially, they should be banned and not permitted to organize in any way, let alone participate in an election. picture the nazi party, or anything of the like. Here in Argentina, where I'm from, we have a few of these options, not exactly nazi they are, but they tend to propose things that go against human rights, and merely anything reasonable to be a government platform, and they have been banned by the supreme court, several times, election after election.
so, in conclusion, if the pirate party proposes "a different view" of sociaty's problems and how to solve them, but they don't "lessen" humanity, just let them be, and let the people choose. They'll have the government the majority wants to have.

ps: sorry for my rough english

I agree with the points you made with banning parties, but is that may not be both a dangerous road to go down as well as contradictory? 1 legal party could go into power and do a nazi germany and ban all other parties (unless I got my pre world war 2 history leasons in school wrong).

Also if there is parties being formed with these believes, there are people who want to vote for it (even if it's 1 or 2 people). In democracy, shouldn't we be, you know practise democracy? Like you, I don't want the next Nazis in power, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't give them a chance.

Then again, I know very next to nothing on UK politics, never mind politics fullstop, and I'll vote for the 1st party I can vote for out of the Pirate Party or the Monster Raving Loony Party, but I can't because they arn't in my constigancy.

cannonball said:

Thought you were a Dudeist based on your avatar, but as a Dudeist priest, I abide with your beliefs in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, even if fellow Dudeists don't. I believe in a few things of the Pastafarians believe in and in my eyes, Bobby Henderson is a great dude.

Scottland89 said:

I'll vote for the 1st party I can vote for out of the Pirate Party or the Monster Raving Loony Party

Perfect example of why "silly" parties are a good idea. They allow people to deliver a loud "fuck you" to the main political parties without people having to appear to espouse political views that they don't actually hold.

I always wondered if all those people who voted for UKIP in the European Parliament elections in the UK really wanted to leave the EU entirely.

Scottland89 said:

I agree with the points you made with banning parties, but is that may not be both a dangerous road to go down as well as contradictory? 1 legal party could go into power and do a nazi germany and ban all other parties (unless I got my pre world war 2 history leasons in school wrong).

Also if there is parties being formed with these believes, there are people who want to vote for it (even if it's 1 or 2 people). In democracy, shouldn't we be, you know practise democracy? Like you, I don't want the next Nazis in power, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't give them a chance.

Then again, I know very next to nothing on UK politics, never mind politics fullstop, and I'll vote for the 1st party I can vote for out of the Pirate Party or the Monster Raving Loony Party, but I can't because they arn't in my constigancy.

I think WE SHOULD NOT give those parties a chance. Even if one or two, people want to vote for them. The institutes of the peoples representation shouldn't channel views against humanity. What is freedom? how can we organize ourselves as a nation, to keep our own safe and sound from whatever might try to hurt us, even if it's ourselves?? I think it's not an easy question.