Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

I'll leave this one to schwerpunk. All maps work fine with GZDoom so far. If changing port three times during the game gives some benefit for the players over a good simple ride with GZDoom ...

I know the standard practice is to pack the wads in order of sourceport playability, starting from 'primitive' and ending in most advanced: E.g. from Vanilla, to Boom, to GZDoom, etc. I think the logic behind this is that people can load up the megawad in their sourceport of preference and play until the game crashes later, at the more advanced levels. Then, if they want to keep playing, I guess they just reload the megawad in the next higher sourceport and IDCLEV to wherever they left off... Really, the only way to play the entire megawad is with G/ZDoom, though. So I'm not sure this method presents much of an advantage, unless people somehow prefer playing a megawad until it crashes??? :-/

I'm almost of the mind that we should release two megawads: #1 with the levels ordered logically from easiest to hardest, and #2 with the levels ordered from Vanilla to GZDoom.

pfl: You mentioned you're going to attempt to pack the wads in order of playability (difficulty and weapons, I'm guessing). I think you should proceed in this manner, and if we decide to pack the levels in order of sourceport, then we can do that later.

That's what I think too. If GZDoom can handle all maps correctly, why bother further much? This is "only" a collection of unrelated maps based on a stylistic experience ... since it's a pistol start every time, if we need to add a change of port during the play, then, we should let the project like it is right now: in seperate files. So,

- Will be packed in for GZDoom.

- Will have +/- 20 pistol start maps.

- order of the maps to come.

On that matter, if I may, ordering the maps by an increasement of difficulty/etc. is suited for a wad with continuity. We don't have this here. Every single maps is an experience of it's own, with different textures, different gameplay, different everything. Having played all maps recently, I know there is no such progression between the maps. That's why I will suggest a classification based on some mood/presentation/impact. Let me arrange this once and see if we all like it. If it's not good, we'll make the changes ... (my first idea is to present the maps in some way that it becomes addictive, even if it's pistol start. A small mindblowing first map, then a second completely different, then a challenge, then some stricking effect, etc.)

here is another small map. I made this yesterday to take a break from my city map, I find that I get board if I work on one map for to long. My city map is nearly done though, I still expect to release it this weekend.

Your mapping is fast.
Brown Room is indeed the name :)
This is the third "brown" map in the list.
It's also the smallest & the simplest.
I'd also say it doesn't match the standard of the others, even though it's well done and has a challenge at the end. Do you feel it should be included? On my side, I doubt a bit; it feels too ordinary, like a newbie map done perfectly. We'll see what schwerpunk thinks too :-).

If you have time, I find there is much ammo in Support Storage. Do you think you could double check that for us and send us back a revised version? It would be great.

Can't wait to see the city ...

Well thanks for letting us know the maps are designed for pistol start only. Since I plan on LP'ing this project in the future, it's nice to know so I can play the maps properly.

Suitepee: Hey, man. Welcome to the thread. Don't mind the mess - we're in the middle of spring cleaning. ;)

Jaws In Space: Nice - Boom compatible. I died at the Archie, but everything up until then was fun. Nice build-up in difficulty, did you implement difficulty levels? I played on HMP and the ammo was a little overabundant after the first three rooms (maybe hide some in secrets or an optional side-area, otherwise it just feels like infinite ammo), especially after getting the 'zerk. I like the teleporter next to the crusher, and the dark teleporters in general; that's good communication with the player. Seems linear, though.

If we do a 'proper' megawad in the future this kind of map would probably be off the table, but we've already got another brown map, so I don't see why this shouldn't be included as well! Yes, it's simple, but it's also fun. The only thing I would like to see changed is a little tighter ammo and difficulty levels (if you haven't added them yet).

Also looking forward to your city map.

pfl: where do you think nonstandard maps like this one should go? There's the possibility of mixing it in among the more black & white maps, or sticking it at the end since it's a bit off-theme.

One Brown Room included :-) (Played it a second time and I want to retrieve my call for the "ordinary map". I feel cheap for it and I donno why I let this go. Please forgive my fingers ... Jaws).

I thought at first to put the two BROWN maps we had then on the map 31/32 spots as secrets, since they were different in "colors". But now that we have three, this will likely not work ... They will be integrated here and there. I will try my best to position the maps in this compilation to give everyone one great surprising and exciting "voyage". I sound like Star Trek ...

*UPDATE* Many authors have been contacted in relation with the eventual release of the maps as one big wad and it's correlated deadline. I still receive updated/fixed version now and then. It's great. This is rolling well. I encourage everyone who still has something for it to keep on. You are contributing to the most original project in years ... I sound like some motivaThor.

@gggmork

I have played zdLightCrap5. It's an awesome map. In what port are you playing it? I feel your comment about ports will make sense afterall since when I play it, in either zdLightCrap4 or 5, the number of keys stays the same :( For the visual, I prefer the 4, the one with lots of them in it :).

Thanks, hmm. Filesmelt is the one putting a number on the end, I just keep uploading the same updated file with the same name so maybe make sure you play the actual file you download, I guess filesmelt will name this one number 6 (in this one I only have 6 keys, but the rest are stimpacks/backpacks/armorbonuses. This way you don't just pick up all the keys way to easily without even trying.) So you should see backpacks etc if you play the right file version this time.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/zdLightCrap6.wad
This map is for zdoom.

Actually I'm starting to like your ordering ideas. All the maps will probably work in zdoom, even gzdoom intended ones but you won't see the special effect lighting or whatever unless you use gzdoom for those. Also I guess all maps would work in gzdoom (which I rarely use).

just to let you know i am really working on this:

i think i will call it "Monochromatic affinity" or something.

layout : 60% done.

scripting: 1% done.

monsters and items: 0% done.

@ Cacowad: That's a fu****g good news :) I see the progress ... will you bust the deadline ? If you think so, and since you're not the only one, we'll need to set a time extension, PROBABLY :).

@ gggmork: I see. So I have many zdLightCrap in my folder :). I love the idea of the 6 keys only. But I also love the "in your face kinda secret room" with the keys mayhem. The visual impact it gave me when I first played it was : "Damn awesome". I try not to influence you :) You're the boss ...

@ pfl: where's your map?

Cacowad: Tantalizing! Lots of intriguing little rooms, and what is up with all those action linedefs. I am scared. o_O;

Any idea on an ETA? I agree with pfl (especially since he's volunteered to pack the megawad, hehe), if it takes a little longer to finish I won't be heartbroken. Ideally, we'd still be all finished by early May, though. And as has been previously stated, this is an ongoing project: it doesn't end with the megawad.

EDIT: I just realized I've been remiss in updating the thread with new entries. I've added all the stuff from the past two pages now, bringing us to UPDATE #14! :D

i don't know for the other mappers here, but i should be able to finish my map it for the deadline, and don't worry it will be a nice little map ^^

edit: what appened there?

Sadly I've once again hit mappers block with the map I was making, and I doubt I will be able to submit the finished map in time without severely rushing it. Maybe next time.

Well here is an Alpha of my city map. I thought I would have this done this weekend, but my dad who playtests all of my levels for me has been busy with work so I haven't gotten any feedback from him on how the map plays. I played through it myself on Friday & just hated it, so I have been doing some major revisions, I think I added about 6 buildings around the map. Everything to the left of the starting room is almost 100% complete, a few more monsters will be added & I also need to finish placing items on ground level. The right half of the map is another story, 2 buildings have almost no monsters & there are no items except a few health packs. Still even with all the things I have yet to do I still plan of finishing this map before the May 6th deadline.

Obsidian was worried:
Any reason why my one's still "pending"? :P

Yes, I haven't give schwerpunk every updates I have received (and still receive) yet. I think he will be informed by now :) but even so, I will do so right after ...

@Jaws In Space : I am 5 times a dad already :-) so I will playtest it right away for you (I will be smarter in my comments than the last time though :-)) EDIT. What a cool map. This is some hard shit gameplay on UV. The second toughest of the bunch. The visual is also perfect. I died three times before I realized I had to bring my skills one step ahead :). Ammo is hidden and well balanced. VERY GOOD. Have you consider my demand as to lower the ammo on Support Storage?.

@Death Egg: SAD SAD SAD. So there will not be any Escape From Bumfuck Nowhere ? Your map looked so good. Could you consider a fast implementation of ammo/monsters to make it live in it's actual condition for the benefit of the project? It was one of a kind and since this is experimentation, well, it would be perfect to let it in as it is ... if you can :-)

I mean, I could try and see if I could get it done still, but it's mostly the map layout that's the problem, as it is not even close to completion. But I suppose I could see if I could finish it.

What I'm trying to say is, I guess don't wait up for me completely, unless I manage to almost get it complete before the due date, in which case, wait up for me. :P

Well, I think we'll have some time extension for you my friend: it's worth it. Tell us what you can achieve & and how much time you need more for it. If it's too long, we'll bring on our hitmen :-)))))

schwerpunk is the time extension manager ... :)

@Cacowad: Nice indeed. I feel you went into the darkside :-)))) Don't see that too "negative" :-))

Well as it currently stands, the first 1/8 of the map is the only part really close to completion, while the rest either doesn't exist or has a few fragments made. I'll probably have to scale back some of what I had in mind to make it in time but I was probably going to do that anyway.

In the meantime, here is a small teaser of a building I've been working on in it:

I really like this Monochromatic Project

@Death Egg: You make yourself desirable. This project needs you. BUT you didn't answer the question ­>:-( ... please kinda try to evaluate for how much time will you delay the plane and it's passengers :-))))

Ah right, if I were to try and get the majority of the map done, at the very worst it'd take an extra six days to a week after the original date. At the best I'd make it in just in time.

Death Egg said:

Well as it currently stands, the first 1/8 of the map is the only part really close to completion, while the rest either doesn't exist or has a few fragments made. I'll probably have to scale back some of what I had in mind to make it in time but I was probably going to do that anyway.

In the meantime, here is a small teaser of a building I've been working on in it:

Doom it out in DC.

Death Egg said:

http://i.imgur.com/NDggIgx.png

Freaking awesome and unique. Would love to see this completed as well. Remember, you don't have to reach for the stars. From what I've seen already, visually, it's a winner - just needs gameplay, some progression, and an ending.

Jaws in Space: Just played your alpha, and I really like the open ended structure of the map. Great items and monster placement. Hard, but fair.

oh, well, that is:

layout: finished.

scripting: completed.

monsters & items : more or less done.

/*i should be able to complete it tomorrow, it will be orrible to balance properly.*/ DONE!

EDIT:\\ so, there it is http://www.mediafire.com/?mn5i4cxizb6i5uq

pro: Nigthmare! friendly...

probably not very well balanced, let me know if you find something wrong.

known issues: Thing_hate don't seem to work and i have no clue why.
was not able to hide the automap, so if you can, don't look at it while playing.
in a secret area there is a teleport not properly working when walking too fast, don't know why.

special thanks to gggmork for acs help.

@ Cacowad: I'll get my armory ready for tomorrow.

@ ducon: dans le sens de DC comics ou Washington ? Autre chose qui m'échappe ? Moi je suis plutôt gros con :)

@ schwerpunk: thank you for the PM. I wish to share the flowers with you too :)

Just to show how much stuff I have done (not much, to be honest)... Unfinished version. And @Schwerpunk, no, this doesn't mean update to OP. ;)

It doesn't contain enemies, nor exit, nor much of item placement. Music is included though, Plasma from DN3D. (Quite fitting in my opinion.)

:edit:
Map's name by the way is Ultramarine Kingdom.