Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

I'd really like to make something for 7th circle, but I'm unsure really what I want to do with it:

Would you prefer a sort of orchestra style track, or a heavy metal track?

Updated the first page with some recent midi claims. Does Bad Blood by mouldy have a midi? Cause there doesn't seem to be one listed for it.

I like the sound of something evil and orchestral for 7th circle.

Still no music for bad blood - if we are allowing music from other wads then I'll have a listen through some of the oldies to find something that fits.

dobugabumaru said:

^ In one of my earlier posts I said metal2 fits your map somewhat well, although I think Brace2 could also work (still don't think it's fitting for Admin). This midi can provide a creepy, dark atmosphere if you were going for that.

Ah, I like metal2 for bad blood, I'll go with that if no one else has requested it.

Paul D said:

Mashup of "Adrian's Asleep" and "On the Hunt"

heh, that works pretty well

2 things:

I think I'll change my mind about the midi for Sewer city. I ran through it with the midi attached and it's too low key for such a long and big level. It's not an "actioney" midi at all, so let me re-evaluate.

Also,

I'm gonna work on a few more skies this weekend so we have something to work on. Personally, I like to try stuff that hasn't been done before, but maybe we just want brown-red clouds...?

Download Iron Exuviae (v1)

It's a somewhat unorthodox map with a handful of crude puzzles. I'm interested in seeing what you guys thing and how you fare at both the puzzles and fights. skills 2 and 3 haven't been playtested but are there, and there's a bunch of texture alignment left to do.

Also remember it's MAP31.

haha wow. I was wondering how you got a single map to 4mb, that massive room made even my monster pc gasp.

I managed to get to the exit (thanks to a pen and paper) but feel like I missed a lot of the map, didn't see any monsters. Have to have another go I think.

Progress Report:

As of the inclusion of 'Iron Exuviae' to the maplist, we have 23 complete levels for NOVA thus far. We also have what I believe to be at least three near-complete maps, namely 'Extorta Nova', 'Hush' and my own 'Sensorium', which if finished, would bring the map count up to 26 levels. There is also 'River of Blood' which could be a decent map if polished and completed, and 'Roundtable' is on the cards for inclusion if we don't finish by the end of June, which is two months away. With these two maps included, the level count jumps up to 28, leaving us with only 4 more maps needed and 5 more if we want to delete 'Roundtable' from the maplist. Almost all of the maps have MIDIs in place at this point even if some don't fit as well as their creators would ideally want and sky textures are being taken into consideration.

Here's how I think the deadline system should work:

32 finished maps before June 30th:
- 'Roundtable' is excluded from final release.
- July 31st shall be the deadline in terms of getting everything ready for an /idgames release. In this time we sort the maps, test them, and add custom huds/title pics etc. if we haven't already. Once we've either got all that done to satisfaction or July 31st hits (whichever comes sooner), we compile everything and upload to /idgames. We're done!

31 finished maps before June 30th
- If there is a 32nd map almost finished, we give an extra 14 days (July 14th deadline) for the maker to submit a finished version of it to us. If it submitted beyond that date, we cannot make promises for its inclusion.
- If we don't get a near finished map, 'Roundtable' is included as the 32nd finished map of the wad.
- July 31st deadline for /idgames release preparation as above.

28-30 maps finished on June 30th.
- 'Roundtable' is included, bumping up map total to somewhere between 29-31 levels.
- We wait until July 14th for any near-finished maps to be included within this time. If this jumps the map total up to 33, 'Roundtable' is discluded from the final project release.
- If after this we are left with 1-3 map slots unfilled, we are committed to finishing the project and we give an extra two months (31st August deadline) for additional maps to be submitted for the project. 14 September shall be the deadline if there is a near finished map on August 31st and we still have not reached 32 maps.
- Deadline for uploading to /idgames is at latest 30th September (otherwise, a month from when we recieve the last map to fill the wad)

27 finished maps or less on June 30th:
- 'Roundtable' is included in final release, bringing the total up to at most 28 maps.
- Wait until July 14th for any more near-finished maps to be completed, if we get them and the total jumps to 29 maps, including 'Roundtable', we follow the above rules and wait until August 31st for more maps, uploading to /idgames on September 30th/a month from when we get the 32nd map.
- Otherwise, July 31st deadline for sorting everything out as listed above and then we submit to /idgames.

^ It's a good schedule to follow, but I'm fairly confident that we'll have 32 by the time July rolls around. We've gotten a few in the past months so it's likely we'll always get a couple more contenders. Also, I bet my account that I'll have "Immundum" done for the deadline, so that's 29 maps.

@dobugabumaru

Love the visuals of the map. You've clearly spent a lot of time on this. Kinda dark, if you're gonna add monsters that might be a problem. Don't add any spectres. :p

I hate puzzles, tho. I did not get the yellow key card puzzle. To be honest, had I encountered this map in a megawad, I wouldn've skipped past it after getting frustrated at being forced into solving puzzles I don't get.

@kildeth: I've been putting in time on the weekends fixing up my map so I should be able to to meet the deadline no prob. I'd really like to get around to playing everybody else's levels in this project. Its shaping out to be epic...

@dobug: dude! Judging from the pic and your past work (mainly The Sigil), your level looks wicked awesome!

EvilNed said:

To be honest, had I encountered this map in a megawad, I wouldn've skipped past it after getting frustrated at being forced into solving puzzles I don't get.

Yeah, I knew the "gameplay" for the first half of it would be a bit of a turn off (although I'm glad moudly go through it which means it's not impossible to figure out!). It's a bit of a shame since I'm really proud of the big underground battle near the secret part of the map, which I suspect only a few people will get to or care about finding, but it is what it is.

Involved puzzles are always only going to appeal to a niche crowd (Doom is an action game at heart, of course) so a very mixed/ambiguous public reception to them is to be expected. I'm quite alright with puzzle maps, precisely because they are such a rarity. If they were more common, I imagine I'd probably be considerably less open to them. Puzzle or no puzzle, however, I myself am intrigued by maps that start out silent (or nearly so) and stay that way for a while, with some kind of huge clusterfuck breaking loose once the player reaches a certain point or performs certain actions. In some few cases, these elements can be combined in an interesting way, with the quiet part of the map being puzzles that eventually unlock big fights, which may or may not be optional. A recent example of this was 'Doxylamine Moon' from Sacrament, which begins as almost pure exploration (with almost no combat), with an optional "scavenger hunt" sort of puzzle, the completion of which unlocks a hidden battle where the whole map suddenly fills with demons to fight (the ostensible reward being some equipment for continuous play). I thought this was quite cool, although in truth I think there should've been a lot more monsters involved in that secret battle.

Anyway, forgive me for blathering on, as I've not actually tried the map, but I wanted to say that it sounds like a very interesting idea (as do some other maps in this project) and is not without precedent in WADmaking. I'll be sure to try it out when NOVA is released.

If I'm honest, the yellow key puzzle nearly made me quit - I don't know if there was some kind of clue to the route that avoids the teleporters but i ended up just doing trial and error and that kind of puzzle gets tedious very fast.

One puzzley map 31 that really sticks in my mind - I cant remember the wad it was from - it was a big metal building with switches and moving walls everywhere, and the normal exit was right at the start so you could give up any time you wanted. I never did find the secret exit but I liked the idea of having a cowards way out, somehow that gave an extra incentive to find the secret exit. Does that map ring any bells for anyone?

mouldy said:

One puzzley map 31 that really sticks in my mind - I cant remember the wad it was from - it was a big metal building with switches and moving walls everywhere, and the normal exit was right at the start so you could give up any time you wanted. I never did find the secret exit but I liked the idea of having a cowards way out, somehow that gave an extra incentive to find the secret exit. Does that map ring any bells for anyone?

That's from reverie

mouldy said:

If I'm honest, the yellow key puzzle nearly made me quit - I don't know if there was some kind of clue to the route that avoids the teleporters but i ended up just doing trial and error and that kind of puzzle gets tedious very fast.

I'd rather not have people brute force it so I'll change it to be more accommodating.

dobugabumaru said:

I'd rather not have people brute force it so I'll change it to be more accommodating.

Does that mean there was a clue? I could see the red lights changing but couldn't make any connection

cannonball said:

That's from reverie

ah nice one cheers. Have to have another go now that I have doom builder...

mouldy said:

Does that mean there was a clue?

Yeah, the five red lights are up first and hitting the switches will lower some of them. I wanted the player to lower all the red lights so the green ones behind them would be shown, indicating the correct combination, but I made it tricky by darkening one red light and leaving the pump behind it off as a sign that it doesn't work. Because of that, one of the switches would lower that broken red light but simultaneously lower an adjacent green light so it would provide a wrong combination. Additionally, the correct path is all the way in the back which can be very misleading as the player can hit the two "correct" switches but still be unable to find the path.

I'll probably babify it and just have two switches lower all of the red lights and make the correct path more noticeably to take. Or, I might have the switches lower a shield to the pumps and you have to notice which two pumps are on in order to indicate the correct combination.

pfft, I could hardly work it out even after you described it. I think just having the combination to get all the green lights without the broken one would be puzzle enough - because I couldn't ever get all green I figured the lights were just a random distraction so i never related them to anything.

I had another go and still couldn't find the secret, after having a sneaky look in doom builder I can honestly say I can't imagine anyone ever finding it though, unless there is a super cryptic clue that I missed..

Gorgeous looking map by the way, really insane looking.

Yeah, the lifts in the yellow key puzzle tend to go too fast so it's hard to even tell what switches show which lights. The puzzle was one of the last things designed and I honestly just wanted to get rid of this map by that point that I thought it was satisfactory. And this is the hint for the secret exit. I was hoping that the odd structure on the floor would correlate to the symbol before the teleport section if the player was paying close attention (as the shaft beyond the grate there feature an odd combination of torches).

oh man, i did work my way back to that room but didn't think to look out the grate. What with all the weird shit going on in that map I just assumed it was some scenery in there. Well, as secrets go its a tough one but i guess the clue is there to reward the diligent, and it is a super secret after all.

In preparation for a potential second submission I've been playing through the latest alpha of this project to provide feedback and see if there's any obvious gaps. I'm on MAP12 so far and do have a few screenshots and notes, but I'll get back in one lump when I'm all done.

Here is hopefully the last and final revision of my map. If there are any glaring problems with it, then of course I'll do what needs to be done to get it fixed...

DOWNLOAD EXTORTA NOVA FINAL!

Changes since b2
----------------
*Removed clutter. There is now far less restricted movement.
*Fixed a lot of visual oddities, glitches, and misaligned textures
*Personally tested everything
*Spent a lot of time balancing and tweaking
*Completly overhauled almost every event in the map!

fiend-o-hell said:

Here is hopefully the last and final revision of my map. If there are any glaring problems with it, then of course I'll do what needs to be done to get it fixed...

Cool, it didn't kick my arse quite so hard this time. Great looking map too.

once again ignoring my mapping obligations to make midis.

I've listened to combined like 15 hours of megadeth and iron maiden since then so I've got a bit more new inspiration.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39292814/riff2.mid

just started this one, figuring out where to go with it next.

not sure if sawtooth works for bass. Also, trying to figure out another melodic segment. Also, the really fast tempo part might be unfitting.