Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 2013? More like MARCHem 2014. 3.9.14 realease?!?

Scypek2 said:

Will you be my fwiend then? ;)

Intermission is a silly thing I did in a moment (But that's better than nothing, I guess?:P), But on the title pic I spent almost an hour. Only programs I used were MS Paint and some simple program for adding watermarks (for adding shot of Eerie Canals from 2012 in the background). You can consider it a graphical equivalent of vanilla doom modding...

Edit:
Aaand, let the MAYhem begiiin! (It's may GMT, isn't it?)

Do those work with the current doom palette? I could make use of that second one...possibly, but I doubt they will look right with the current doom palette, which I dont plan to change (*ahem*this year)

And it may be May in GMT, but there are still six hours by doomworld time and seven hours by Donut time. Im still trying to get a few inevitable nitpicks with this years rules written down before I post!

Yes, it is, and now it is May also here in middle Europe GMT+1. Where are our project specifics? :3

On topic and on serious note: The pictures don't show up, at least for me.

EDIT: TheMionicDonut kind of overtaken me. Sorry for quite useless post.
EDIT2: Also it seems I don't orient well in timezones :/ I really thought that when it's midnight in the Czech Republic, then it's one in the UK. Wrong, wrong...

I live in the UK (birth of GMT) and it's just past 11 here (yay British summer time :P)
I shall get crack Thursday onwards as I'm too busy tomorrow. Looking forward to the theme announcement.

Maybe (pun not intended). I thought it'd be that in 40 minutes, but I suppose there's Daylight Savings Time to account for...

It's certainly May somewhere west of the International Date Line, though

SURPRISE BIZZOYS!

I always go on GMT! But Daylight Savings Time was totally applied.

Regardless, check OP for details.

I declare MAYhem 2013 to be OPEN! You have until this time on the 31st of May to send stuff in (Though I know for a fact I will be out for that weekend. Derp)

bwahah! excellent theme. I remember briefly discussing the 2-monster idea in another thread, and wanting to give it a go.

I may make multiple maps for this actually, seeing as maps with limited monster variety are best kept short to avoid becoming a tedious and predictable slog.

Ribbiks said:

bwahah! excellent theme. I remember briefly discussing the 2-monster idea in another thread.

I may make multiple maps for this actually, seeing as maps with limited monster variety are best kept short to avoid becoming a tedious and predictable slog.

And I stole it shamelessly from you when it was brought up in that thread.

I knew I was going to use it either here, or as its own project which I was going to start in two weeks before people asked if there would be a MAYhem this year.

Thanks for the idea!

That said, Quality will reign supreme over quantity. Even if you do keep them short and sweet (by all means, do that) make them look and play nice.

Interesting, I will need to think about this. Yeah short maps are probably best or you end up with 1monster which is a series of excellent large, beautiful maps which are completely wasted by the gimmick. I think 2 monster types could work well.

I was just thinking a 1Monster sequel may be nice, and this fits the bill well enough. I know JUST what I'll pick...>:-D

I cant decide between
"Tomato Surprise!" and "Skeleton Power" for my first map.

What do you guys think?

TheMionicDonut said:

What do you guys think?

I think that even if there will be any good maps in this wad they will be good only in the context of the 2 monster limitation, but when taken on their own merits they will suck. Every single map will be easily improvable by using more types monsters. Will be very surprised if someone proves me wrong.

lol @ quoting out of context to reiterate your disapproval

well deserved skepticism, and it's probable that many maps won't be great, but I still think it will be a fun gimmick to map for. It'll likely encourage many short romps, which can be fun, sf12 map33 for example.

It's not a theme I would have chosen, and it probably will make it more difficult to make fun maps than if we could put in any old monster we liked.

On the other hand, the challenge might lead to some unexpected creativity, and people creating maps that would never otherwise have been made.

And at least there are nice, clear deadlines :)

You can only use two different monster classes.

Well, i guess DoomWorld will go all the way up through every possible monster type number till standard. 1monster, Double Trouble, 3monster, FOURSOME, 5monster etc...

CC4-tex

Eh.

There goes a chunk of my enthusiasm, but i will not rush with the decisions.

Is it possible to obtain the texture pack without downloading the whole CC4?

Seems like this'll be interesting after all! If I may tentatively semi-claim a combo (for purposes of gripe-fuel in case anyone takes it), I'm totally gonna do a Spiderdemon + Arachnotron map.

SPIDERDAMN.WAD

TheMionicDonut said:

Do those work with the current doom palette? I could make use of that second one...possibly, but I doubt they will look right with the current doom palette, which I dont plan to change (*ahem*this year)

Hey, it's all already palettized! We ARE working with standard doom palette, right?

Edit: I've read the first post. Well, there's nothing objectively better than cc4 anyway... and now these two monsters. Let's make a sketch before, I thought. Textures will not be a problem, I thought. And indeed, they won't be...

If people don't want to slam essel's bandwidth for the cc4 texture pack here is a mirror.

I have an idea for a map. It's going to be gimmicky as fuck but hopefully it'll turn out as I'm hoping it will.

I'm totally gonna use the boom format advantages. In 5 rooms of doom, for example, I made a slope and a teleporting megasphere. Now I'm planning horisontally moving sectors for my mayhem contribution.
Edit: nope. But still I'll have some nice voodoo scripts.

Oh, and you've announced the rules and texture pack, but what about visual themes, like metal hive, rocky labs etc. in 2012?

Read the theme. At first I was disappointed that it spoils my gimmicky MAP30 idea, but on the second thought... I realised that in fact it doesn't spoil it at all!

So I'd like to claim MAP30 slot and ask a few more questions for specification:

• Do I have to already say which two monster classes I will use? I have an idea, but don't want to spoil it.
  • [IMPORTANT ONE] Do I have to include Romero's Head in MAP30, or not?
  • Will the MAP30 be used even if we will end up with less than 29 maps?
  • Can I, hypothetically, use two monster classes AND monster shooters, BUT no target spots, so the shooters will just say their invitation speech, or subsequently periodically make the "launch" sound?
Also I hope there won't be visual themes, as the 2 monster rule already is quite an important limitation, so I guess the mappers could be given freedem in everything else.

I've re-read the post about theme and there's nothing about visuals.

About final map, how about some dehacked abomination? Since we would need a bex patch for map names anyway.

scifista42 said:

Read the theme. At first I was disappointed that it spoils my gimmicky MAP30 idea, but on the second thought... I realised that in fact it doesn't spoil it at all!

So I'd like to claim MAP30 slot and ask a few more questions for specification:

• Do I have to already say which two monster classes I will use? I have an idea, but don't want to spoil it.
  • [IMPORTANT ONE] Do I have to include Romero's Head in MAP30, or not?
  • Will the MAP30 be used even if we will end up with less than 29 maps?
  • Can I, hypothetically, use two monster classes AND monster shooters, BUT no target spots, so the shooters will just say their invitation speech, or subsequently periodically make the "launch" sound?
Also I hope there won't be visual themes, as the 2 monster rule already is quite an important limitation, so I guess the mappers could be given freedem in everything else.

-No
-No
-Depends on if you NEED to use the map30 qualities (namely, the telefragging property)
-Do they make the invitation speech and initial shot if there are no targets? As long as they dont spawn monsters, it is fine.

Nah. Visual themes were last year.