Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

If Doom 2 had another boss

bcwood16 said:

Well it could fire a BFG shot, the charge up would give you warning and give you enough time to hide behind a wall to miss being fragged all over the place. Thats one shot, as for melee....well if you are dumb enough to get too close its instant gibbage!

Would be fun if its BFG shot also killed demons, could use that to your advantage.

Doom should be hard core enough for people to handle dodging BFG shots, unlike other hand holding FPS....cod *cough*

Doesn't a BFG fire hitscan rays before the actual ball? Or maybe the damage is just calculated from the hitscans... Either way, I'm wondering if it's possible for a player to dodge the damage from a BFG shot if s/he sees it coming.

Maybe limit damage to the direct damage + splash damage?

e4m8 - satan (since your in hell)
map30 - the portal to hell. (not a boss , but a password finding challange in the "uac")

schwerpunk said:

Doesn't a BFG fire hitscan rays before the actual ball? Or maybe the damage is just calculated from the hitscans... Either way, I'm wondering if it's possible for a player to dodge the damage from a BFG shot if s/he sees it coming.

Maybe limit damage to the direct damage + splash damage?

There's no splash damage. Bfg attack goes like that:
- ball hits target
- inflicts huge damage (no splash)
- in the same moment 40 hitscans shoot from you, in the direction you faced while shooting, but from the point you are in now.

On topic, I find a wall way better than another sprite shooting killing balls.

It'd be a Zombieman.

IN A BRIGHT PINK UNIFORM, ARMED WITH A BFG-RAY BLASTER.

You open the door, and there he is. Whoever shoots first wins.

Gez said:

The only walls I like to shoot are hitlercubes.

Watching that makes me trip every time I see it! lol

I was expecting a new boss that would look like a large bizarre blobby demon thing like the final bosses of half the NES games out there. Here's an example of what I was sort of expecting-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuHDy10Zihw.

I have to admit that back when I first saw that huge head with that evil cybernetic voice I was totally shocked and was in a state of panic as I ran around like a fool blasting away at everything until I was overrun. It took me a few sessions which probably added up to a few hours to finally inflict damage for the first time. It wasn't long after that when I finally defeated it. That victory was very satisfying for me. It wasn't until my second play-through that I landed on the platform bellow him and realized he was just a wall.

Gez said:

The only walls I like to shoot are hitlercubes.

Best...
Video...
EVER

Is it downloadable?

Each boss has a similar weapon to a monster (Cyberdemon and Revenant have rockets, Spidermastermind and Chaingunner have chainguns) so it wouldn't hurt to recycle a monsters attackpower/weapon and make it act a little differently.

Icon of Sin and Pain Elemental generate monsters.

The demons really should not have a BFG as that was the secret weapon being developed to fight them.

Give it two (or four) arms each with a plasma weapon. That would be more exciting to battle (like a one-man laser show).

Give it a missile launcher on its arm, and a plasma weapon on its head.
It chooses one or the other to fire (depending on distance?), and sometimes fires both.
Two different speed weapons complicates our survival.

One of those huge "walker" type things (like in Star Wars), but made from hellish biotech, and I guess it would have a couple of mounted plasma guns instead of lasers, plus some sort of mega-melee attack (crushes everything in its path).

Either that or giant cow that shoot rockets from it's ass. Or maybe a giant flying shark with mounted laser guns. Or just a goofy-looking purple dinosaur that wants to love you to death...

Edit: BTW, one of the "xenus" episodes (just search /idgames for that string) had a cool alien endboss with three different attacks.

Maybe the boss should be an actual massive entity....that eats you!

However, you survive and have to run around a whole level (thats actually the inside of him) and damage stuff...eventually killing him.

.....actually that sounds sucky and stealing the idea form System Shock 2....though back then Doom would have been first to have done it I guess lol

C30N9 said:

Best...
Video...
EVER

Is it downloadable?

Yep, it's TurboCharged ARCADE! by Xaser et al. There are two of them, each with eight different maps.

I just had a thought that a boss with a plasma weapon similar to doomguys plasmagun would have been cool. Its so fast compared to the arachnatrons gun.

Another high projectile damage and large demon that will wreck your day if unprepared.

Maybe the wall should've been a two parter. First blow it up normally, but then John Romero evolves into his final form and jumps from behind the painting for an extreme battle of Godly proportions, firing BFG blasts from his eyes and pissing plasma blasts, the entire while shouting "SUCK IT DOWN MONKEY SHIT!" the only way to kill him is to fist pump his shins with a berserk pack. Shins because he'd have to be damn huge to have any merit as a good boss, amiright?

That's neat, but I also like the idea of a smaller, more agile boss, too. Something like a multiplayer bot that knows how to strafe, etc. Now that would be a challenge!

The small/agile minibosses from Hexen were pretty cool, but the end boss really should be epic and unique somehow. The DOOM II wall-boss idea was good, because it's so damn huge, and totally different from every other monster in the game. But the fight could have been even better still. The arena could have been more dynamic and random. Instead of a bunch of ledges and lifts, pieces of ceiling could have caved in, crushing anything underneath (spawned monsters or you). The floor could have been plain rock surface, that eventually gets cracked and demolished by falling debris, opening up to reveal lava pools or deep crevasses, where you can fall to your death if you slip up. The boss face itself could have been a huge sprite (like Heretic's iron lich) that at some point emerges from its nook in the wall and flies around, raining rockets and plasma on your ass. Yeah, some of this stuff would have needed Hexen code, but it's not like they couldn't have implemented those pieces in DOOM II, if they really wanted to.

bcwood16 said:

Maybe the boss should be an actual massive entity....that eats you!

However, you survive and have to run around a whole level (thats actually the inside of him) and damage stuff...eventually killing him.

Contra-ish final battles are my favorite kind.

Like a larger version of the Cyberdemon only all red and 100% demon. Basically the typical image of satan that you see in movies and stuff.

Redshirt_4 said:

Like a larger version of the Cyberdemon only all red and 100% demon. Basically the typical image of satan that you see in movies and stuff.

I've been thinking about what a boss battle with Satan would be like in Doom. I've always thought one NPC would be too little for the dark lord himself. Satan's battle needs to be more grand than that. Like a giant red Baphomet head in which you have to teleport and kill the 3 avatars of Satan (what you described) which after being killed you have to smite the final head honcho demon that guards the switch which keeps the essence of the Satan alive which you have to press to destroy him! So far, this is the most complex and original I could think of other than just a cool sprite or a generic icon of sin. Unless there is no Satan.. Which is a different story.

Two barrons of hell , a cyberdemon , a spider mastermind in one area (unable to kill each other and infight) with one support pillar along with 2 crates.

Six said:

It's hard to picture anything other than a huge wall as Doom 2's final boss. Perceiving it in sprite form comes across even more difficult.

I suppose they could've created something (if not for time constraints or whatever the circumstance) that resembled the cyberdemon, only a little bit larger and perhaps used the icon of sins head, but obviously scaled down, not to scale to the wall, that'll look pretty hilarious.

it could've used the same animation as the arch-vile attack or something just as similar, but used to spawn enemies on the spot instead.

something like this. i imagined it would be a huge satan-like creature whose shots gib you on the spot.

actually, the icon was a more original idea than a usual boss, just a bit anti-climactic. stand on a pillar and shoot at its brain?