Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

Jeff Hanneman, guitarist of Slayer died at 49

"Slayer is devastated to inform that their bandmate and brother, Jeff Hanneman, passed away at about 11AM this morning near his Southern California home. Hanneman was in an area hospital when he suffered liver failure. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his sister Kathy and his brothers Michael and Larry, and will be sorely missed.

Our Brother Jeff Hanneman, May He Rest In Peace (1964 - 2013)"

Katamori says:

I'm very sad. Even though Slayer was not the best band of heavy metal history, but it was the first heavy metal band I've ever known (not only the name, but the songs too - I've heard about Metallica before but I didn't know any of his songs), even the first heavy metal song of my entire life was Black Magic from Slayer. And now, I'm afraid of that they won't continue playing without Jeff, and I miss the chance that I'd ever see them playing live forever.

F&ck.

Read the news not too long ago. Amazing guitarist who in my opinion is irreplaceable, he performed absolutely brilliant live as well. R.I.P Jeff Hanneman.

Slayer was instrumental in getting me to into more extreme metal. I don't know what I'd be into if it wasn't for them, and I think Jeff was definitely their best songwriter and guitarist. Rest in peace man - show hell what it's like.

Liver failure. All that partying caught up with him it seems. Great musician, love Slayer. It's unfortunate that they probably won't continue without him.

As a Slayer fan myself, my condolences go out to the band and the Hanneman family. He truly was a great guitarist and didn't deserve to go this early.

Rest in Peace Jeff, your riffs will never be forgotten!

Slayers first two albums are undeniably thrash metal masterpieces.. they lost me at Reign in Blood though.

Bashe said:

Slayer was instrumental in getting me to into more extreme metal.

Yep.

DeathevokatioN said:

Slayers first two albums are undeniably thrash metal masterpieces.. they lost me at Reign in Blood though.

I hear this a lot. I don't usually say anything, but I often think Reign in Blood is shunned by metal purists because it's Slayer's most well-known record. Everyone knows the signature riff from Angel of Death.

I like their earlier and lesser-known stuff, too. And I definitely like much more extreme/heavy/obscure bands. But it's really difficult to understand the antagonism towards Reign in Blood, if it's a genuine dislike of the music and not down to the "it's popular, now it sucks" mentality. I'm not just saying this out of respect because their guitarist is dead, either.

DoomUK said:

But it's really difficult to understand the antagonism towards Reign in Blood, if it's a genuine dislike of the music and not down to the "it's popular, now it sucks" mentality. I'm not just saying this out of respect because their guitarist is dead, either.

There's the idea, too, that the songs on RIB are all too short. I understand the argument up to a point, but people lose me when they suggest that the album between "Angel of Death" and "Postmortem" consists of half-songs. There's nothing structurally incomplete about, say, "Necrophobic," but it's written concisely and played very fast. I think some people tend to miss that. They get hung up on the running time and the musicians' speed.

I'm not sure I've entirely processed the news that Jeff is dead. Slayer is my favourite band, so this announcement comes as a surprise at the least. Hanneman was a great guitarist and an underrated lyricist. Should the band continue, his contributions will be very sorely missed.

DoomUK said:

I like their earlier and lesser-known stuff, too. And I definitely like much more extreme/heavy/obscure bands. But it's really difficult to understand the antagonism towards Reign in Blood, if it's a genuine dislike of the music and not down to the "it's popular, now it sucks" mentality. I'm not just saying this out of respect because their guitarist is dead, either.

Damn, you got me. I guess I should sell my King Diamond, Morbid Angel, Death, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest records then. (Sorry but a bullshit assumption deserves a condescending retort :P) It has more to do with personal taste.

Reign in Blood had some cool riffs but lacks the variety, the dynamic unpredictable songwriting the first two have. It also doesn't have the bestial/hellish/unholy feeling, or the attitude that I loved about the first two. It lost all these in favor of trying to be the fastest thrash album of the 80's, and this emphasis on speed starts to feel very forced after a while. Outside of "Rain in Blood" (which is undeniably a classic, if only this song was featured on "Hell Awaits"), the songs in Reign in Blood are distinct and have the "Slayer" sound but they don't stand out from eachother IMO. I don't really care how short an album is, I own some records that are under ten minutes in length. Another 10 or 15 minutes of fast tracks without tempo changes would have made it a chore to listen to.

That said, I don't hate RiB or anything, I'm just indifferent to it and don't listen to it, I prefer to love and appreciate Slayer for the good stuff they've done.... there are much worse bands to get offended at. Either way I think lets unite on the Slayer that we do like instead of arguing over personal taste. :P

NP - "Hell Awaits"... Jeff really wrote some masterpiece tracks for this album. Rest in peace brother.

DeathevokatioN said:

Damn, you got me. I guess I should sell my King Diamond, Morbid Angel, Death, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest records then. (Sorry but a bullshit assumption deserves a condescending retort :P) It has more to do with personal taste.

Reign in Blood had some cool riffs but lacks the variety, the dynamic unpredictable songwriting the first two have. It also doesn't have the bestial/hellish/unholy feeling, or the attitude that I loved about the first two. It lost all these in favor of trying to be the fastest thrash album of the 80's, and this emphasis on speed starts to feel very forced after a while. Outside of "Rain in Blood" (which is undeniably a classic, if only this song was featured on "Hell Awaits"), the songs in Reign in Blood are distinct and have the "Slayer" sound but they don't stand out from eachother IMO. I don't really care how short an album is, I own some records that are under ten minutes in length. Another 10 or 15 minutes of fast tracks without tempo changes would have made it a chore to listen to.

That said, I don't hate RiB or anything, I'm just indifferent to it and don't listen to it, I prefer to love and appreciate Slayer for the good stuff they've done.... there are much worse bands to get offended at. Either way I think lets unite on the Slayer that we do like instead of arguing over personal taste. :P

NP - "Hell Awaits"... Jeff really wrote some masterpiece tracks for this album. Rest in peace brother.

Just opinion, of course, but Reign in Blood fucking kicks ass. To me, each song does flow into the next, and the album can easily be enjoyed from start to finish in one listen, which, I like to think was intentional.

Rayzik said:

Liver failure. All that partying caught up with him it seems. Great musician, love Slayer. It's unfortunate that they probably won't continue without him.

i hear it was brought on by a spider bite unbelievably! he was supposed to get spider powers not liver failure! :(

DeathevokatioN said:

Reign in Blood had some cool riffs but lacks the variety, the dynamic unpredictable songwriting the first two have. It also doesn't have the bestial/hellish/unholy feeling, or the attitude that I loved about the first two. It lost all these in favor of trying to be the fastest thrash album of the 80's, and this emphasis on speed starts to feel very forced after a while. Outside of "Rain in Blood" (which is undeniably a classic, if only this song was featured on "Hell Awaits"), the songs in Reign in Blood are distinct and have the "Slayer" sound but they don't stand out from eachother IMO.

Fair enough. I still don't agree with any of this, but you're allowed to have sensibly-reasoned opinions :p

In other news: Diabolus in Musica was and is massively underappreciated. The late 90's was a time when semi-mainstream metal bands were being influenced by the scourge of nu-metal (Fear Factory and Machine Head spring to mind, but I'm sure there were others who I've forgotten about), but Slayer stood their ground, while being bold and experimenting within their own spectrum.

hardcore_gamer said:

Live failure?

I thought the guy died because he ended up at a hospital after having been bitten by a spider.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22395050

Liver failure was what he ultimately died from. He was bitten by a spider in 2011, contracting an apparently incurable flesh-eating disease - which presumably spread to his vital organs over time. Not a pleasant way to go. :(

I just found out about this and it's sad to hear about this. I didn't know him much, but the song I know best from Slayer is "Behind the Crooked Cross" because of the fact that it influenced the song "Deep Into the Code" for E3M3 of Doom. My condolences go to his friends and family.

I see people listen to this bang. (Especially doomers! ,\00/)

And I never heard any of the songs , except the doom tracks , and "raining blood".

I'll try to listen to them more often.

Anyways this is really bad (Since he's a great guy that doomers like).