Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shameless cross-posting from zdoom.org ahead!

I should really work on other things instead, but yeah:
Paranoya is a single map in UDMF-format designed for Zdoom. Gzdoom will propably work just as well, but it is made with the software renderer in mind!
When I started work on this map a couple of weeks ago, it merely was an exercise to get back into UDMF mapping after all the vanilla work I did for BTSX recently. However, I've been very happy with what I did so I decided to try finishing this map!

This is a "zdoomification" of the third map from The Rebirth; Paranoya. This might be an old concept, but I don't care as long as working on it is fun :P
There will be some new areas to explore and although a lot of detail has been added to the existing parts of the map, I'm trying my best to keep the general flow of the original intact. I'm also aiming for interesting gameplay (who doesn't) and especially try to avoid things that made some parts of KDIZD bad/frustrating, like bumpy details that get in the way, excessive switch hunts or nearly endless SSG-shooting-monotony.

Anyway, enough talking, have some screenshots:

Shots were taken without monsters because the gameplay is still in a very, very early stage. The map itself is about 80% done though, so I'm aiming to release a public beta sometime around next month!

BTW, I'm well aware that "paranoya" isn't correct english, but I'd like to keep the name of the original map, even if it is spelled incorrectly. Another reason is that there's already a Paranoia.wad in the archives, but no Paranoya.wad :P

Awww yeaaa, a new Vader project!

The cave/mountain thing in the first shot is pretty slick. The angled tekgreen and the curvy-ceiling in the third shot is also really great. It has almost a gothic/tekbase quality to it, which is interesting.

If you need a tester, just give me a ring :)

Thanks guys :)

I'll make sure to give you call once the map is in a playable state Mechadon, thanks for the offer!

Must say that the cave in the first screenshot looks cool.

The first and last shots do remind me of your Thunder Peak map.

I have nothing negative to say about this. All I know is that another Vader project is another project that I'm going to play the second I notice it's available. Clean shorts afterwards may be required.

This looks amazing! I especially love the shot of the cave. I would never think to see something built in Doom like that. Superb! Can't wait for it!

Wow, really impressive shots. Are those tilted textures custom or is there a new UDMF propeorty for things like that?

Thanks Everyone!

Torm:
Those textures are custom, but it would be nice to have a feature like that.

Motherfu -- I must know how to make geometry like that whole cave thing in the first screenshot! I've only looked at UDMF a couple times, but is that sort of thing really tricky or just time consuming?

Vader said:

BTW, I'm well aware that "paranoya" isn't correct english, but I'd like to keep the name of the original map, even if it is spelled incorrectly. Another reason is that there's already a Paranoia.wad in the archives, but no Paranoya.wad :P

You could always claim it is in fact a Norwegian island, which is what it immediately made me think of.

Heh, doesn't really sound norwegian to me... or is there in fact an island with that name? A quick Google search didn't give any results :P

Antroid said:

Motherfu -- I must know how to make geometry like that whole cave thing in the first screenshot! I've only looked at UDMF a couple times, but is that sort of thing really tricky or just time consuming?

Basically that scene is just made of normal slopes with very few vertex slopes in between, so no UDMF trickery required. But yes, it's a little time-consuming to get it to look right!

Vader said:

Basically that scene is just made of normal slopes with very few vertex slopes in between, so no UDMF trickery required. But yes, it's a little time-consuming to get it to look right!

Thank goodness. I can handle time-consuming, although I have almost no experience with slopes of any kind. Gotta study up sometime.
Anyway, that looks really cool! If I was to find anything to suggest, it would be a bit more lighting variation on the outside rock surfaces - it would look so much more deep and 3d.

Hey Vader, how did you manage to create the walkways on the second shot? I would have some great use for that in my project.

Vader said:

Heh, doesn't really sound norwegian to me... or is there in fact an island with that name?

No, but a very large number of them end with the letters "oya" (with a line through the o), which is not too surprising given that it means "the island".

I'm currently working on adding some light variation to the outside scene, but it appears to be a little more difficult than I expected...

@Lotica:
Those are (G)Zdoom 3d floors:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Sector_Set3DFloor

Once you're familliar with how they work, you can do some really nice stuff with them!

@Grazza:
Ok, now it makes sense to me. In case I'm going to include a half-assed story with this map, I'll make sure to remember this :P