• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jodwin

New Shadow Warrior coming

Flying Wild Hog, the team behind Hard Reset

Lost interest at that point. :/

Also I thought Painkiller was fun.

So did I, to some extent. Unfortunately, Hard Reset is Painkiller minus the fun parts.

Khorus said:

That's interesting because id didn't push doom's limits either.

Doom and Quake pushed computer at the time. Duke3D and Shadow Warrior didn't.

Vermil said:

Doom and Quake pushed computer at the time. Duke3D and Shadow Warrior didn't.

wut? I was referring to his Quake comment.

As for the nostalgia wave; we're still missing Blood and some Blake Stone title I guess.

Blood did get a sequel way back in 1998. IMO it didn't live up to the original. Level design wasn't always up to scratch and didn't have enough variety, settings were (with a few exceptions) a bit unimaginative and weapon/damage balance was SO out of whack to really take all the fun out of playing.

I didn't play musch Shadow Warrior, but everything I've seen about it seems awesome! I was lucky to play the first map, which was exactly as good as I expected it!

Gez said:

As for the nostalgia wave; we're still missing Blood and some Blake Stone title I guess.

My biggest wish would be a Strife remake!

Jodwin said:

New Shadow Warrior is good news, but I'm skeptical of Flying Wild Hog. They have old Painkiller devs in tow, which was obvious from the design of Hard Rest: It was basically a collection of random rooms with monsters, often at the same vertical level as you, rushing at you from one or two spawn points. Hard Reset looked good, and was technically solid, but the level design was boring (from gameplay point of view) just like Painkiller's.

Me too, Painkiller is retarded and Hard Reset is just as retarded. I especially hate these games because every classic gamer wannabe wants the next Doom to be like these games when in fact they have very little in common.

Katamori said:

I didn't play musch Shadow Warrior, but everything I've seen about it seems awesome! I was lucky to play the first map, which was exactly as good as I expected it!

Mmm. Yes. If I ever make the game I want to, it will be very much like strife.

Katamori said:

RAGE is the closest you'll get.

I just recently revisited Hard Reset EE and it was a lot of fun, especially if you're focusing on not dying at all. Then you can really appreciate how balanced the weapon set is between the damage delivery of the railgun and rpg and the utility gravity and stasis grenades provide. The weapon set is the strongest part of the game just like in Painkiller, but unlike PK the rest of the game is not boring crap. Enemies come in all shapes and sizes and the maps while linear provide enough variety when it comes to arenas and combat choreography.

So yeah, looking forward to the new SW.

DooM_RO said:

RAGE is the closest you'll get [to a Strife remake].

This was in bad taste. You shouldn't say such hurtful things. :c

Belial said:

I just recently revisited Hard Reset EE and it was a lot of fun, especially if you're focusing on not dying at all. Then you can really appreciate how balanced the weapon set is between the damage delivery of the railgun and rpg and the utility gravity and stasis grenades provide. The weapon set is the strongest part of the game just like in Painkiller, but unlike PK the rest of the game is not boring crap. Enemies come in all shapes and sizes and the maps while linear provide enough variety when it comes to arenas and combat choreography.

So yeah, looking forward to the new SW.

I'd agree that Hard Reset is a better game than Painkiller, even with its flaws. The boss battles in particular tend to be pretty cool and like you said, the weapons make that game. Still there's too many kinds of melee enemies with very little real variety, and what variety there is in enemies with ranged attacks is brought in way too slowly. Fighting almost nothing but melee enemies with occasional one type of projectile enemy for over an hour or so wasn't cool in Painkiller, and it isn't cool in Hard Reset either.

Once you're few hours in to Hard Reset it gets better as you have more weapons and there's more enemy variety, but until then, meh.

DooM_RO said:

RAGE is the closest you'll get.

As I watched some videos about that - I don't think so.

I'm seeing some teaser graphics and developer tweets on Duke4 and I'm getting the feeling this game is just going to be a modern"realistic" reboot using an existing IP for publicity. We'll see in coming month.

Again, I don't think any developer is going to touch SW's style of humor. And they probably shouldn't. If we get a lack luster game, Kotaku people will be criticizing Wild Hogs for being misogynistic, racist, sycophantic tools of the patriarchy. You can be edgy as long as you have a game solid enough to back it up.

If they want to make a cool new Ninja FPS, I'm cool with it. I'll just miss the cheesy kung fu exploitative vibe the SW had.

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/332510546588999680

Overt racism is out for sure, but sexism and racial stereotyping? That's still a big dollar in the video game industry!

Technician said:

If they want to make a cool new Ninja FPS, I'm cool with it. I'll just miss the cheesy kung fu exploitative vibe the SW had.

Of course all we have right now is just one splash picture, but it would hint at more yakuza themed action. If they could pull off a good, over the top Lo Wang versus all the yakuza FPS, I'd be all up for that.

Jodwin said:

Of course all we have right now is just one splash picture, but it would hint at more yakuza themed action. If they could pull off a good, over the top Lo Wang versus all the yakuza FPS, I'd be all up for that.

Having the mob as an enemy could be pretty sweet. I just hope they portray Lo Wang as a Mr. Miyagi-like pervert.

SW's humor was pretty tasteless. then again i guess that's part of the point with the game.

as for whether it would work in today's media or not, Duke Nukem Forever has plenty of tasteless humour in it. then again that game got extremely criticized, so i guess it's a bad comparison. though if the new SW game is a game that's actually a bunch of fun playing, it might stand on its steed better than DNF did.

Doomhuntress said:

though if the new SW game is a game that's actually a bunch of fun playing, it might stand on its steed better than DNF did.

It would better "stand it's steed" by simply not being DNF.

Jodwin said:

They have old Painkiller devs in tow,

who also made Bulletstorm which I thought was a pretty cool game, but I like CoD so my opinion is not yours.

Actually I think the guys who made Bulletstorm where the guys left in People can Fly who didn't leave to become Flying Wild Hog.

schwerpunk said:

This was in bad taste. You shouldn't say such hurtful things. :c

I don't understand. It was a pretty good game with flashes of brilliance. They both have similarities as well.

Yeah. For everything Rage gets wrong, the parts where you actually get to shoot at things are seriously some of the best pure shooting I've seen in a game in years.

I wish iD would recognize that their strength *is* those shooting bits and stick with it.

When they try to diverge, like going into survival horror-ish stuff with doom 3 or driving segments with rage, they fail.

but their gunplay is always consistently excellent.

They just need to utilize it more effectively.

Bouncy said:

their gunplay is always consistently excellent.

"Always" statements are such delicate things. In this case, it implies the gunplay in Doom 3 was excellent, which is very, very debatable.

But yeah, the gunplay in Rage was a huge improvement. If shooting things in Doom 4 is anywhere near as fun as it was in Rage, I'll be content.

To be honest, I didn't really expect this game to be revived. Yeah, it's a classic but it's not THAT good. I think it's just a cheesy copy of Duke Nukem 3D so it should stay in the 90s. Now if Bethesda could get the Heretic license...

Bouncy said:

I wish iD would recognize that their strength *is* those shooting bits and stick with it.

When they try to diverge, like going into survival horror-ish stuff with doom 3 or driving segments with rage, they fail.

but their gunplay is always consistently excellent.

They just need to utilize it more effectively.

The survival horror elements in Doom 3 were actually present in the original. Let me give you an example: In E1M3, in the blue key card room, you are in a cramped room with the key in front of you.As soon as you pick it up, the lights go out and a closet of imps opens behind you. Sounds familiar? The problem with this kind of gameplay in Doom 3 is that it's too damn frequent.

I agree With DoomUK, the shooting in Doom 3 is the worst Id has ever made...What were they THINKING?! Thankfully, the guns in RAGE are some of the best I've ever seen. You can see that a lot of work went into them.

DooM_RO said:

Now if Bethesda could get the Heretic license...

Yes, that's a revival I'd like to see.

I'd like to see revivals of Shadowcaster too. An action/RPG/FPS game where you use metamorphoses to solve puzzles? Why aren't there more of those?

Katamori said:

We still need a new Chasm: The Rift