Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 2013? More like MARCHem 2014. 3.9.14 realease?!?

Ribbiks said:

Download: Onyx

I liked the part where you are running away from revenants with no ammo, you press some switch and get more revenants.

Not at all.

You got until the 31st to submit. Feel free to join whenever you want.

I get my mouse back tonight, expect more progress on my part then!

Zero X. Diamond said:

Am I too late to make something for this?

http://i.imgur.com/Jp6g6ed.png

Aw man, i totally like all those details, nice touch with that curvy fence. Stone walls look very bare tho, no metal support parts for the chain-link mesh, and i's say that the light color of the brick texture doesn't work well with such dark asphalt texture, the scene looks neither bright enough nor dark enough, in my opinion. Yeas, i definitely don't like the brick texture here.

I want to make a map with shotgunguys and imps.
And I want to make a commander keen in it just one as a piece of decoration , behind a glass.
The map will be tech so it will be in one of the first maps.

I didn't stop but victory is a bit far yet. Who can help with the name anyway?

Also,

joe-ilya said:

I want to make a map with shotgunguys and imps.
And I want to make a commander keen in it just one as a piece of decoration , behind a glass.
The map will be tech so it will be in one of the first maps.

Okay!

...and, why didn't start it yet? :P

dobugabumaru said:
Hopefully it's better now.
[Screenshot]

Pretty cool yeah !

The concept of this wad is interesting. I'd have been glad to try and make something for it, but I'm out of time.
Good luck with it :)

@Katamori: Uhm, "i'm hating it!" (parody of that famous slogan) maybe?

However great stuff so far guys!

That's gorgeous, Dobu. A very fine use of CC4's various stone textures. Is that water I see in the far distance near the baronface slab, or something else?

I'm also pleased by all of the open air I see in your shots, Katamori, as I tend to think more of small indoor maps when I think of you. There is something vaguely Krause-ian about the shots, although the fence-rail next to those terminals makes me think of Kessler, somehow. One thing, though...the asymmetric coloring on the letters of the two UAC logos on the building in the first shot is bugging the hell out of me.

Joe-ilya: The transition from the silver/computer screens on the front of the terminal the shotgun guy is looking at to the texture on its sides is extremely jarring. I reckon some compspan or more plain silver or the like would look better.

Anyway, looks like there are a number of interesting maps in the works for this. The two-monster stipulation is not something I find off-putting, so it'll be interesting to see what folks come up with. From what's been shown so far, it's also sure to benefit from not using an ass-ugly texture set this time, to be frank.

dobugabumaru said:

Hopefully it's better now.
http://i.imgur.com/OTzoqhz.png

Excellent stuff, man! I'd be interested in seeing how this plays... I'm trying to start something for this, but the 2 monster thing is sort of driving my typical mapper tendencies crazy.

Demon of the Well said:

it's also sure to benefit from not using an ass-ugly texture set this time, to be frank.

I'm like the only one that actually enjoyed its strange mix of hues. And the blue sigil texture is the one I use near the face of the temple. Since the map is essentially a single battle, it's been allowing me to go crazy with some architectural designs, something the CC4 set lends very well to playing around with.

I don't know why I feel I regret using a mix of demons and arachnotrons. I feel I can't push the idea to the point of making a decent map;

Demon of the Well said:

One thing, though...the asymmetric coloring on the letters of the two UAC logos on the building in the first shot is bugging the hell out of me.

I couldn't choose between blue and green colours, so I mixed them. Also, I used them on an asymmetric way to show every letters in both colors.

Some big corporate stronghold buildings really do have the company logo emblazoned on them in more than once place (as to what the point is, you'd have to ask a marketing dude). And quite a few of them that have letter-based logos will have one letter larger or rendered in a different color than the rest, too. It's just that the two logos have different letters in different colors that my eyes keep compulsively fixating on when I look at that scene (since everything else about it is symmetrical, which is not really untoward given the general setting), when I should probably be paying more attention to the teams of imps having their daily pep-meeting with their mancubosses.

Here's the starting room

Did you just copy-pasted and then rotated those removed hexes on the floor? Elements like that are suppose to be unique, not scattered all over the place. Also, what's with the orange side of the computer? Is that suppose to be its computer inwards, motherboard and stuff? I think there is a more suiting texture for this purpose very nearby in the texture browser.

I wanted to let everyone know that I'm still working on my level for this, but as I do texturing mostly at the end there's little to show as it's all startan central right now. Here's an incredibly vague screenshot that tells you nothing about my level to prove I'm working on it. Hopefully I can provide something to play in a couple of days.

I have a few things to say:

1. Looking at the previously posted screenshots from prominent mappers and then looking at joe-ilya's map, no offence, but it quite undermined my trust in this project. Without some quality control, it'll likely end up as a mixed bag, like the last year's Mayhem. Visual aspect is one thing, and then... Seriously - joe-ilya, why did you put the Keen doll there?

2. I'm sorry to say this, but it's very likely I won't have my map finished in time. It also already exceeded standard BLOCKMAP limit a longer time ago. If I wanted to finish it soon, I'd have to cut down on my initial idea too much, because one of the basic parts of my concept is that the map must be ENORMOUSLY HUGE and NONLINEAR. I confess that I was on a mapping break in mid May, and lose time that way. So if (probability is like 99%) I won't finish my map till the end of May, I'll probably stop with rushing and will finish the map thoroughly according to my idea - to make sure that when it'll be released (not for Mayhem), it'll be worth the big download size. As I think about it now, my map would probably only add to the "mixed bag" aspect if submitted to Mayhem.
Don't expect screenshots, they'd disclose too much if I provided them.

3. Finally... What's up with all YOUR maps, contributors?

I'm not sure that I can finish it. The exterior parts are ready but that has not so much gameplay, definitely not more than 4-5 minutes.

Anyway, most certainly, I'm gonna release something because I simply don't want to miss this project since I've put a lot of effort to my map.

PS.: I've tried joe-ilya's map. Far too hard and crowded, but basically OK.

Well I liked joe's map more than previously posted maps. It was often surprising/unpredictable and it wasn't frustratingly difficult. :p

scifista42 said:

Without some quality control, it'll likely end up as a mixed bag

I haven't played joe-ilya's map yet, but I think being a "mixed-bag" is just the result of having a thematic speedmapping concept, since there's really not much time to receive feedback and change the level. Only thing I'm personally concerned about is having too few maps if people are unable to finish their works, as you and katamori are essentially backing out with only a map by Ribbiks and Scypek contributed so far. I have one map finished that's still undergoing gameplay tweaks and another map that's being worked on every chance I get, so I'm certain I can get these two in for the project, but it'll be a strange compilation if we're only left with 5-6 maps.

scifista42 said:

I have a few things to say:

1. Looking at the previously posted screenshots from prominent mappers and then looking at joe-ilya's map, no offence, but it quite undermined my trust in this project. Without some quality control, it'll likely end up as a mixed bag, like the last year's Mayhem. Visual aspect is one thing, and then... Seriously - joe-ilya, why did you put the Keen doll there?

3. Finally... What's up with all YOUR maps, contributors?

1.Thank you all for the positive feedback.
2.Yea , seriously what's up with the maps i haven't saw a comment for like half a month? Is this because of the other things you're working on?

A small update to my map.

* CEMENT room got 2 archviles on UV
* some visual changes to the SSG secret and megaarmor room

by the way, I wonder if somebody managed to get all secrets, or at least the big "2012" one?

I'm working on my map, promise! It's been difficult finding free time, but I'll do my level best to post it before June.

Heh, on the 15th I said the map would be done in "the next few days" and now it's 11 days later and it's still not finished. Very close though, been putting off texturing the map, as I always do. Yuck, texturing.