Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
keiyakins

FreeDM level issues

I ran through FreeDM to get a feel through the maps and noticed a few issues, so I grabbed the latest daily and ran through again. Here's what issues I noticed:

MAP05: Teleporter nonfunctional
MAP06: CRITICAL: All items tagged singleplayer-only
MAP08: ALL teleporters nonfunctional
MAP12: CRITICAL: no deathmatch starts, South teleporter teleports you to south teleporter, north teleporter nonfunctional
MAP14: (stylistic) Inescapable pits suck. Even in deathmatch maps.
MAP15: (minor) No secret exit. Doom2 iwads typically want one here and in map31.
MAP16: (stylistic) Teleporter exit looks like a teleporter, but isn't.
MAP28: Yellow key door required to access exit, but no yellow key
MAP29: No exit, most items tagged multiplayer-only
MAP18-20, 24-26, 30-32: Placeholders (not a 'bug', but nice to track)

All testing was done on zdoom 2.6.1, on difficulty 3. I can take a look some time in the next week to see if I can fix some of those if no one else gets to it before me

It sounds like you're trying to run this IWAD in SP mode, but DM mode gives you all the keys when you (re)spawn. Try it like this:

chocolate-doom -iwad freedm.wad -warp 28 -deathmatch -solo-net
(or you can use -altdeath instead of -deathmatch)

That was actually just a SP map by nivha that I slightly modified for DM. You can find the original here:
http://doomedsda.us/wad1685.html
It's very good, play it! :-)

It would be cool if FreeDM had both DM and SP modes for all 32 maps, like some of the classic megawads did. I'd be willing to rework the DM version of this map for that kind of project.

I tried in both, because running around the maps in SP is a good way to get to know a map's layout, which was my initial goal, and then I wanted to test if the issues still happened in DM ;)

And yeah, you have all the keys in DM, but I'd argue it's still bad style to have the yellow key door and no yellow key. Completely understandable to be missed though, I probably wouldn't think to test in SP either :P

keiyakins said:

MAP06: CRITICAL: All items tagged singleplayer-only

I can't reproduce this. Items still seem to appear in multiplayer mode.

MAP08: ALL teleporters nonfunctional

This seems to be correct. Are these actually intended to be teleports?

MAP28: Yellow key door required to access exit, but no yellow key

The exit ought to just be simplified: just a door to a room with an exit switch.

MAP29: No exit, most items tagged multiplayer-only

Looks like this is pretty much just a rough draft of a level at the moment. But it's a fair point.

The rest of your objections all seem accurate and correct. The game ought to be just as playable in single player as multiplayer mode.

The stuff in MAP08 appears blue on the automap, so at least the engine thinks it's supposed to be... and what the heck, now I can't reproduce the issue on MAP06 either. I'm going to call that one cosmic rays or something.