Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
schwerpunk

[RELEASE] Monochrome Mapping Project (latest fix August 1st, 2013)

pfl said:

Sorry for the mistakes in it; have had a tough time working this thing out as a first experience. I am thankful for Scientist's help on resolving theses issues for us ...

As I said in the PM, we wouldn't even be this far along without you. So much gratitude in your direction as well, pfl. :)

So what do you guys think of the pre-release? The hard part (mapping) is over, so we're really close to finishing.

Coolness, I like the map order and didn't know we had that many maps.

referring to the version modified by scientist:

* cool titlepic/interpic. Out of curiosity, can the dimensions of those be decreased to decrease overall file size (I ask because if you try opening the wad in prboom+ (even though its not designed for that) you see the pic really zoomed in, which might imply the image is much larger than needed? Also because the wad took kinda long to download, not sure if that's the largest file size object in there though.

* map 3 & 4 (or was it 4 & 5?) have the same music if unintentional. I suspect its more mapinfo errors or whatever.

* open wad in doombuilder 2, then select, say "doom in hexen" format and you'll see a handful in that format. But sometimes you see the same map more than once, like there's still 2 map 5s I think (try selecting different formats and you might see duplicates either in the same format or spanning different formats).

* My map, 17 I think, doesn't have the more recent update with backpacks etc bouncing around with the keys (this version has a small amount of keys boucing only, no backpacks etc).

Quite interesting maps so far, and the order when they come is quite good. Liked the opening map, being quite trippy and challenging. Too bad that few maps that has GL stuff reduces the framerate on my end, had to turn off dynamic lighting off.

@ gggmork: if you see something you can fix, feel free to do so and reupload a newer version for us all. That's great when people get involded like this, solving here and there issues little by little.

@ Corsair: you still have some time before the first official release :)

* idclev 15 crashes gzdoom

* don't remember seeing schewerpunk's map where there is flashing lights which damages enemies, like electrocution or whatever

--

I can try to fix this stuff as a last resort, but don't really know how, so maybe someone more knowledgeable should try first. I still haven't used slade and rarely use xwe. I would probably just start from scratch and keep clicking "save into" in doombuilder for each next map, keeping the same order. But I'd need all the individual maps (maybe its not hard to extract them from the current main wad, not sure).
Not sure if it matters if different maps are in different formats, like "doom in hexen" vs bla etc.

pfl said:

That's great when people get involded like this, solving here and there issues little by little.

Currently, the wad is organized in such a way that it's easier to start from scratch.

Is there any stuff that is not available via the public link?

Wow ...

I was able to idclev all the levels with my "unfixed" version :))) anyway ...

I have the WHOLE set of maps, the credit text file too, the ressources and some more things. In the text files, I have detailed every entry : map format, author, order etc.

If someone feel it's better to start all over again and feels to achieve it better than me (won't be too hard :))))), please apply now. I will forward a link. We need some skills help.

@ ggmork: still, idclev15 goes well for me and if I'm not missing it totaly, WhiteRoom has these features.

I cannot wait to LP this! Hope you fix all the pre-release bugs!

Just a quick query; is this wad going to favour a consecutive playthrough from start to finish, or pistol starts recommended?

I can probably do it, uh link me I guess. I don't care if someone else ultimately does it later, but I can try for now. Are you sure you have ALL maps though, like where is schewerpunk's 'light flashing electrocution' map? And you have jaws in space's 'Hell Above not included' mentioned above?

@ Obsidian: We're working on it. I was experimenting a LOT to figure out how to exactly match the three different format of maps we have. On some entries, I was able to add everything I wished such as map names and the author, mixing the skies, etc., while with others, nothing seemed to work. I did my best but I left the wad a little unfinished and with some not so well organised wad. But it worked ... so I am 1/2 proud of myself :)). My limits have been reached ...

@ Suitepee: it's been said more than once that it's pistol start oriented. The text file will also suggest UV. But you're the boss :) I am playing it for the third time now, Scientist update, and it's cool. If we can put this one in better shape, it'll be out soon enough.

@ gggmork: I love the better try it than nothing. I have more than what you're asking for. I have early version of updated maps (with different names, sometimes) and Hell Above, which is E4M1 in red. Can't put that in the wad. Check your PM.

I'll check pm soon. But what about that flashing electrocution map by schewerpunk. Didn't see it in this wad, so do you know off the top of your head if you have it or what the filename is (didn't check pm yet).

@ gggmork: You don't seem to be talking about White Room aren't you. I feel it's the only one I have from him. PM him already. He's the one you should ask from. Hey, I even have Big Cyber Floor :))) I only have what I got from the thread and form the ones I contacted for a session of harassment ... but White Room, map 15, has that slow random flashy damaging floor here and there. Just tried it.

Oh yeah, that's probably it (it was the one where idclev didn't work so I guess that's why I didn't see it). Ok, I'm'a try to wadify this.

Well, I've tried all this time and I'm seriously too retarded to do it. I looked at your text file, and opened each map in order in doombuilder 2, selecting the format mentioned in the text file. Then I renamed each map "map01..02..03" etc. in order, and clicked "save map into" a main megawad called mmp.wad.
Did that for all maps, then drag/dropped mmp.wad into gzdoom. Some maps seemed fine, others were a jumbled mess of overlapping lines. Idcleving to some crashed gzdoom.
Tried again up to map 7 only, same problems.
Both times I tried it seemed to erase map01 also.
And every time I select the next map, db2 doesn't seem to guess the format correctly so I have to tediously choose the right one, based on the text file since I have no other way to know afaik.

Cripes.

Well here's the current version of my map if anyone else makes the megawad (don't use that other crap5 version, its old):
http://speedy.sh/EgYN9/zdLightCrap.wad

Another thing, I noticed "brightmaps.pk3" and "lights.pk3". The latter appears to make potions/armor/etc have glowy shadows. My guess is that these are only supposed to go with "temple of light", map 2? Is that even possible, or does a pk3 like that force every single map in the whole megawad to use that effect?

It's better to use XWE instead off Doombuilder for this :).
I think I can be able to fix all the problems mentioned.

gggmork said:

* idclev 15 crashes gzdoom

I don't have this problem. Can anyone confirm this?
Also the lightcrap wad in the link you gave doesn't work; can you re-upload or mail it to me?

Pistol start oriented, cheers for that pfl! Hopefully this will prove more fun than Coffee Break. Please don't have any levels with obscene use of Revenants!

Map 10 (Mono Asbest) has some problems regarding on placement: Monsters couldn't get out from last closet in blue key area. (Playing GZDoom currently.)

Map 11 (Outpost Gamma) is showing some HOMs (near the nukage area, on side that has light.) Plus, the door's one way.

Jaws In Space said:

Yes only 4 of my 7 maps are in the OP

Support Storage map 3
Control Center map 6
Brown Room map 7
Outpost Gamma map 11
Town Hall map 16
Up Town map 19
Hell Above not included

Just to be clear, do you want me to add Town Hall, Up Town, and Hell Above to the OP? So far we've got Control Centre, Outpost F11, Support Storage, and Brown Room.

gggmork said:

* don't remember seeing schewerpunk's map where there is flashing lights which damages enemies, like electrocution or whatever

That map was never completed. I could work in a quick ending, but frankly I thought it suffered from poor gameplay, and unpredictable difficulty (blending ammo and health items is hard, lol). Making it 'good' would likely require a complete overhaul, and it's a bit late for that.

P.S. I'm officially done with my best man duties for the wedding, so my schedule has opened up a bit.
P.P.S. I forgot the rings. >_<;;;;;

Made some adjustments:
Download latest vestion

Things I fixed:
* Map01 Dada (scientist). It no longer causes the error messages at start up.

* Map04 Abusive (FractalXX). Now has music

* Map15 WhiteRoom (Schwerpunk). I re-inserted it in the wad. Hopefully gggmork can open it now :/

* Map17 Light Crap (gggmork). I updated the map.

* Map23 Good and Evil, Black and White (Obsidian). I fixed the name. It does have music it just starts off soft. If you want another song just let me know :)

* I also made an endpic and included it: endpic

nice endpic too.

as far as I can tell map 15 has something about it (still in this version) that makes it only crash in older versions of zdoom or gzdoom. Like I tried in zdoom 2.2.0, crash. But it works in zdoom 2.6.1. My gzdoom is probably old too. Who knows, maybe udmf shenanigans or some used built in script function that requires newer "ACC" or whatever as if I know what I'm talking about.

But whatever, the wad seems good to me from a brief idclip through it, much better than the jumbled criss cross lines I was ending up with.

pfl had a file called lights.pk3; not sure which map was supposed to use that. Maybe it should just be a separate file to drag drop with whatever map wants to use it. And I haven't tried any of the "extras" people have posted like monochrome monsters/weapons and whatnot. Maybe just extra files in the final zip to optionally use?

Re MAP15 - WhiteRoom: I suspect named scripts are to blame. Although I've never heard of those turning the map into a jumbled mess.

@ gggmork: The criss cross lines you get is when you open maps in Doom Builder with the wrong format. This was my first WTF! when I began working on the wad. As for GZDoom, it's good to be updated (subversion/new version) when loading a recent project. lights.pk3 is a gZDoom file that you don't have to care about here; it's generated by it.

The idea of seperate files is great. There will be a "final" clean up of the OP and I think we'll put those additional files there. Let's see what schwerpunk thinks about it.

Have you started the proposed rebuilt of the wad, yet ? If not, follow Scientist's updates of the wad; it might not be necessary to do it all over again.

@ Scientist: Nice work man. Those pics are great. I was about to think to reupload the first as the last when you put this in front of our eyes! Just missing the rabbit, lost somewhere in the back of the pic :)))

Also kudos to your fixes. I' m progressing through the wad with satisfaction. I see the fixes that makes the differences in adding the missed things. Do you feel your updates and the ones to come from the testing process will put the wad a satisfactory shape (meaning, great enough not to put gggmork on the do it again task) ?

@ Corsair: NOTED. I'll go check these on map 10 & 11. We'll see what we can do. The HOM's in map 13 "Tan Temple" are intended.

Thanks for the kind words :). Personally I think we don't need to totally rebuild the wad; we can just update the one we have now. Starting again seems a lot of work for something that is going to look the same in-game.

@ Scientist: I feel the same too. Do you still have some "polishing" :)) to give it, still ?

@ everyone: Currently on map 10 with testing, yet again. Corsair also does his waythrough, it seems. Maybe others ? I see here and there little things like non intended shortcuts or other stuff not worth of mention but NOTHING more. This wad is even more fun than the two previous times I played it. A fine job has been put into it ... I will also make a better (normal) text file.

@ Corsair: I see what you mean on map 10. On my run, everything was fine since they began shooting each other, then, the remainings were free. I find it fun to think that we could pretend that those zombies are just STUPID and they were stuck like that when the wall opened ... :) and maybe not. We'll vote :)))

****MAJOR UPDATE****

We have a new level - MAP 22 Ultramarine Kingdom is now completed and will be featured in full in the first release of the upcoming wad. APPLAUSE. Congrats Corsair.

EDIT AGAIN

@ Corsair: I knew it. I knew it would be freakin' awesome. I just started the level, with the music (I rarely like Doom music), and it's already giving me a huge blow in my face. I haven't done nothing yet and my pant is all wet ...

I was messing with the wad today.

1. All patches were reloaded. Now you can warp to MAP05 with PrBoom+ using command line. Multipatch sky was preserved, custom markers were not.
2. Lumps were grouped by type, so the wad is not a random mess anymore.
3. Flats were reloaded too, because it was easier to do than to scoop them around the wad. PNGs were preserved, markers were not.

During this 'cleaning up', I saw a few more oddities.

1. We have two ANIMDEFS lumps. Nothing bad about it, I believe.
2. We have two D_RUNNIN lumps. No wonder the music track on my map is wrong.
3. Still two MAP04s. 'Nuff said.
4. Some maps have more lumps than they should.

5. Do we need intermission level names with ZDoom? There are two of them - MONIL01 and CWILV00.

My current connection speed sucks, so no download link for a while.

[UPDATE]

LOL, this wad is almost ten times smaller when zipped.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/ee01ed4e94/

I wonder what bugs I have introduced.