Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Z86

Hellbound - Updated

OMG!

It is done.

All maps are in a ready state, and I consider it beta worthy, so let the open beta begin!

If you are wondering what took me so long... well...

- lazyness
- work
- life
- and MAP29

seriously:

I went a bit overboard with this.

57 MB?! What the Hell(bound) did you do, man?!

Thanks for releasing it once and for all anyway.

MAP29 has some pretty massive REJECT table... well it is like 4000 sectors and it is mostly open.

BTW MAP29 might receive some performance optimizations, as it even manages to make Zdoom lag.

Yeah, map29 is currently unplayable for me in ZDoom due to lag. Everything looks amazing, though.

I am bogged down on map1. I haven't given up (HNTR beckons) but I was curious enough to take a sneaky look at some of the later maps in DoomBuilder....

You, sir, are clearly an insane genius! I can only think of Panophobia's Sigil as being comparable. Seriously - well done man!

Edit: @Dobugabumaru - I saw your post above this one and remembered that you made Sigil: That was mind-blowing. Fucking ART!

Yay thanks for the enthusiasm.

I'll listen to feedback if you have any, and willing to make adjustments to maps.

Currently what I have in mind is:
- MAP12-13 tram areas: make them a bit more atmospheric (something like the MAP15 dark conveyor belt corridor area)
- MAP29: I've been experimenting with this map to make it perform better. My current analysis is that if you look across the map while seeing the tall column it probably renders a lot of sectors (or visplanes) on the sky. I tried adding a tall wall behind it, it barely helps. A wall before it reduces the lag considerably, but makes it look bad. What I might do is to make 2 versions: 1 normal (for those who do not mind some lag - on my comp it is fairly playable) and one where you are not able to see the sky of the entire map, only the current part you are in.

Just finished the first episode (11 maps). So far it's pretty damn awesome, I had fun with every map. I really appreciate the interconnectivity and that it makes sense. Multiple entrences to keyed areas and such.

So Hellbound and D2TWID get beta releases in the space of a few days. This is a great week for Doom :)
Better play this beast, I may be some time.

Oh Nice! A megawad of done! I had also played the first episode, and I appreciated very much, that pleases me to see so much of megawad going out this year. :)

I think Map29 is a write-off the amount of FPS lag does not make it really viable to play and the amount of monsters make it quite boring. The design is pretty interesting though I think the main problem is there is simply way too many 2-sided lines. I'd also recommend changing that Lavafall texture to a nukefall lava recolor the current texture looks like it moves upwards.

MAP29: I've been experimenting with this map to make it perform better. My current analysis is that if you look across the map while seeing the tall column it probably renders a lot of sectors (or visplanes) on the sky. I tried adding a tall wall behind it, it barely helps. A wall before it reduces the lag considerably, but makes it look bad. What I might do is to make 2 versions: 1 normal (for those who do not mind some lag - on my comp it is fairly playable) and one where you are not able to see the sky of the entire map, only the current part you are in.

Does the tower play a role in the map other than as visuals? Or in other words, is it essential that it be that tall? It might make more sense to simply remove the tower (at least in the alt version) rather than putting up big flat walls all over the map to obstruct the views--you'd lose a lot less of the map's beauty that way. You could put some sort of lower-lying detail where the tower is so that you at least have a cool sight when you get there, perhaps?

I can confirm that all the lag happens when I'm looking at the tower--I can look across any other part of the map and it runs just fine, regardless of the level of detail.

It's all the 2-sided linedefs and not specifically the tower, the reason why looking at it lags the most is because that is the POV in which excessive linedefs are being rendered.

For an unlagged version I just plan to lower the ceilings to the top of the actual tier you are on. I might experiment with other stuff too, just to see what affects performance the most.

Why is the file not compressed in the download link?

Added a zipped link (with the text info file as a bonus in it)

We`re playing through this on Survival mode right now, one thing were noticing is some bad use of materials were walls are broken. The inside is not the same texture or a similar texture it`s often ashwall2 with bricks on the outside wall for example. Myself and others think this is a bad use of materials it should be the same or similar texture.

There was also a problem on Map32 that seemed to cause it to get broken in COOP.

Map17 - Needs more health (At least for coop)

Yesterday I found a decently good solution to MAP29, it includes lowering the sky ceilings, and drastically improves FPS while maintaining most of the visuals. In SW rendering (PRBoom Software) the middle column will sometimes glitch or be partially visible, but in HW (GZDoom) it is not noticeable.

Pottus: Thanks for the feedback.

- Ashwalls and Bricks: can you be more specific which instances you find not visually appealing? I am currently thinking of maybe MAP16 where there are holes in the walls with brick and ashwall on the other side, but it'd help if you pointed at a more concrete example.

- MAP32: It is probably my least playtested map, I'll check it again for possible co-op glitches. In case you get stuck on teleporters or elevators, there are 2 extra teleporters in the starting building that open up as shortcuts to later areas.

- MAP17: yeah, I can see how this map might be a bit health starvy in coop, as it relies on megaspheres and soulspheres to keep you healthy. Extra multiplayer flagged stimpacks and medikits can be a solution.

Z86 said:

OMG!

It is done.

All maps are in a ready state, and I consider it beta worthy, so let the open beta begin!

There may come a day when I stop playing Doom.

But it is not this day.

Was playing this coop yesterday with some friends. It's absolutely brilliant! Sadly my server crashed at map29 >.<

imho:
Level design 9/10
Gameplay 8/10

I like, that after the starport map you didn't consist at keeping that scale. Bigger is not better ;)
I never did like city maps in doom but yours have changed my mind. All the other maps were flawless. 9/10 because of optimization issues in some maps.

Gameplay was fucking awesome. Kept me on my toes throughout the whole wad. The only thing i didn't like, from time to time, was the narrowness of certain areas. Object and floor decoration got in the way sometimes and slowed down the gameplay.

I think this wad has potential for best wad 2013 ;)

Minor updates for Beta 2:

- MAP12 and MAP13 had their tram areas improved
- MAP17 received a bit more health and ammo, but also some more monsters outside
- MAP29 now has a little better performance
- MAP32 received minor fixes

Thanks for the feedbacks to everyone.

Ya that's what I'm talking about like on Map16 that technique can work but I don't think it works so good when you have brown bricks it makes it look literally like wallpaper. Textures should be treated as materials in that they also have depth to them I wouldn't say using that technique is a bad thing but more or less where it's used. For instance using it on natural rock textures can look good but on bricks it doesn't.

Another thing is the music is definitely the lowest point of the WAD but it would be awesome if someone *cough* "Jimmy" *cough* could do a score for this WAD but you might have something in mind.

But probably the thing that annoys me the most right now is definitely the choice of lavafall texture it's pretty ugly and I hope you consider replacing it with a nukefall recolor variant :)