Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DoOmEr4LiFe

special monsters

should doom 3 have nightmare imps?? or remember in psx doom the "super" spectre?? should these two enemies appear in doom 3 just revised?? i thought about this has anyone else??

They should like Heretic II, every monster has 6 or 8 values that can be changed independently. Things ranging from skin, to stuff like "chance to melee combat", "chance to fire projectile", "speed", "HP" etc etc.

Sorry Zaldron, no RPG likensses in D3. Although I would agree, but .. no, not Doom like ;)

What's RPGish here? Instead of doing "brown imp" and "major imp" and "imp chef" and "black imp", you can just (if you need so) design several thousand of different enemies.

Some of them might preffer leaping, while others covering in the dark, some of them will pay no attention to sounds, and others will hunt you down inmediatly after entering the level. Some may have 3x the hit points because they're particulary larger and more dangerous than the rest of his kind.

It is SO easy to code that I don't know why game companies keep forgetting this stuff.

It is SO easy to code that I don't know why game companies keep forgetting this stuff.

It takes a bit longer to test fully, that's why. I fully agree that it should be incorporated, but the more variables you have, the more possible combinations, and some variable only make sense to be somewhat connected (size & strength)... well, for each of these the developer needs to (but sadly wouldn't, most likely) set the variables as constants, check the enemy in-game to see if there are any problems with a certain combination, eliminate the possibility of that combination if there is a problem, and, if not, test the next possibility. Six variables, though not seeming like a lot, make a lot of combinations... multiply that by the number of enemies and you see the problem.

It probably could go without testing for the most part if it were planned very well before hand. But any attributes that change the size of a model, or even the size of certain parts of the model (a more muscular imp for example) would have to be fully tested to make sure that no problems would arize.

I'm not talking specifically of model attributes, like minor things like skins to major stuff like bulge of muscles, but only AI prefferences.

Besides, there is no testing to do, except regular beta-testing. Let the map designers toy with such options, and only fix weird combinations.

CPU is now free from the burden of graphics processing, so what seemed once a waste of cpu-power or a minor issue may now mean the difference between a game and a polished, flexible one.

If there's relativly few monsters in the game, then sure, cool! Give them some different options. It'll give the game more depth.. you'll 'get to know' each and every monster in the game after a while :)
But if there's hordes of enemies in the levels, then there should be few types. Generally, one visual representation = one function. (originally said by somone on qmap)

Super spectres? I've never played PSX doom, what are "super spectres?"