Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

I thought I would port the first map of Doom 64 to Doom II using stock textures. Of course, some changes had to be made here and there, like some of the more advanced features had to be removed and the secret exit was taken out too. May still be a bug or two that I missed. Don't expect any further Doom 64 maps ported from me.

Tested with Chocolate Doom 1.7.0 and prBoom+ 2.5.1.4.test-win32

Download

If it becomes a community project: (Switcheroom is still my main focus and I'm finishing that before going all out on this)

(The maps are listed as they are listed in Doom 64, and will be arranged in the megawad differently. For the new arrangement check here)

MAP01 - Death Egg
MAP02 - Doomkid92
MAP03 - schwerpunk
MAP04 - Dragonsbrethren
MAP05 - Z86
MAP06 - Sniper109
MAP07 - Da Werecat
MAP08 -
MAP09 - Scet
MAP10 - Z86
MAP11 - Doom64Marine
MAP12 - Sniper109
MAP13 - Avoozl
MAP14 - Z86
MAP15 - Sniper109
MAP16 - BaronOfStuff
MAP17 - C30N9/_bruce_
MAP18 - Pedro VC
MAP19 - BaronOfStuff
MAP20 - _bruce_
MAP21 -
MAP22 - BaronOfStuff
MAP23 -
MAP24 -
MAP28 - Fisk

Features:

MAP25 - BaronOfStuff
MAP26 - BaronOfStuff
MAP27 - BaronOfStuff

Secret Maps:

MAP29 - BaronOfStuff
MAP30 - Death Egg
MAP31 - Fisk
MAP32 - Jimi

It's rare to see anything Doom 64 based. Probably the second time ive seen anything from it outside the Absolution TC or 64 EX.

I'd like to see them PSXified myself.

If memory serves, the last time Death Egg posted an experimental hybrid level it went on to become a rather successful megawad project. ;)

It would be cool to see the other maps get done, but what would you do in the cases of the Nightmare Imp, the Mother Demon, and the Unmaker? Maybe use Dehacked, but I'm not sure it'd be advanced enough for the latter two. (Nightmare Imp could just be replaced with normal Imps anyway)

Should also mention I actually ported this, didn't redraw from scratch, so it likely isn't /idgames acceptable. (Unless they don't count Doom 64 as an IWAD)

I'd totally be cool with someone PSX-ifying the map too, if anyone wants to do that. Maybe as an add-on to the PSX Doom mod.

Yeah, give the Lost Levels guys an excuse to have EVERY. OFFICIAL. LEVEL. in PSX form :p

As for the other bit, the nightmare imp could just be an edit of the nazi, commando, etc, you'd only really need to do slight sprite edits I assume (I have yet to play the game long enough to see them). Motherdemon would need new sprites to match the original art style, as would the Unmaker.

Cool map! It's a nice, clean design too. I never played Doom 64 (or the PSX version) but the area with the green armor reminds me of another converted map. Someone had converted one (or maybe more) of the PSX levels to Boom format, and I think that long raised ledge was actually a conveyer belt. Maybe the rest of the level was similar too, can't remember. Might still have that PWAD on another machine, but I don't know where I got it from (probably just another forum thread like this one).

There was originally a part with a conveyor belt, but I didn't keep it as a conveyor belt as I was aiming for Vanilla compatibility with the map.

Isn't there a "scroll floor, move things" function in Vanilla? Or maybe I'm thinking Boom Compat...

Yeah, it's only in Boom. Could be added on anyways, you just won't get it in Vanilla. (Unless it breaks compatibility) Not like it adds that much to the gameplay.

EDIT: Might do MAP30 now that I think about it, sans Mother Demon for now. (EDIT2: I meant MAP28 apparently as the last five levels are all secret maps.)

You should do the special secret maps imo, theres a few that were standalone bonuses only accessible from a special menu

Interesting idea, I was trying do the opposite not long ago trying to port Doom 1/2 maps such as E1M1 to Doom 64 Ex.

Looks pretty cool, though idk why you limit the converted doom64 maps by not using gzdoom or zdoom. The starting room could use the 3d floors on the ceiling.

But I guess thats just minor nitpicking from me.

This project still looks cool and I look forward to seeing more of it.

Hehe, I was slightly joking when I said I call MAP02, but if this actually generates interest I'm certainly on board. I really like the direction taken with Switcherdoom! so this would be a nice continuation once that's wrapped up.

Alwaysdoomed said:

Looks pretty cool, though idk why you limit the converted doom64 maps by not using gzdoom or zdoom. The starting room could use the 3d floors on the ceiling.

The idea of a Vanilla-compat D64 mod has always seemed awesome to me. I support the idea of using Dehacked to replace the SS Nazi with a Nightmare Imp, though it should be resprited in Doom2 style to fit the rest of the monsters.

The unmaker and motherdemon would be really tough (impossible?) to get running properly in DOS Doom I'd think, I'd say they're best just left out and replaced with existing monsters/guns.

Alwaysdoomed said:

This project still looks cool and I look forward to seeing more of it.

Doom 64 didn't have 3D floors so it's not impossible to emulate the same illusion of the hanging lights from Doom 64's first map.

I just had a silly thought... We already have a Doom64 Builder, right? How about porting Doom's levels to Doom64 instead of the other way around? Doom64 has some really advanced features, and really doesn't get enough love.

EDIT: Oh wow, I just noticed that we're actually doing this. Okay, I call MAP03!

Can Boom do things like spawn items in place? It's not necessary, but key spawning was a big part of (the frustration of) a lot of Doom64's gimmicks. UDMF would probably be the easiest way around these peculiarities, but I'm not sure how many people want to play a whole megawad in ZDoom. Not to mention replicating many of Doom64 would likely require ACS.

Couldn't one just write a script or similar, that runs when the map is started that automatically retextures, adds coloured sector lighting, changes sector types etc?

schwerpunk said:

Can Boom do things like spawn items in place?

Nope. Look into engines with scripting (ZDoom's ACS was mentioned).

Vermil said:

Couldn't one just write a script or similar, that runs when the map is started that automatically retextures, adds coloured sector lighting, changes sector types etc?

I don't see the point in retexturing at the start, but ZDoom (among others) natively supports coloured lighting.

Maybe that's not really the point of this project, I don't know.

Ah yes, I forgot that ZDoom can't have an external script file; it has to be directly attached to the map.

I was thinking, creating a script or similar that retextures the vanilla Doom maps when you enter them. No need to actually edit the maps then.

Avoozl said:

Doom 64 didn't have 3D floors so it's not impossible to emulate the same illusion of the hanging lights from Doom 64's first map.

True but now with zdoom and gzdoom you can actually emulate doom64's illusions with real 3d floors.

Of course if the OP would rather do it in vanilla thats cool too.

Alwaysdoomed said:

True but now with zdoom and gzdoom you can actually emulate doom64's illusions with real 3d floors.

Of course if the OP would rather do it in vanilla thats cool too.

I'm not sure what the point of attempting a perfect replica like that would be, when Doom 64 EX already exists and does it better than you'd be able to in any other source port. The project described in the thread inevitably invites some more artistic license to work around the inherent limitations.

http://i.imgur.com/GsxMFNZ.png

Finished the basic layout for The Absolution, need to find out how to get the monsters to spawn in by just crossing a line, or how to get the demon mother to spawn after that, among other things... May have to redo the way the battle works in general. I've also been trying to get the Nightmare Imp running with DeHacked, but I don't know how to get it to not drop anything upon death. (Also, I have it replacing the SS Nazi, but I might replace the Chaingunner instead so it appears on the screen at the end showing all the monsters that are in the game. (The Mother Demon, if someone can manage to make it work, would replace the Spider Mastermind)

What about the Revenant? He would still appear in the cast call.

Anyway, giving it some thought, Hectic can sort of work. The start room is evil as we all know, and relied on all kinds of unvanilla tricks. The soulsphere can be simplified with a linedef that lowers you, then a second that kills you, and the spontaneous gibbing trap can be a simple Last Call style telefrag trap. For the yellow key(?) arrows, maybe teleporting exploding barrels?

If the target is complete vanilla, Hectic will have to be map 31, with 32 being one of the special maps, ideally the most unique of them. The other secret and special maps would need to be inserted into the regular maps.

I think its most creative to do it for vanilla, a "What if Doom 64 was the third PC IWAD?" kind of thing. Keeping all of its tricks comes too close to what D64EX offers.

Regardless of how this goes, I'm behind it, D64 needs much more exposure and support.

I can't really make any maps for this due to not having played Doom64, but I'm available for DeHackEd work: let me know if you need a hand on that front. :)

Also, Doom 64 doesn't use the Revenant, Arch-Vile, Chaingunner, Spider Mastermind, SS Nazi, Keen or Icon of Sin-related objects, so all are fair game for states and stuff.