Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TMD

MAYhem 2013? More like MARCHem 2014. 3.9.14 realease?!?

Good stuff. I really need to stop making promises on bigger and more streamlined stuff because this kind of had less of a turnout than expected. Sort of expected that given the weird ruleset this time but at least the quality of maps themselves is a notch or two up from what Ive seen thus far. Huzzah to that.

I have a horrible slaughtermap for you all, with sergeants and arachnotrons galore. Enjoy. Don't stay in one place long. Difficulty levels are implemented, but really only affect health/ammo/weaponry - there are not less mobs. Midi is devildriver - swinging the dead.

You need to make the line in front of the first set of doors passthru, or else it breaks in prboom. Check to make sure there aren't other points where this could happen.

E: Also, nice atmosphere, but I will not be playing a map focused on the annoyance elementals.

ArmouredBlood said:

You need to make the line in front of the first set of doors passthru, or else it breaks in prboom. Check to make sure there aren't other points where this could happen.

E: Also, nice atmosphere, but I will not be playing a map focused on the annoyance elementals.

Whoopsie doodle. Will look into.

EDIT: First link dead, use this one. I've never really used PassThru before, so it might still be iffy.

One more, this time with feeling! Download Eternity's Hatred.

Features.
-Gothic metal cathedral/generic REDROCK Hell map - could fit as the last map in an episode or a secret map.
-Co-op starts only.
-Deathmatch stuff: this is my first map with proper Deathmatch items, so here's hoping it works.
-Ghost monsters. >:-D
-Some interesting mapping trickery I've played around with.
-Difficulty settings - these don't really affect the items, just the monsters.

Hopefully this is the last beta. Tested in GZDoom and a little in PrBoom. Thanks to ArmouredBlood for helping with bugs.

^ Played through Eternity's Hatred in ZDoom, couldn't figure out how to enable ghost monsters so I didn't get to see them. Really spooky level with a host of cool touches that you used, like the collapsing walls in the SSG room, the corpse cages, and the grating-floor mirage in the western area. Smart stuff Obsidian.

It plays okay overall, certainly could have been far more annoying than I thought it was going to be. Ammunition is kept deliciously low and besides getting roasted when I didn't know where AV's were going, it was a fair outing. Only thing I kinda skipped was the final battle, seeing as you left me with only RL ammo and the PE's spew out so many Lost Souls that clearing them out is too much of a headache. I say decrease their number to just two, but I only played it once and basically ran past it, so I'll have to give it more thought the next time I try.

Other than that, my only other thing is that you should change the Evil Eye things in the main room to Floating Skulls, as their green sigil clashes poorly against the mostly brown+red theme.

Thanks for the feedback. :) Ghosts can be enabled in PrBoom, in case you were wondering. I had the evil eyes because they matched the candles, but I could possibly change them if there's enough demand. :P

Since we're at the end of May, what's the official stance on late maps? I'll be submitting one of mine soon but the other map still needs a ton of work done on the floors, ceiling, and central chambers, so it definitely won't be ready in time (it's beatable, but I'd rather not submit something partially finished).

Dont worry about time. A few days leeway is all well and good, especially considering the smaller scope this year.

And what was the point of time limit if it's not enforced? Wasn't this a part of the challenge, to try to finish your map in one month?

Harmata said:

And what was the point of time limit if it's not enforced? Wasn't this a part of the challenge, to try to finish your map in one month?

A seven-map wad isn't really what we were shooting for. Anyways, it's still the last of May where I am: there's still time! =D

Doomworld is all about misleading wad titles. 32in24 wads that have more or less than 32 maps and that were made in like a week. Congestion 1024 maps that don't fit into 1024x1024 squares. Wads in a month that weren't made in a month.

I failed, I constructed quite a large map and then thought it was complete horse shit. The end :P

TheMionicDonut said:

Dont worry about time. A few days leeway is all well and good, especially considering the smaller scope this year.

Can you also wait for me and my map then? I'll be completed sometime next month, maximally in July. :)
No, don't take that seriously. I apologize, I had (and wanted) to do other things in May and my map is way too incomplete now, so don't expect it, sorry.

Harmata said:

The challenge was to make a full wad (accepted to be 11 maps or more) in one month. Since the 11 map thing is not in the cards, why should it be arsed to enforce the one month thing. I kind of blame myself for making such an odd set of rules. Not that it was a bad idea, but to expect those kind of results in one month.

Oh well, chalking it up to a learning experience.

why should it be arsed to enforce the one month thing

Because that's the whole point of the MAYham? One month community project? Without that, it kinda loses its point.

(accepted to be 11 maps or more)

The most "odd" rule you've implemented, other were fine.

Theme song for this post:
http://youtu.be/JnCluApO0Kw

Well, i failed too. Still can't believe i've managed to spend so much time on one area thinking that i'll always have time to work on all others, but then the last day of May came and there was no time at all. It's 22:36 in Ukraine, i have 3 areas more to detail, one to create, but i can't keep my eyes open. This is it.

It sure was an interesting month, i've learned a lot about workflow, got myself couple of neat working habits, and the things i've finished are not bad at all, will not be a shame to release the map after some more work. Even tho i failed, i don't feel like i've wasted my time and health, i feel sober.

Lol, I just rushed to do my map in 3 days at the end of may and people keep saying that's it better then the other maps.

Harmata said:

Because that's the whole point of the MAYham? One month community project? Without that, it kinda loses its point.

The most "odd" rule you've implemented, other were fine.

What is 32in24?

One month mapping is a guideline. Im not saying take all the time you need. I'm saying finish the map but Ill still accept it after midnight (mostly because Im busy this weekend so you may as well do more with it). Ill probably compile on Sunday or Monday.

very pretty map dobu, creative aesthetics. here's a fda of me dying horribly and giving up. played with saves to see the last area, hot damn it was cool looking, and no way I'd survive that on the first time through :p

I was also making a blue map to complement the red one, but I like your visuals better so I'ma scrap mine.

Terribly sorry for the delay, but unfortunately I was away on the last day of May - so please, accept this one please!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yul61rczzx2srqq/K_ORANGE.wad

MAP01 replacement with custom music, but put the map whereever you want! Monsters are Imps and Mancubuses. Difficulty isn't included, I'm too lazy for that, sorry. Music is from a mobile game called Cyberlords: Arcology. cc4-tex is NOT included!

Also, I couldn't find any good name for it, just some suggestions:

The Orange Mall
Discount for Imps
Busy Night in Arcology (reference to the music source)
Cyberpunk Imps
Orange and Green
Fight for the Mall
Fight for the Discount
Orange City

I felt all of them silly, so feel free to choose a custom name.

Katamori said:

Also, I couldn't find any good name for it, just some suggestions:

The Orange Mall
Discount for Imps
Busy Night in Arcology (reference to the music source)
Cyberpunk Imps
Orange and Green
Fight for the Mall
Fight for the Discount
Orange City

I felt all of them silly, so feel free to choose a custom name.

Orange night.