Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

DM Revival - MANAGEMENT HELP NEEDED

Lol it's alright dude. If you need a copy of my patch files just let me know. I was also wondering if you can change the MIDI file in horto bellatorem to the MIDI used in your toonz.wad level 5. I personally like that one better :)

Doomkid92 said:

A VASTLY IMPROVED DMR BETA APPROACHES...

Huge improvement! No doubt helped by the removal of my crud ;) Some new maps in there - like Maps 05 and 23, both of which I like. On the cosmetic side, I noticed quite a few dodgy alignments - the most egregious involved lots of short lines, seemingly with their x-offset all set to 0 (some with the y-offset also). The ones that really stuck out was the nukage fall on Map07 - looks awful -, the marble hallway, and the flesh pillar, on Map 24, and some of the rocks on Map27. Spotted one missing texture on Map24 (which has been hugely improved, BTW) here.

durian said:

Huge improvement! No doubt helped by the removal of my crud ;) Some new maps in there - like Maps 05 and 23, both of which I like. On the cosmetic side, I noticed quite a few dodgy alignments - the most egregious involved lots of short lines, seemingly with their x-offset all set to 0 (some with the y-offset also). The ones that really stuck out was the nukage fall on Map07 - looks awful -, the marble hallway, and the flesh pillar, on Map 24, and some of the rocks on Map27. Spotted one missing texture on Map24 (which has been hugely improved, BTW) here.

Glad to hear you liked my new map Durian (map23) and thanks for pointing out the missing texture--I'll fix that over the weekend along with whatever tweaks you guys think map24 needs. (getting the teleporter hallways to work properly again is at the top of my to-do list). Weapon/item placement in that map still needs tweaking I think.

doomguy93 said:

Hey doomkid92 I made two new screens that replaced the original Help screen and the Credit screen. It will make a great addition to the next beta.

Hahaha, the F1 screen is awesome. I think I may use that as an easter egg, I already have a screen made up that credits all of the authors and lists which maps they made. :)

Regarding voting, it's already finished up. I recieved about 10 votes in total and all voters wanted to remain anonymous. I have the scores tallied up here. (I didn't want to post them originally, but a few have requested them.)

DMR01 - 8/10

Rocket Jump - 5/10

Block Fort - 7/10

Opposing Forces - 4/10

Generic UAC Base - 8.5/10

Trips and Tracks - 6.5/10

Weapon Research Facility - 8.5/10

oT_War - 9/10

Entrymake 2 - 7.5/10

The Crematorium - 6/10

Spaceport - 7.5/10

Enzo 01 (Outpost 17) - 9/10

Judgement - 9/10

Combat Fields Pt. 1 - 3/10

Splatter House - 8.5/10

You're In Hell - 8.5/10

Entrymake 3 - 7.5/10

Alpha Arenas - 2.5/10

Skull Crusher - 9/10

Deathmatch Prison - 7/10

Hell Halls - 8.5/10

JP DM - 9.5/10

No Fun Zone - 9/10

Suicide House.AVI - 7.5/10

Total War - 4/10

R. Dungeon - 8.5/10

Enzo 02 (soul recycler) - 8.5/10

Training Center V2 - 8.5/10

Horto Bellatorem - 7.5/10

Combat Fields Pt. 2 - 3/10

Roots Bloody Roots - 7.5/10

Actual.WAD - 9/10

The Grand Void - 8/10

Using this tally I decided more or less what would stay and what would go, with the exception of a few I liked enough to keep anyway.

There are 2 maps that sort of 'grazed over' the voting process, Power Plant and JP DM 2, but I really like those maps so I'm keeping them around. I needed something solid to replace durian's old maps, too.

lol I'm glad you liked them Doomkid92. Too bad I missed the boat on the voting thing. But i'm pretty happy with the results of my maps and it's a shame that durian's maps are no longer in this wad :/

When do you think this project with be finished?

Doomkid92 said:

Using this tally I decided more or less what would stay and what would go, with the exception of a few I liked enough to keep anyway.

There are 2 maps that sort of 'grazed over' the voting process, Power Plant and JP DM 2, but I really like those maps so I'm keeping them around. I needed something solid to replace durian's old maps, too.

Why is my map is so underrated? :(.

joe-ilya said:

Why is my map is so underrated? :(.

Don't be offended Joe-i, there's always a chance to make bigger better things in the future. I'd say the main problem with the map was the size of the corridors and combat field, everything needed to be expanded. After that, maybe a bit of detail and more balanced weapon and powerup placement, but it's not too far off. I might whip up some ideas for your map when I have spare time. I did the same for Ogre's Crematorium map and it's a lot of fun for duels.

My 'Opposing Forces' map got a really bad score too, but looking at it now.. I'm not surprised. Omega's map got a lower score than it deserved I think, though it's not really a traditional DM style map which is one of the aspects of this project.

Enzo03 said:

And I still need a daytime sky for Outpost 17 aka Enzo 01.

Do you have the patch you want to use? The only daytime sky we have looks cartoony, the one that's in Block Fort now but I can put it on your map as well if you like.

What sky did you want for Soul Recycler? Also if you want different MIDIs that's great too, the ones there were just placeholders from older maps.

doomguy93 said:

it's a shame that durian's maps are no longer in this wad :/

Who knows, some time in a distant future far, far away, we may see versions of these maps.. On steroids. ;) Or they may end up as distant memories of a DMR passed.

doomguy93 said:

When do you think this project with be finished?

Hopefully before the end of June! That seems pretty realistic judging from the last beta (and several more fixes I've added since.)

One thing I want to do is fill the map29, map30 and map32 slots, just so none of the old D2 maps are lingering around. Dusk is working on something that looks pretty brilliant to fill one of those remaining spots:

Maybe somewhere down the road there will be a DMR 2 lol
If I can get a new patch of my signature for my two maps along with a new MIDI for horto bellatorem, I think i'll be satisfied :)

I've finally fixed up shockwave's credits texture.

While doing this, it sort of inspired me. I know exactly what should fill the map30 slot, a credits map. Something along the lines of UDM 3's end area though of course we don't need a photo of everyone, but to have all of our names up there would be nice. I need to find some sort of image editor that can add fake randomized "snow" over an image to give it some life as opposed to just being static.

Just an idea but maybe for the credits we could have all the mappers avatars with the names? Or would that be too much (and there is some without avatars)

P.S You're in Hell (my map) got 8.5? HELL YEAH!

Awesome, I'm glad you guys like the idea of a credits map.

mrthejoshmon said:

Just an idea but maybe for the credits we could have all the mappers avatars with the names? Or would that be too much (and there is some without avatars)

P.S You're in Hell (my map) got 8.5? HELL YEAH!

I think that's a wonderful idea. Every user has a 64x64 texture patch with whatever they want in it, plus their name in the classic Doom font. Unless anyone absolutely hates the idea, I'll certainly be doing this. Everyone get an icon ready :)

Doomkid92 said:

I've finally fixed up shockwave's credits texture.

While doing this, it sort of inspired me. I know exactly what should fill the map30 slot, a credits map. Something along the lines of UDM 3's end area though of course we don't need a photo of everyone, but to have all of our names up there would be nice. I need to find some sort of image editor that can add fake randomized "snow" over an image to give it some life as opposed to just being static.

I like this a lot better than what it originally was! Nice man!

Doomkid92 said:

Everyone get an icon ready :)

Yeah, Just use my Doomworld avatar for it (I think its 64 by 64, but it may be less)

Doomkid92 said:

Do you have the patch you want to use? The only daytime sky we have looks cartoony, the one that's in Block Fort now but I can put it on your map as well if you like.

What sky did you want for Soul Recycler? Also if you want different MIDIs that's great too, the ones there were just placeholders from older maps.

Uh... oh. Maybe this weekend I can get one. I still have absolutely no idea how skies in Doom work and haven't bothered to look it up. Now that it's on my mind I can't do it now since I'm preparing to move.

Enzo03 said:

Uh... oh. Maybe this weekend I can get one. I still have absolutely no idea how skies in Doom work and haven't bothered to look it up. Now that it's on my mind I can't do it now since I'm preparing to move.

I think the sky loops (repeats) about 3/4 times in the sky, that means the right side should fit perfectly to the left, I do not rember what size it should be though.

A sky should be 128 * 256 (normal looping) or 128 * 1024 (for when you want a skybox-like effect). Note that modern ports may allow for a taller sky (not sure)

Speaking of skies, just a reminder. Skull Crusher was supposed to use the red sky, but if the blue one is preferred then that's ok, it doesn't look too bad.

I think I'll change the sky back to red, the blue skies are a bit overused as they stand now I think. Also, I'm sorry for changing the MIDI in Power Plant, but that "Bodies" one was even worse than the actual song ;P I think the one I'm using now will go to, it's still kind of obnoxious.

I think I may scrap the "player icon" idea after all and just go for a more traditional credits map, because some of the mappers who have submitted awesome stuff have gone AWOL and would just have a blank space. A few ones that are still Doom related will just be placed around for the hellofit, like joshmon's avatar or Cpt. T's cacotroll.

Doomkid92 said:

I think I'll change the sky back to red, the blue skies are a bit overused as they stand now I think. Also, I'm sorry for changing the MIDI in Power Plant, but that "Bodies" one was even worse than the actual song ;P I think the one I'm using now will go to, it's still kind of obnoxious.

I think I may scrap the "player icon" idea after all and just go for a more traditional credits map, because some of the mappers who have submitted awesome stuff have gone AWOL and would just have a blank space. A few ones that are still Doom related will just be placed around for the hellofit, like joshmon's avatar or Cpt. T's cacotroll.

I think a traditional credits map will do fine. Although the icon credits list did sound pretty cool. If you need any help making the credits list feel free to let me know man!

Im just confused as to how that would work.

DMR is still alive and kicking! I've been working on a new Beta featuring plenty of little imrovements - Lots of progress once again. (Why does this kind of stuff have to be so tedious and time consuming?!)

-Credits map built! I went the simple "Names scrolling in lights" route, no picking of favorites or little icons or anything. I think this works best anyway.

-Texture issues begone! Aside from the VERY rare stray flat, every texture issue is resolved and all maps are totally cross compatable. It took plenty of time, but this is a great step!

-Details added. Map 16 (Deathmatch Prison) was very bare, and has had a lot of love shown to it. I think it's looking pretty slick. Map 24 (Splatter House) is an awesome map but it suffers from some serious textures issues. A few other maps could stand a bit more detail too. Joepallai, do you plan on working further on this map? Just let me know whenever :)

-Some MIDI's changed. Some repetitive MIDI's were swapped and other requests have been met. If you want me to change your song, just send the new file my way and I'll put it right in.

Long short, here's where we stand: Another run through of beta testing: Looking for any remaining glitches, and detailing the very few remaining sparse areas. Any texture alignments should be pointed out too - We want the maps to have that nice 'finished' look to them.

Dusk is also working on a map that looks quite sexy, I'm hoping to hear back from him about that soon. I want to give it a blast!

I think it's safe to put soft a release date on this - So let's set it to July 4th! Everyone squeeze those final changes in now, and let me know if you plan on doing any further work to your maps! Screenshots and the latest DMR wad coming very very soon!

Excellent news doomkid92. I'll send you the file of the midi

Sounds good, I was close to asking what had happened to the project.

If my two maps need any editing don't hesitate to let me know, either here or by pm.

Doomkid92 said:

-Map 24 (Splatter House) is an awesome map but it suffers from some serious textures issues. .Joepallai, do you plan on working further on this map? Just let me know whenever :)

I think it's safe to put soft a release date on this - So let's set it to July 4th! Everyone squeeze those final changes in now, and let me know if you plan on doing any further work to your maps! Screenshots and the latest DMR wad coming very very soon!

Shooting for July 4th sounds like a good idea, as I'll be able to lose spectacularly to good players over a long weekend! :)

I'm still tweaking splatter house and will have it done inside of 2 weeks. Also there might be a final tweak to my 2nd map--not sure.