Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Genki

The Metal / Rock Music Fans

I think King Diamond and Mercyful Fate are one of those love or hate bands for people. Every metal head loves or hates them. I have not meet anyone that falls between the two. I love both tho I will be honest, it took me a bit to warm up to them due to The Kings vocals. But, now I respect the guy for them. He tried to be different from the start and has stuck to his guns. To many bands are trying to sound and look the same these days. Metal is getting as bad as country.

On a side note, that is one of my top 5 album covers.

Satyr000 said:
To many bands are trying to sound and look the same these days.
[/B]

It has always been like that.

And btw: I think KD and MF are OK =) I dont love them, but I like them.

Malinku said:

I don't think metal can ever tun into crappy standard pop/rock music.

What do you mean, exactly? Please show me an example of "crappy standard pop/rock music". For every example you show me, I'll show you an example of "crappy standard metal music".

One of coolest bands ever! I can't help but laugh when I see stupid troo black metal kids these days attacking the roots of their shitty music, saying "but these guys aren't serious enough when they sing about Satan, and how can they write a song called "teachers pet?"". As if you have to pull some serious frown on your face when you sing about some guy that's on fire in the center of the earth. The metal scene takes itself too seriously nowadays, and I'm also starting to see the same in professional "tasteful" Doom wads nowadays as well. :P
/end rant

Cool to see Mercyful Fate get a mention, I had a hard time warming up to it as well, but in the end it was a very rewarding band to get into.

Malinku said:

I don't think metal can ever tun into crappy standard pop/rock music.

You obviously haven't kept up with the "evolution" of so many bands in the Finnish death metal scene.... :(

Just to name one:

darkreaver said:

What do you mean, exactly? Please show me an example of "crappy standard pop/rock music". For every example you show me, I'll show you an example of "crappy standard metal music".

Yeah there's a lot of shit metal out there.... maybe around 95% of it probably sucks, but around 100% of pop/rock sucks completely, unless we're talking stuff from the 70's/80's, a handful of exceptions there... or if stuff in the vein of Uriah Heep and Deep Purple are included then the ratio of shit to shine would be in favor rock. But I think he's referring to modern soulless pop/rock.

darkreaver said:

I know that crappy standard metal is out their. Most if not all extremely popular metal bands or bands signed to major labels have at least a song or maybe even a whole album you could lump in their.

But I'll take those songs over just about any modern country song about a truck, drinking at your favorite bar or being a kid on a farm.
(If i ever make a metal band I think I know what Lyrical themes will be haha)

and bands like Pyogenesis.

Which is why I tend to stick to underground metal bands (and it helps me run my label).

Great news,Dark Tranquility's new album "Construct" is out, it was supposed to be released on 27, but it seems to be leaked.
Check it out now.

I had prepared some lobsters for a BBQ at my friends house. I felt like this was the appropriate theme music to work to.

(It's pretty tasty actually. I had them boiled at the super-market. Then I cut them in half down the middle. Snapped off the arms, and pulled the meat out, which I stuffed into head cavity. I then brushed them with some olive-oil that was mixed with crushed peppers, parsley, and other spices. I placed it on tin-foil, and threw it on the BBQ for 10 mins. It was fantastic.)

The only thing I don't like about Mortician is how they don't have a proper drummer. I know the drum machine has become their recognisable gimmick, but still.

The thought of barbecued lobster is making me hungry.

DoomUK said:

The thought of barbecued lobster is making me hungry.

Me too actually haha. I also stuffed the head cavity with crab meat, but it was the imitation kind. Nevertheless, it was very good.

Mortician actually had some great recordings from 90-91 when they had a real drummer... sadly he died in 92. I hate to say it but the drum machine and lack of thought / variety put into it really is a deal breaker for me, and some of their more celebrated songs with the drum machine are either covers of their early stuff or a cover of another band... also being the caveman I am, I prefer the organic sound of drums getting smashed in analog production. Anyway now that you've heard me whinging here are some mortician tracks from the era that I DO like. :P

Also, here's a fucking awesome new death metal band; maniacs from Spain who play a dark morbid style of death metal with a thick suffocating atmosphere with vocals that sound like they could have been recorded by "Consuming Impulse" era Martin Van Drunen. One of my albums for 2012 for sure:

New album is released by "Megadeth" in title "Super Collider"
check it out now.

darkreaver said:

Not going, but Convulse, Midnight, Manilla Road, Repulsion, Hellshock and Tragedy would have been cool.

Kinda lame line up all in all imo.

MDF was not that great. Carpathian Forest dropped off the bill, and Venom's set got cut short (on top of playing a lot of new songs that nobody likes). I think one of the only interesting things that happened was a small melee that happened between the concert goers and security at the end. Definitely NOT worth $155.

ive never seen so many doom metal fans, what a coincidence haha. I know I'm a little late to the party with this here I'm new I apologize, but some bands i listen to are:

-Children of Bodom (Something wild through HCDR, hopefully halo of blood will be more like their old style)
-Wintersun
-Ensiferum
-Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer (sorry anthrax)
-Amon Amarth
-Insomnium
-Blind Guardian
-Sonata Arctica
-Death
-Rhapsody of Fire
-Kreator
-Pantera

lot of Scandinavian Death Metal really, i.e. melodic death metal along with other elements mixed in. It's unfortunate how nobody seems to really know or like Wintersun, they're great, I've only seen one mention of them, but I didn't peruse the whole thread, only about half of it.

This aint metal, but I thought you chaps might still dig it - if you're initially puzzled as to why I've posted it, hang til around the 3 minute mark.

Need some fuel for yor blood? Well, here's some adrinaline boost:

I think i'll add "rock" to the title, cuz' I have great songs that I need to share.

I have to rant some more about DSBM, sorry.

Before DSBM became an actual sub-genre of black metal and before everyone jerked off to the asshat Kvarfoth or what hell he's called, you listened to Forgotten Woods.

I just realised that Xasthur have made a cover of this song. Xasthur's signature sound really fits this song, but the original is of course way better. And speaking of Xasthur, I kinda like him. I bought Telepathic with the deceased on double vinyl which was cool. It's a great album and a they did a very good job on the vinyl release. Got an Xasthur cassette laying around somewhere too. Maybe it's worth money now when he's turned all famous, heh. This is the best song from Telepathic with the deceased.

Some of the bands I listen to, mostly different kinds of metal:

Deathstars
Despised Icon
Dream Theater
Lamb of God
Machine Head
Megadeth
Metallica
Moth (great melodic DM band, debut album Endlessly In Motion rocks)
Rammstein
Slayer
Slipknot
Stone Sour

I'll list a few favourites of mine:

Hell are a great band. You sort of need to listen to the album to fully understand them but they're brilliant. Red Fang are one of the best rock band going at the moment in my opinion. Hard, heavy and drunk, their song Wires will stay in your head for days.

Orchid are very similar to Black Sabbath in sound but have their own sort of style which makes them more than listenable. Kyuss have often been tagged as Black Sabbath wannabes but if you really listen to the wall of sound that is Kyuss you realise that that assumption is quite wrong.

Queens of the Stone Age, once again I have to use the term "one of the best rock bands" to describe them. Orange Goblin are another "stoner" rock band that have taken my fancy recently.

Children Of Bodom's new album "Halo Of Blood" is out, check it out now:

Children of Bodom went from good (Wild to Deathroll) to meh (AYDY to current). They pulled the same crap that made Dragonforce mediocre as well.