Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

Just my 2 cents: I replaced the Chaingunner and the Cyb(I replaced the Spiderdemon with Cyb, don't worry) specifically so the new monsters would show up on the cast call. The sounds problem is a pain in the butt, but I'm glad I could manage what I did. :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the fuzzy effect doesn't show up in the cast call as well, so I kind of had to whip up some seperate sprites.

Probably not the most faithful conversion in the world.

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/b79387ba99/

The north-east part was especially interesting to work on. It featured a rather complex fake 3D effect, so the area had to be redesigned completely. At the same time, I didn't want to change the basic geometry that much.

The whole two version thing would be kind of terrible if it was done side by side, yeah. I meant more of an after-release thing. Theres already a possibility these could be converted to PSX Doom for the Lost Levels project afterall. At first the goal should be getting the maps themselves done though. At the moment theres only two things in the way there: A definite set of skies, and E2 and E3 level placement.

Obsidian said:

Just my 2 cents: I replaced the Chaingunner and the Cyb(I replaced the Spiderdemon with Cyb, don't worry) specifically so the new monsters would show up on the cast call. The sounds problem is a pain in the butt, but I'm glad I could manage what I did. :)

Hmm, you could swap the thing slots with existing monsters, but then of course that means the monsters you swapped out won't be in the cast call either :P. The ending cast call is probably a pretty minor aesthetic thing anyways (I've replaced a ton of monsters in Supplice and the cast call is kind of LOL at this point).

Having a fuzzy Imp for the Nightmare Imp sounds like an interesting idea actually. I'm not sure how it would work in a gameplay setting but it would be worth trying out. That would actually open up room for adding an extra monster if you guys were so inclined.

BaronOfStuff said:

Personally I'm not really fond of replacing fully-functional monsters, even if they are novelty easter eggs such as the Wolfenstein SS -- someone might find an excuse to use 'em after all! Isn't there an identical decoration object (one of the stump things) that this can use the thing number of? Of course this still leaves the issue of 'what sprites are we supposed to use', but blah.

I feel like the number of mappers that might use the SS Nazi or IoS is going to be very small compared to those who might want to use a Nightmare Imp or similar. I'm sure a use could be found for them, but is that slight possibility worth excluding some new content? I'm not so sure, so long as the new monsters are of quality. I know I would definitely prefer to have some new monsters over being stuck with the mostly useless easter egg monsters. But it really just all boils down to personal preference. I'm assuming Death Egg is running the project still, so he will have to make the final call there.

There are a few thing slots that don't really serve any purposes (there's that grey stump and the dead lost soul, yea). But the issue isn't really thing slots, it's available frames. Monsters use up quite a few frames, whereas something like a decoration object uses, at most, 3 or 4. In bex you can get away with adding a few extra monsters easily. But deh is super picky about what frames can be altered (only non-NULL frames can have their codepointers changed...I think, it has been a while since I messed with vanilla dehacked).

Ragnor said:

The whole two version thing would be kind of terrible if it was done side by side, yeah. I meant more of an after-release thing.

Oh definitely, that would be the way to do it. Just keep the focus on one concept at a time, that way quality isn't sacrificed :)

Mechadon said:

(I've replaced a ton of monsters in Supplice and the cast call is kind of LOL at this point)

Heh, what I'd give to see that. :)

Death Egg said:

I think that marble looks a lot better than SKINMET.

Of course i was never going to choose choose SKINMET as I was just testing out how it would look with other textures then, I just meant it has been hard to decide between others not including SKINMET.

Ragnor said:

Oh please, you cheated and abused the script delay :p I've done that myself, you cant exit the level the true way while getting that armour. Being able to use the weak exit while scripts are messed up is new to me though.

Actually it is possible to get the blue armor and use the hard exit, but it's really about being very lucky to press the exit button just when the crusher script stops and before the blue armor script moves player away from the exit. So, there's a very small chance...

In my version I made the blue armor trap teleport player on top of some barrels, but if player finds a secret, then he can open the barrel room and shoot the barrels. But now that there is that invulnerability at the first platform of the dart room, someone might use it instead...

Thanks, got all that fixed. As for the visplanes, it's been a constant problem. I think I've finally got it so that it doesn't overflow.

Scet said:

Updated version of Even Simpler. Fixed textures and added more monsters.

The gray hall in the last shot looks bland compared to the rest of the level (it also might be a little narrow for dodging arachnotrons, though not terribly so). I'd suggest using some other texture there. Maybe a different texture on each side like in the other hall.

The original Doom 64 level did also have a little decorative texturing along the outermost wall to break up the monotony, so that might be something to consider too. I never saw your first version so I don't know if that's something you had to cut for the visplane limit.

Otherwise it looks very good.

I'll have a go at fucking with Burnt Offerings. Might take a while to get something out of it, but it should be simple enough to remake.

WITH THOUSANDS OF NEW LINEDEFS.

Goodness, it has been some time since I've seen a challenge like this.

I suppose since my beloved eye of the storm has been claimed, I'll take Terror Core (Map 11).

...Am I allowed to use my own sky texture while keeping everything else Vanilla?

Sorry I've been so inactive here - I'll be posting some screenshots of progress soon, the map is underway.

Progress on my map has already begun today, I'm rather excited about the whole idea. Most of them would not only make great single player maps but DM maps as well if that later becomes an option. For now I'll work on Vanillaizing Map11.

I need to work on the detail, and also capture the ambiance of the original map..However, my goal was to mimic the architecture.

Vanilla Mode : http://imageshack.us/a/img15/9734/screenshotdoom201306091.png

Original, Via D64EX : http://imageshack.us/a/img96/6861/57343914.png

This sounds interesting. I would have taken Dark Citadel because it's big and spooky, but alas, it's been spoken for. I've always loved Altar of Pain as well, so sign me up for that.

I'll get to work on it as soon as I finish my work for D2TWID, or Tarnsman will kill me to death.

This could be great - very good shots so far!
Should the architecture be 100% like the original or is a mild deviation allowed as long as the basic path/look is there?
Can there be an additional secret?

Well I would like it to stay fairly close to the original architecture, changing when necessary or when the original architecture really can't be translated well to Doom II at all. So yeah, I suppose that would entail mild deviation, though... Adding a secret shouldn't be too much of a problem since secrets are already having to be removed due to impossibility of recreating them in Doom II. (The barrel secret in MAP01)

Early progress so far:

Horrible resolution is horrible I guess, but that's the downside to using -devparm and F1. And no I can't be bothered to upscale the images, etc., because I am lazy.