Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soldat

Megawads: You pick 'The Grand Five'

Doom 3: Mr. Smiley Head's Safari - extract just the maps & musics :-)
njdoom
Serenity/Eternity/Infinity trilogy
Jaguar Doom TC (console maps ported to vanilla doom.exe)
DTWID
Wonderful Doom
Ultimate NMD
/bin/sh -c 'slige -levels 32 && bsp slige.out && doom -file tmp.wad'

Oh, guess I can't count either. ;-)

The Plutonia Experiment
Doom 2 The Way id Did (not finished yet, but I'm sure it'll make it to the top five)
Perdition's Gate
Speed of Doom
Alien Vendetta

I still haven't played many classic megawads, to be honest.

Hellbound
Speed of Doom
Alien Vendetta
Community Chest 4
Whispers of Satan

First five to pop out of my head that I'd give a replay to anyday.

I've only played ~10-15 of them, but I'll try anyways:

1: Alien Vendetta
2: Eternal Doom
3: Requiem
4: Memento Mori II
5: Tie between Icarus, Memento Mori I, and Scythe

Obviously there's a lack of modern stuff on here. That's just because I haven't played any newer ones - the most recent megawad I've played (besides play testing for Interception) was The Rebirth, which I think was from either 2004 or 2005. I'd like to play some more current ones soon though.

Memfis said:

When will we see something equally awesome? It has been more than 3 years since the release of Speed of Doom.

Revelations of Doom should be right up your alley whenever that comes around...

Touchdown said:

filler maps

Yeah, OK, so they just make maps for the sake of making maps, you know, just to make maps to fill some space. Yeah OK.

alien vendetta
prcp
pl2 - i just like that plutonia theme
requiem
d2twid when it´s ready, i´m having a blast playing it

tough to decide, though

I know Requiem has a lot of very pretty maps, especially for vanilla, but its continued popularity confounds me.

Phml said:

Way to go, choose the only real slaughter map in the entire DVIIFE to prove a point. (yeah, I know there's one more but it's a secret map or something)

dew said:

then why do you play them with -nomonsters?

j4rio said:

Whenever there is something against slaughtermaps, it's always the most bizzare reasons that get pulled up. Empty slaughtermaps? Double-you-tee-eff?

Because 'empty' has only one meaning.

valkiriforce said:

Yeah, OK, so they just make maps for the sake of making maps, you know, just to make maps to fill some space. Yeah OK.

I have no idea what is your point.

In no particular order:

Alien Vendetta
Kama Sutra
Doom 2 Reloaded

... Oh fuck, a blackout.
nevermind.

Whispers of Satan
Hell Awakened

Community Chest 4
Back to Saturn X E1
Plutonia 2
Khorus' Speedy Shit
Jenesis
Hellbound

It's 6 for me... I'm halfway through Whispers of Satan. I suspect that if I had finished it by now, it would be on my list.

Touchdown said:
Way to go, choose the only real slaughter map in the entire DVIIFE to prove a point. (yeah, I know there's one more but it's a secret map or something)

Because 'empty' has only one meaning.

I have no idea what is your point.

Perhaps if you were less aggressive in your posting, people would be less snarky in their replies.

I mean, your original post actually brings up a couple of interesting question: is 32 maps a worthwhile goal in and of itself? Do players prefer a "full" megawad even if it means some of the levels are of a lesser standard? Do so-called "filler" levels actually serve a vital pupose? (I'd argue that in some cases they're vital, myself - and in others they exist purely to meet the map count *cough*Requiem map32*cough*) But no-one's talked about them due to the way you posed them.

Aggresive? If that's the case then some people are really touchy. And ignoring the important points just because of that doesn't really make sense to me.

Anyway, if anyone has problems with what I said that isn't part of the thread, PM me to avoid derailing the thread.

And yes, by filler I mean maps that are there just to meet the 32 map count. Short / intermission maps are fine as long as they are there for a purpose.

Touchdown said:

And yes, by filler I mean maps that are there just to meet the 32 map count. Short / intermission maps are fine as long as they are there for a purpose.

So you decide whether or not the maps have a purpose? By what criteria? Did you email each of these megawad authors and ask them if they just made filler maps or did you simply assume they were?

I prefer classic style so I'd have to pick:

Av
Scythe
MM2
Revolution!
CC3
DTWID (not for doom2..but eh!)

AV
AV
AV
AV
AV

I've enjoyed a lot of other megawads over the years, but this is the only one I would hold up next the original iwads and say "this is comparable," or even, "this is better" (referring to AV). The fact that AV isn't on everyone's top 5 is a bit of a surprise to me.

P.S. although DTWID is a close second (or sixth). I don't know why it doesn't have the same staying power for me... Maybe over the years it'll continue to grow on me.
P.P.S. sorry about the long postscript.

schwerpunk said:
I've enjoyed a lot of other megawads over the years, but this is the only one I would hold up next the original iwads and say "this is comparable," or even, "this is better"

Which is interesting to me, because I generally don't hold the Doom and Doom 2 IWADs in very high regard, level-wise (KDitD excepted).

Capellan said:

Which is interesting to me, because I generally don't hold the Doom and Doom 2 IWADs in very high regard, level-wise (KDitD excepted).

Objectively, neither do I. But subjectively? I just can't put them down.

For instance, I'm not comfortable enough with any other megawad to just pick it up and play it for five minutes, just because I've got nothing better to do. It's unfair, because the iwads' quality has been surpassed many times over, but there's no accounting for the pull of nostalgia I suppose.

Use3D said:

DTWID (not for doom2..but eh!)

Doom I/Ultimate Doom are perfectly allowable. Anything that is single player compatible, 20 or more maps, not a jokewad, and not doom.wad or doom2.wad. (Even other IWADs are fair game.)

Schwerpunk: Well, most user made megawads tend to be considerably larger and take longer to complete than the IWAD maps, which are better suited to a quick sub-5 minute romp IMO

Use3D said:

So you decide whether or not the maps have a purpose? By what criteria? Did you email each of these megawad authors and ask them if they just made filler maps or did you simply assume they were?

Sometimes you can just see it. There are maps that you immedietely know that the author poured his soul into it (even if it's not insanely huge). And there are maps that lack this. Maybe the author had an idea but wasn't sure how to execute it to be on par with better levels. And sometimes they literally write this in readme, something like "we needed a map so here it is".

Levels that are rushed, underworked, without a clear idea, reach-the-count and such all count as levels that shouldn't be in a quality Megawad. Quality over quantity, if you can't make 32 amazing maps then make 10. Hell, make 5. I'm fine with that.

Besides I don't see a problem here. The way you worded it kind of implies that I can't really judge anything.

In no particular order:

- Alien Vendetta
- Scythe 2
- Hell Revealed 2
- Epic 2
- Speed of Doom
- Kama Sutra

... from the top of my head. These also had a major impact on my mapping as well.

valkiriforce said:

Revelations of Doom should be right up your alley whenever that comes around...

I'm thinking more something like Unholy Realms when that comes out, I did some beta testing for that wad's newer levels and I burn with envy every time. :P

That was the most extreme example. I could just as well have started with the very first map, which is so littered with monsters you can sit and take notice of the times the doomguy *isn't* literally walking on monster corpses to progress. Map12 is a giant green corridor filled with monsters. Map21 has almost the same amount of space devoted to monster teleporters as it has to playable area. Map29 is the very definition of slaughter, for so many people the first experience that prompted them to define and characterize this genre of map.

What is particularly absurd with your argument is that you could have said "99% of all slaughtermaps are shit", and while many would have disagreed with your opinion, that would still be your opinion and you'd be entitled to it. But no, instead you put on your best pre-schooler hat and make up a fantasy definition of "slaughterfest" as "maps with many monsters Touchdown doesn't like" and cherrypick the few slaughtermaps you happen to like out of the category so your flawed prejudice can hold.

no, phml. they're hollow, soulless, purposeless mockeries of real meaningful maps and their lazy authors are subconsciously trying to fill that void with monsters. the worst cases even realize this, sobbing "why am i doing this to myself?" as they copypaste closets with a hundred revenants.

As I mentioned, if you want to continue an off-topic discussion, use PM. Phml, I've sent you a reply.

1. Alien Vendetta
2. 2002 a Doom Odyssey
3. Scythe 2
4. Hell Revealed
5. Icarus: Alien Vanguard

Let's see...

For once I'm actually going to try to rate them. From best to "worst":

1: Alien Vendetta (of course)
2: Plutonia (give me that nostalgia, now!)
3: Speed of Doom (drool)
4: Scythe 2
5: Plutonia 2 or Hell Revealed 2, depends on my mood, as they are very different in style.

So, turns out I couldn't do it. I just HAD to mention six.

darkreaver said:

2: Plutonia (give me that nostalgia, now!)

I couldn't agree more. I find it the most modernly fun IWAD by a long shot. So many people mention all the wads that it probably (or definitely) helped inspire, yet forget the classic that started it all. Even today, Plutonia is awesome, a blast, and easy to love.

In fact I'd even go so far as to say it's a timeless classic, just as much as all those PWADs are.

Touchdown said:

The way you worded it kind of implies that I can't really judge anything.

That isn't true, but I wanted clarification, since the way you worded your response was to imply a 'filler map' was any map you just don't like. It's one thing to not like a map, but to deem it filler sets a stigma on the map that I'm not sure you are justified in claiming in most cases.

Well since a lot of people are paying more than five, and understandably so (I'm not sure I could just keep it to five myself TBH) let's just make this a top ten.

So you can expand your lists now, if you want! :)