Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cacatou

Dual Demos

All right I've been tossing this idea over in my head and I think it might make for an interesting concept. The idea would be to create a demo that solves two levels while playing just one. Basically go to Doom 2 MAP01 in NoMonsters and make the movements required to finish TNT MAP01 or vice versa. I don't know whether it'd be easy. With monsters most likely it'd be impossible. So anyone willing to try?

I've been thinking about this for a long time now, but haven't got around to post about it. It could be really fun I think. It would require alot of patience and practice for longer maps than the usual map01 though. Some maps in dmonfear could be ideal for this idea.

Hey guys, it has been done. Chronologically, you can start from this (hr 30 map full run vs. doom2, "by accident"), then this thread which led to a TAS - exit E1M1 and MAP01, and then there was a WAD created specifically for that...

vdgg said:

(hr 30 map full run vs. doom2, "by accident")

I've seen that one! Who the hell even noticed this? It takes a while for the player before he hits the exit switch, so it wasn't exactly something that happened before the viewer managaed to exit the game when he realised that he launched doom2.exe instead of hr.wad.

Well since I play back in prboom+ as do most, when I make the mistake of only picking the IWAD, I just press End which takes the demo to the next level or ends it if it never reaches the next level. This is most likely what happened, someone saw it exited and was amazed as I was.

Here is a Doom 2 map01 and TNT map01 -nomonsters demo. Surprisingly, I succeeded on the very first attempt. However, my method is very ugly. Basically, I loaded tnt.wad and started playing Doom 2 map01 blind style, not paying attention to what is happening on TNT map01. After I felt like I exited Doom 2 map01 I just played TNT map01 normally from the start.

tnt-doom2-map01.zip

If I understood, this is non-TAS, so it is another "step forward", something not done yet.

Yes, it is non-TAS, my description wasn't very clear I suppose... Again: I loaded tnt.wad map01 and started moving, imagining that I'm in doom2.wad map01. After I activated the imaginary exit I proceeded to complete the map that I was actually playing.