Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TwinBeast

DooM 2 MooD

Once again upon a time there was a time when I decided to start a megawad project. I wonder if this one goes further than just a few levels. Maybe I'll at least try to release this to idgames archive eventually, even if it doesn't become full 32 levels. I was thinking I would try to make one level per week. Currently 2 levels complete.

The levels have some inspiration from the Doom II level names or levels. Plan is to make fun and small levels that are about 5 to 10 minutes long. Perfect fun for days like Sundays or when it's raining.. Nothing too hard or ridiculous, but still some challenge with plenty of monsters. The secrets are meant to be easy to find. The levels are also pistol start compatible, but they will appear to continue from where the previous level ended.

It should work in pretty much any Doom port. Tested with Chocolate-Doom and Doomsday. There are some Flat replacements, so use -merge in Chocolate-Doom.

DOWNLOAD - version 20130609

Screenshots:
Level 01:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/d2m_m01_001.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/d2m_m01_002.png

Level 02:
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/d2m_m02_001.png
http://koti.mbnet.fi/jeejeeje/doom/d2m_m02_002.png

FDA

Dunno if I used cl2 or 9.

The gameplay wasn't too fun, but it worked for 2 maps. There was much more potential for good gameplay given how the layouts were designed. I don't feel like going in to more detail, because I think you can tell what's good and what's not so good when you watch the FDA.

I like what I've played thus far -- died on MAP02 due to carelessness though (playing on UV).

Love how MAP01 opened up, and how MAP02 seems to keep a steady flow of enemies whilst backtracking. Aesthetics are nice, too.

Can't wait for ~32 of these. ;)

dannebubinga said:

FDA

Dunno if I used cl2 or 9.

The gameplay wasn't too fun, but it worked for 2 maps. There was much more potential for good gameplay given how the layouts were designed. I don't feel like going in to more detail, because I think you can tell what's good and what's not so good when you watch the FDA.

No idea about cl2 or 9, but the demo worked fine in Chocolate-Doom...

Looks like you got through them faster than me, even if sometimes it looked like you weren't 100% sure where to go next. Nice demo anyway.

Maybe the green armor could have been more visible from the start of MAP01. Glad I added that opening wall at least, although initially I intended it for possible deathmatch or to get the soulsphere faster if someone decided to save it for later.

I had also thought the PIPE4 walls in MAP01 could open when going the stairs up from the waterway. I tried it, but then didn't really like it... maybe in deathmatch it would make sense, but in deathmatch it would be better for the level to be in it's most open state right away.

Maybe there could a bit less spectres in the nukage pool at MAP02. I hoped they would have used the stairs a bit more. I've also thought that player could get more trapped at the blue keycard, but I didn't want to use more switches or teleports. Now someone could just grab the key and run away. Or maybe just one switch that would lower the keycard platform to the height it is now, but then the switch would be part of the platform.

Also the room before the exit stairway in MAP02 could be a bit longer to allow more room for rocket launching...

Maybe some of the barrels in MAP02 were a bit annoying, but I thought why should they all be placed so that player can use them to damage monsters. So some are placed for monsters to damage player. And some just are there...

Maybe I'll tweak them after I've made some more levels. Meanwhile, more demos/feedback are welcome :)

And.. Nameless Doom got a name: Blaze... it also tried to be about sprites, then about having me code my own engine, and now it seems to have gone somewhere back to what it was first going to be: some models/textures/levels/sounds/minor gameplay modification on Doomsday. At least now it has a name that I don't want to change. Suppose it's still my main project, but I can't really make levels for it yet, so I'll make some Doom levels every now and then.