Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Concerned - Doom Megawad - Now on Idgames

SteveD said:

BTW, do you want us to start at the start -- E1M1 -- or should we start on E2M1?

I'll be playing on Risen3D at least partway through, though I might resort to GZDoom for monster and secret counts. Risen3D will be cool for compatibility testing. I had no trouble with E1 earlier (CBSpeed) using R3D. I'll give stats like I do in the Megawad Club, but will be looking for more specific playtesting-type things in the map as well.

Start where you like. There are some changes in the first episode form example cleaning up the maps and tweaking the gameplay, so you could skim through it. Good luck anyway :) Be as harsh as you like because hey, I'm still learning this mapping game.

Do you think you could spend some days working on improving texture alignment? There are many spots that a lot of players will find quite ugly, especially in the areas that use STARGR textures and the like. Personally, they don't really bother me but they will bother many people I think, if you care about that.

Memfis said:

Do you think you could spend some days working on improving texture alignment? There are many spots that a lot of players will find quite ugly, especially in the areas that use STARGR textures and the like. Personally, they don't really bother me but they will bother many people I think, if you care about that.

I will give it a good shot. I think got e1m1 sorted but the rest will probably drive me to the brink of insanity haha.
Probably good punishment if I can't make the TNS session.

Hey, just looked through this. These maps are awesome and very challenging. Some of the masterminds are stuck in the maps, don't remember which ones though. This is def and cacoward contender once you get the kinks ironed out. Good job.

If you don't mind me asking, what port were you using? None of the masterminds were stuck the last time I played this with prboom. Any way to go through it again and see which ones it was?

I don't usually play d1 maps, but here's an fda for e1, about hour long, or so. I come across a bunch of bugs, from areas that should/shouldn't be damaging, sector flat snafoos, items stuck in walls, etc. I usually pause for and look at the buggy area for a bit, so if you find the time to watch through the demo you'll surely spot them. maps were aiight, later ones were more enjoyable.

honestly the music selection was the driving force in keeping me playing :p, pretty good choices overall.

edit: also an fda for e3, dies on e3m6. mucho id influence on many map, but many brutal'er

fff meant for that to be an edit, ohwell

Cheers Ribbiks, good spot on some bugs for me to fix. I would have FDAed stardate but it would have been very embarrassing and I would have made you change the music entirely to the Benny Hill theme tune :P

I was using prboom+ whatever the latest release is. I think it was actually only one of the masterminds. I'll edit this post later with which one it was, on lunch break right now.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

I was using prboom+ whatever the latest release is. I think it was actually only one of the masterminds. I'll edit this post later with which one it was, on lunch break right now.

It's the one in E2M6, I moved her to fit another one in for co-op and stuck her in the pillar, I've done gone goofed up. This will be fixed in the next beta.

Beta 2a
http://speedy.sh/25T9Y/concernbeta2a.zip
Gameplay tweaks so far
E2M5 - Hell section, the boss monster reveals have a few extra monsters to try and stop the player from escaping the area as easily.
E2M7 - Key fights and exit switch area made harder to escape
E2M8 - a couple of extra monsters added
E3M2 - Yellow key room has a couple of extra monsters to stop easy escape, a lot of visual improvements to this map as well.
All reported bugs fixed.
Minor visual improvements to many levels
Multiplayer tweaked, less cybers and some other monsters added to compensate.
I will probably upload this wad to idgames at the end of the week before I head out for a lot of job interviews at the start of July.
Feel free to report any gameplay issues or any bugs I might have missed.

Wouldn't you know there'd be a new beta by the time I got around to testing. This happened last time, too! ;D

Playing on UV, continuous, frequent save and reload.

E2M1 – Kills – 100, Items – 73, Secret – 66. Time – 16:14. End Health 40, Armor 100+. Death Count – 5

I decided to start on E2 since I’m so far behind. This is a very nice first map. I don’t believe in easy first maps, so I was delighted to get killed 5 times here, though I blame stupid play for much of that. I don’t know if I was killed at all when I played earlier versions, so maybe you upped the monster count.

I really liked the opening with the crushers and the Pinky traps. I suffered my first death here when I backed into a Pinky closet and got swarmed.

You did a nice job starving the player of ammo and health. I spent most of my time below 50% health and with just enough ammo to handle the fights with a small reserve.

One difference I noticed was the Ribbiks-style secret switch for the Computer Map and Green Armor. I was hatin’ on you until I found it, purely by accident. ;D

The blue key battle drained a lot of my ammo, and made the ensuing battle in the central hub a bit more exciting.

The end battle beyond the blue door was very good. I noticed that there was no Insta-Lift for the platform Sergeants this time, which IIRC misfired in an earlier version. I ran out of ammo completely here and forgot that I could walk up onto the platform. As a result, I got killed when I reached the bottom of the stairs after chainsawing the zombieboys.

You had a nice little exit trap, though I wished it could be bigger with the Sergeants behind and the Imps up front. I didn’t run past them, but a player could so it if they wanted to.

All in all an excellent oldschool map. I liked the constant action, the decent number of bigger monsters, and the tension created by low ammo and health. I didn’t see any major issues or bugs. The secrets I found were the Light Amplication Goggles and the Computer Map. I missed the secret at the Sergeant platform. I also thought the texture flow was quite nice. Good job!

BTW, I've already played E2M2 but am too sleepy to write another review. I'll pistol-start this map tomorrow on the new beta so I can go into E2M3 with a backpack, chaingun, and lotsa rockets.;D

cool beans, just to annoy you even more, there will probably be a beta 3 coming out at the weekend as I've made quite a few changes to the maps in episode 3 to make them a little tougher still. I will probably give this wad an extra week till I idgames it as interviews today, next monday and tuesday will be priorities over doom related stuff haha.

cannonball said:

cool beans, just to annoy you even more, there will probably be a beta 3 coming out at the weekend as I've made quite a few changes to the maps in episode 3 to make them a little tougher still. I will probably give this wad an extra week till I idgames it as interviews today, next monday and tuesday will be priorities over doom related stuff haha.

In this case, Beta 3 is great news. Unless you've made a lot of changes in E2 as well, I'll keep doing what I'm doing and then play the new beta for E3. That's one of the nice things about Ultimate Doom, being able to make changes in one episode and leaving the rest alone -- very handy for continuous players. ;)

E2M2 – Kills – 100, Items – 100, Secret – 100. Time 25:31. End Health 200, Armor 104. Death Count - Zero

Much easier than E2M1, although I suffered low health here and there and avoided a couple deaths because I opened saved games to try and do better.

I really like the opening, with enemies feeding in from two sides as you engage the monsters already in the room. Classic Romero Knee Deep-style gameplay and I took some damage. Very nice continuing fight as you explore the side corridors and find yourself suffering rapid health loss. I did, anyway. ;D This time there’s plenty of ammo, so it’s easier to deal with than E2M1.

Having played the map before, I decided to grab the chaingun and do the blue key area first, perhaps masochistic of me. It would have been better to grab the chaingun and do the crate maze first, because then I’d have had the rocket launcher and backpack before going down into the most dangerous part of the map.

Because I made the wrong choice, I was able to experience some really exciting gameplay. The trap at Sector 245, where you press a switch to lower the blue key platform, was very nicely done, and the secret area was nice and big, E1-style. On the very first beta, there were a lot of inaccessible secret sectors that had been built onto the main secret area, thus sharing the secret attribute. Nice to see that they’re all gone now.

Grabbing the blue key leads to the toughest fight, where you have monsters teleporting in above you and you have to ride that lift up and basically get mobbed at close quarters. After some nasty up and down fighting, I finally traded blows with the last Imp and was reduced to 7% health. Hell yeah! That was fun.

I went and fought for the yellow key before entering the crate maze, even though I'd forgotten about the Berserk in there, so it was a nice surprise. I remember looking at the Sergeants inside and thinking one hit was gonna finish me. Nice tension builder for those of us who attacked the map incorrectly. ;D

The crate maze was where all of a sudden you turn into Santa Claus. 2 RLs, a chaingun, plenty of rockets, a backpack – sheesh, that made this easy. A player can get killed in one area if they fail to notice the distant Baron. That happened to me on the first beta. I thought this was a good-looking area and the fights were fun – I especially liked the Baron platform and its cool-looking columns -- but maybe you’re a tad too generous and this is a tad too easy. Props on the sneaky Soulsphere secret.

The only thing I really object to in the map is the final trap. It is way too easy and is completely telegraphed by all the demonic grumbling you can hear. It’s a simple matter to press all the switches and haul ass before the monsters show up, and then potshot them as they chase you. Even when I still played at a walking pace, I defeated this trap. IMO, it serves no real purpose except to waste some ammo plinking Barons to death. My advice is to make this trap more dangerous, teleport some monsters into the escape routes, have the Barons appear in more threatening positions, basically scare the player and maybe even kill them. It even appears to be possible to run past monsters to the exit.

I also wasn’t in love with the lava crack in the room leading to the yellow key. The lava doesn’t appear anywhere else and it just ends at the wall. I suppose it serves to keep a few monsters on one side?

I remember this map having many violations of the floor texture rule in its early version, but all that’s been corrected.

Apart from the issues I mentioned, this is a nice, solid map.

Cheers, I will probably add a couple more monsters to the crate maze and changed the dynamic of the final area to hopefully make it more challenging

An addendum to my comments on E2M2 -- when I pistol-started it, I died 3 times at the beginning, testing out various approaches to fighting the first room and the side corridors. No other deaths in the map, so in that sense, it's front-loaded. Then again, given the nightmare meat-grinders to come, players might look back fondly on this breather. ;D

One more thing -- the Medikit on the Baron platform -- Sector 263 -- in the crate room is placed halfway inside the column and proved inaccessible. I tried several times to snag it, without success. I'm playing on Risen3D.

E2M3 – Kills – 100, Items – 93, Secret – 75. Time 25:32. End Health 200, Armor 200. Death Count - 1

This was a fun map with a lot of frantic fighting but surprisingly low in the death count. Nonetheless, it feels like a ramp-up in difficulty thanks to the SpiderQueen and the fact that it’s almost non-stop shooting and dodging.

The map starts with the theme of a central pyramid, which might bother some players who are allergic to pyramids. I was almost killed by the initial attacks here but spared myself by opening a saved game.

I took the corridor to the right and was immediately fighting for survival in some cleverly angled corridors with columns running down the middle and windowed rooms off to each side. You were never really safe here because the angled walls and windows meant that almost any move you made exposed you to fire from two or more directions. I took a lot of damage in some of the battles, and was startled as well when I encountered the Insta-Lift Baron. This was good, solid, tough Doom action.

You finally emerge into a large room with some nicely-done columns of SW2Garg top and bottom with Doorstop supports in the middle. Lots of Cacos and Sergeants to fight in here, or draw back into the angled corridor for potshotting fun. I had to fight this battle several times before I was happy with my stats. I had earlier found the secret Ribbiks-style switch to lower the Soulsphere, and when I saw the PG on a raised platform, the Blue Armor, and an alcove with a Blue Key, I knew trouble awaited, so I went to find the switch to lower the PG platform before approaching the key. This led into another angled corridor with windowed rooms and several more Cacos and Lost Souls. The Lost Soul use is quite good throughout these maps because I keep losing health to these pesky bastards.

I found the switch to lower the PG platform, grabbed the Blue Key and got a SpiderQueen for dessert. She killed me the first time. Second time I decided to use the Invisibility Sphere and torched her with the PG without taking any hits. Props to you, cannonball, because this is perhaps the first time an Invisibility Sphere actually helped me rather than making monster fire impossible to predict.

The Blue Key gives access to an outdoor area with a central rock structure surrounded by Imps, Spectres and Sergeants. There’s also a stairway to your right with several sniping Sergeants, and to your left is a stairway leading inside to some upper rooms with more snipers. I used typical ring-around-the-rose tactics for this area, which woke up some Cacos to make the fight more difficult. Much ammo was expended before I could concentrate on the sniping Sergeants who were the biggest threat. Not too tough a fight, though.

I went up the sniper stairway first, saw the Yellow Key atop the central structure and fought another Lost Soul. I then went to the opposite side to the upper rooms for some easy, relaxing fights. I missed the Invuln secret. I took the teleport to the Yellow Key and triggered a major, but easily defanged teleport trap. All I had to do was leap down and haul ass to the central pyramid, turn around, and spray rockets at the shitload of monsters chasing me. Once accomplished, all that was left was to go through the yellow door, kill a couple Barons, and leave.

Overall, this is a nicely-done map. I enjoyed the corridor fights the most, really good oldschool Doom action. I can criticize the giant teleport trap as being too easy, but perhaps you did it this way to give the player a hint of what was to come, when the mass attacks won’t be so easily escaped.

There was really nothing I disliked about the map, though I can imagine some players will say that much of it feels too horizontal, without enough areas where enemies can fire at you from above or below. For me, it’s a success.

SteveD said:

An addendum to my comments on E2M2 -- when I pistol-started it, I died 3 times at the beginning, testing out various approaches to fighting the first room and the side corridors. No other deaths in the map, so in that sense, it's front-loaded. Then again, given the nightmare meat-grinders to come, players might look back fondly on this breather. ;D

One more thing -- the Medikit on the Baron platform -- Sector 263 -- in the crate room is placed halfway inside the column and proved inaccessible. I tried several times to snag it, without success. I'm playing on Risen3D.

Ah that shall be fixed, can't have anything disappearing into the void :P

E2M4 – Kills – 99, Items – 96, Secret – 50. Time 21:33. End Health 168, Armor 83. Death Count - 6

Ah, a survivalist map. Run for your lives!

I’m glad I came into this with high health and armor, not to mention every weapon except the BFG, because it wasn’t long before I realized cannonball had taken the gloves off and was fixin’ to kick my ass. Which he did. Repeatedly. ;D

The map starts off with the player under fire immediately from a Baron and 2 Imps. Once you shoot back, 2 more Imps join the fray. Nothing too hectic, but it takes a fair amount of ammo to knock down that Baron, which is an important consideration in a mapset that’s rarely generous with ammuntion. But you ain’t seen nothing yet! Because, almost literally, that’s what you get for ammo as you descend stairs to your left and find yourself facing a bunch of Imps, sniping Sergeants, a ton of Spectres and Lost Souls, a fucking Caco, an even more fucking Baron and other assorted monsters, and all you’ve got down there is 16 shells, an ammo clip, a shotgun, and a secret PG if you can find it. I didn’t. So there I am wondering, “Where’s the ammo?” And, “Okay, nice joke, but where’s the ammo?” Then, as I run out of shells and bullets and start using rockets on Sergeants and plasma on Imps, I’m going, “Where’s the fucking ammo?” at roughly the time the Baron teleports in. Health was scarce, too. And there was another scary thing down here – Doom furniture! ;D

This is just the beginning of some serious pain as cannonball is stingy with every damn thing you can think of. Getting up to 20 shells is a major achievement, but they’ll disappear fast into the 15 Barons, 14 Cacos and 15 Lost Souls you’ll encounter on UV. Altogether, UV only features 157 monsters, but since cannonball basically gives you 2 rocks and a slingshot to fight them with, the going gets rough from time to time. :D

Places Where I Died; 1st attempt at the downstairs area to the left from the start; 2 times trying to get the PG from the Barons in Sector 222; once in the upper area at Sector 377, once on the platform at Sector 271, and once on the floor at Sector 371. This does not count the many near-deaths I averted by opening a saved game once I was in battle and going below 30% health. If not for that, my death count likely would have exceeded 10.

OK, enough whining. This was a very solid and quite difficult map. I cheated once to figure out the way into the outdoor Soulsphere area, by the handy method of pausing the game to look at the map in DB2. I was at only 68%, after all! My main complaint would be that I’m wanting to see some grander architecture and more detailing. Maybe some more eerie lighting, too. That’s not a big complaint, though. This is good oldschool design with an emphasis on gameplay. This map is designed to put a hurting on you, and in my case, it succeeded, big time. I didn’t notice any major errors or texture misalignments, because I was too busy fighting for my life. ;D

E2M5 – Kills – 99, Items – 100, Secret – 83. Time 54:06. End Health 66, Armor 49. Death Count - 20

The gloves came off in E2M4, and in E2M5, cannonball puts on the brass knuckles. If you want blood, you’ve got it in this map. I spilled at least 3 gallons of mine. I’m not sure I’ve ever been bitch-slapped this hard in an Ultimate Doom map not authored by everyone’s favorite axe-murderer, Chris Hansen. Cannonball combines some of the survivalist approach of E2M4 and mixes it with his slaughtermap side to produce a map that seems especially geared to beat the living shit out of me, personally. ;D I probably shouldn’t have played this map on UV, because I came close to rage-quitting, but looking at the Easy/Medium/Hard monster count of 287/339/380, this map is going to hurt you no matter how you approach it.

You start outside against minor opposition, but after battling your way up doubled staircases, you get a sense of the ginormous scale of the map, as you gaze into a central hub with four long walkways over toxic blood, a shack in the middle, and columns hosting 4 Imps apiece to each side of the walkways. This puppy is huge. Taking advantage of all that space is a full squadron of Cacos heading your way, along with Sergeants and zombieboys paying a social call, with Imps and assorted scum sniping from every direction. Dayum! It took awhile to win through all this before I was able to teleport into the next main section.

And what a nightmarish section it was! Perhaps the most survivalist-oriented area of the map, this one held back on health and ammo and threw masses of Barons, Cacos, Spectres and, yes, a SpiderQueen and Herr Cyb at you! Holy Flying Fuck was this hard!!!! I got KOed so many times in this section that the monsters called me “Old Canvasback.”

The trouble really got started when I laid eyes on the bigass room at Sector 618. Drawing on past experience, this room screamed “Boss Monsters On The Way!” And sure enough, the SpiderQueen soon appears. You then have to fight your way through upper galleries on each side of this cool-looking room. On one side, there’s a highly irritating Ivuln secret. I figured it out, but after 3 tries decided I wasn’t into the race, so if a mapper says, “Fuck you!” to me with a secret like this, I say “Fuck you!” right back and clip my way to the secret. I did try about 4 times to win the battle against the SpiderQueen and Cyb without the Invuln, and died every time, with no good prospects in my future except to hope for luck.

But my first deaths in this area came when I dropped down into the toxic blood river at Sector 721. A curving path leads you to a room with 2 rocket boxes, 2 Barons and a switch. It reminded me of the secret ammo stash guarded by an Arachnotron in Romero’s Doom2, Map15, one of the most jagoffy maps I’ve ever played. But this was just the beginning of the pain, because after killing the Barons and entering the room, walls opened behind me to reveal a shitload of Spectres. “Oh, you bastard!” I thought, cursing cannonball and his family all the way back to his crustiest Neanderthal ancestors. At least a Berserk was there so I could punch it out with the Specs, but after hitting the switch and running back the way I came, I was blasted to death by Sergeants at least 3 times.

Then I had to fight the other gallery, and the multiple-trap room I entered at Sector 802. The opening fights were bad enough, with Cacos, Lost Souls, and Sergeants, and me starved of ammo and health. I died at least 2 times fighting in this room before I realized I’d never survive unless I took a side stairway up to the next higher level, and fighting my way up that sucker was no picnic, blasting it out with Demons and a Caco at close quarters, with every critter from the main room climbing the stairs behind me. Pain, pain and more pain! And my reward at the end? A switch appears above the lava pit, and pressing that switch unleashes a bigass nasty trap with 4 Barons in your face and 6 Imps teleporting in. Oh, the agony! But that switch also lowers the BFG platform now guarded by the SpiderQueen.

And you ain’t finished yet, because although you found the red key earlier (the switch in the blood river area lowered the red key platform), the red skull bars guarding the outbound teleport do not respond to this key. I got killed a few times when I tried to escape that way, and grabbing the BFG called forth Herr Cyb. I was never able to provoke infighting between the Cyb and SpiderQueen in time to save my dumb ass. So I had to go through the red door on the upper gallery.

This door leads to a majorly frustrating fight – for me, that is – In a huge room with a lava floor and three platforms you have to cross to press a switch to raise a bridge to let you access the switch that lowers the red skull bars so you can leave this slaughterhouse. And getting across those platforms was a bitch! I was very low on ammo and faced with street gangs of Imps, a small bomber group of Cacos and Lost Souls, sniping Sergeants up high to the left, and Barons guarding the switch platform on the other side. There were deaths and near-deaths here. The thing that really made me curse cannonball and his entire family even farther back than the Neanderthals, indeed, all the way back to an Ardipithecus kadabba with poor hygiene, was the damned Spectres hidden off to the right. I raced to the first platform, which held a box of rockets, activating the Spectres, and when I turned around to run back, they formed a meat wall that caused me to drop into the lava three fucking times! Worth noting is that, for some reason, the lava in this room is non-toxic, but because my forward momentum was stopped, I ended up killed by Cacos and Lost Souls. If I play this map again, I'll take advantage of the safe lava to fight the Cacos from down there.

To make an overly-long story short, I eventually prevailed, but the lack of ammo and health in this area, and all the high-HP monsters, made the whole thing sloggy and all but spirit-killing. At this point I was thinking that cannonball made even Ribbiks look merciful by comparison. ;D

But none of this is the part that made me want to rage-quit. That desire came in the nukage room at Sector 491. This was a techbase section, and as an aside, allow me to note that the “theme” of the map seemed to be a desire to feature the theme of each episode somewhere in the map. Sector 491 is a room you drop into after grabbing a radsuit and exploring some nukage tunnels, and of course, once you drop into it, “the only way out is through.” Cannonball’s enemy mix and placement is positively demonic; 4 Cacos and 2 Spectres guard a rocket launcher and 2 rocket boxes. 2 Imps and 2 more Spectres join in to form a meat shield around the Cacos and advance towards you so quickly that it becomes impossible to use your rocket launcher. There’s also 2 Sergeants blasting away at you while guarding a switch which opens an escape door that’s got some Imps inside and leads to a lift with a Sergeant Surprise awaiting you at the top. Available health is limited to 2 Stimpacks. This battle’s a close-quarters motherfucker that slapped the smile off my face so quick it left a sonic boom. I’m not sure how many times I died here, but even more than the deaths were the re-fights to get my specs up. Again and again I fought this battle until I started screaming in rage. Yowza! This map is hard!!!!

My favorite part of the map was all the E2ish tech areas surrounding the central hub. These areas were a colossal bitch to fight, too, but at least grim determination can carry you to places where you actually find health and ammo. There is no truly easy or in any way relaxing section in this map. Stress and terror are the order of the day everywhere, but at least here you achieve rewards beyond simply surviving.

Even though I found the secret Computer Map, I failed to find all the secrets, including the trigger that opens the path to the secret exit. This means I have to pistol-start the secret map. Yay.

And let’s not forget cannonballs’s final act of cruelty. After you’ve killed all 3 million monsters and died 850,000 times, you open the exit door to find yourself facing a Cyb while 4 Barons teleport behind you. Well, what’s a few more deaths between friends? ;D All I’ll say is that I finally ran past the Cyb – didn’t have enough ammo to kill him, -- and left this veil of tears. And I only cheated once, to get that Invuln.

This is liable to be a polarizing map. This is not a steady ramp-up in difficulty from previous maps. In terms of both difficulty and size, it is a giant leap past all that came before, and I shudder to think what’s coming next. ;D Because this map is, as Capellan would say, “pitched above my skill and patience level,” I can’t say it was a really fun play, any more than rubbing a cheese grater against my face is “fun.” Just the same, I’m enormously impressed. This map has a bit of the grand architecture that previous maps lacked. It is also extremely well constructed. Everything I encountered worked. The techier areas were built in Romero E1 style, but with more and tougher monsters. Because this is my favorite playstyle, I like these sections the best and greatly admire the convoluted construction of the corridors.

One thing I’m trying to get across is that Map5 in a 9-map episode is an unfortunate place to discover that you’re out of your depth. Though E2M1 was pretty tough, the next 2 maps were comparatively easy. Difficulty ramped pretty high in E2M4, especially for pistol-starters I’m sure, but E2M5 is like getting nuked at a picnic. When you’ve already finished the 5th level on UV, you don’t really want to pistol-start the 6th on HMP or HNTR. As a result, I’m girding my loins and playing through on UV. BTW, have these maps been tested on HMP and HNTR?
Okay, so after all the butthurt bellyachin’, my final word on this map is that it’s totally badass!

Ah Steve you hipster, taking the hardest path first :P
I might make make the nukage pit in the e1 section a little more survivable perhaps. I guess my most evil move is to make the map non linear to aid people to shoot themselves in the foot haha. It's fair to say if another route was taken you might have not had so evil a time haha.
E2M4 isn't too hard in my opinion, if you are good at berserk punch I guess.

cannonball said:

I considered that I disadvantaged myself by coming into this continuous. I didn't grab the Berserk in the opening area because I had enough health and didn't need it. And then I went downstairs . . . ;D

BTW, I've become comfortable with punching Pinkies. It's when they have the support of other monsters that shoot things that I reach for my shotgun.

Well, having taken the hardest path first in E2M5, because I was intrigued by that red scrolling wall, I'll take my conquest of that hellole as a mark of distinction (blows on knuckles). :D

SteveD said:

I considered that I disadvantaged myself by coming into this continuous. I didn't grab the Berserk in the opening area because I had enough health and didn't need it. And then I went downstairs . . . ;D

BTW, I've become comfortable with punching Pinkies. It's when they have the support of other monsters that shoot things that I reach for my shotgun.

Well, having taken the hardest path first in E2M5, because I was intrigued by that red scrolling wall, I'll take my conquest of that hellole as a mark of distinction (blows on knuckles). :D

Haha yeah you can do that. I would expect some mad man to do that so they can lay claim to the bfg for the remainder of the level.
Yeah continuous players would probably see the beserk pack as a health item instead of the weapon of choice for the first half of the map :P
Still baron punching is very fun when you get it right

cannonball said:

Yeah, some maps will be easy to some and quite difficult to others. As a hint to anyone who plays this, especially for those that like to pistol start, if there is a berserk pack then there IS a reason it is there since ammo may be a bit strict.

This is one of the reasons I like the maps from this wad that have a berserk in it. It gives me more of a challenge by having to punch things for awhile until I can start to get more ammo. Thanks to this wad, I actually enjoy playing a game of punch out with some barons. Usually berserk packs tend to only be used for imp or pinky traps and never really used for anything else, which IMO is rather a waste.

Some maps will be a little low on the ammo but all of them are still quite beatable with 100% kills without finding any of the secrets. It may be harder but it does allow you to think of some strategies to get through some of the later maps. Of course making some strong use of monster infighting will make things much easier.

@cannonball, @Larzuk

OK, it's true that I haven't reached the stage of punching Barons. I don't even like punching Imps because I keep missing and get a fireball up my ass. ;D I'll have to take some time one of these days to practice. But keep in mind, I don't use the mouse.

I'm planning to do E2M6 and 7 tonight, plus three RoC maps. I'll be a busy boy. ;D

SteveD said:

@cannonball, @Larzuk

OK, it's true that I haven't reached the stage of punching Barons. I don't even like punching Imps because I keep missing and get a fireball up my ass. ;D I'll have to take some time one of these days to practice. But keep in mind, I don't use the mouse.

I'm planning to do E2M6 and 7 tonight, plus three RoC maps. I'll be a busy boy. ;D

Good luck :)
Don't worry if there is little response from me because from now till late tuesday I shall be away for job interviews hence no doomworld for me:P
Though if I wake up at 3 in the morning and have time, I might have a chuckle to myself with your reviews.

Just a quick note -- I was playing E2M6 the other night, but way too tired and suffering from Pollen Hell. I got killed a few times and didn't have the energy to finish, so I'm giving it another go tonight.

Quick note on E2M6 -- the SpiderQueen is borked on Risen3D, PRBoom and Eternity on my machine. She's too close to the columns and is immobile. I moved her and made a fixed WAD and now the SpiderQueen can move in both Risen3D and PRBoom. There was never any problem on GZDoom.

SteveD said:

Quick note on E2M6 -- the SpiderQueen is borked on Risen3D, PRBoom and Eternity on my machine. She's too close to the columns and is immobile. I moved her and made a fixed WAD and now the SpiderQueen can move in both Risen3D and PRBoom. There was never any problem on GZDoom.

Yeah this came into effect after applying co-op monster and moved her from the centre of the room. Fixed now in the later version still to be released. My bad, the bitch is even more useless than usual :P