Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Urban Space Cowboy

Doom IN GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOR

Discussion in another thread inspired me to dust off this quick hack I had lying around for...um...about a month now. Are you tired of custom palettes that have the same old boring softened greens and softened teal-ish blues? Have you ever wanted to play Doom IN GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOR? No?? Well, now you can! The custom PLAYPAL that I hacked together simulates the extra-bright reds, greens, and blues of vintage Technicolor film. At no extra charge I've included red pain/yellow item pickup/green radsuit palettes, modeled after the ones in SigVatr's pal_plus.wad, that are easier than usual to see in (see the big red screenshot for an example). Also a COLORMAP that works with the palette, of course!

You want screenshots? You got screenshots:

You want a download? You got a download!
technipal.zip - 13.8 Kb

Go on, try it out. You know you wanna!

Damn, that looks good.

May I also ask where you got your HUD? Looks like PrBoom's HUD but colored with your palette, along with zdoom's hud but with color changing numbers.

I really like this palette. It really reminds me of how printed photos of Doom screenshots looked in gaming magazines back in the day. Especially those two shots in Containment Area.

Yeah this is quite nice, though a bit of overkill for me I think since I already use Nvidia Control Panel to increase Digital Vibrance etc.

I'm using it at the moment with the Icarus wad.

I'd actually like to have several predefined palettes/color schemes to choose from within the ingame menu (e.g. ZDoom), as you have in some modern FPS like Serious Sam 3.

This palette would probably fit the description for the "Vivid" scheme (which is the most important one, anyway), and I think it's great that someone finally puts more color into the game instead of trying to find new ways to remove some. Will definitely check this out intensively! :)

NightFright said:

I'd actually like to have several predefined palettes/color schemes to choose from within the ingame menu (e.g. ZDoom), as you have in some modern FPS like Serious Sam 3.

Well, you got the several predefined palettes thing going on in SLADE 3 at least.

I wouldn't want to play the whole game like this, but this palette would be ideal if any ports supported level-by-level palette swapping. It would work really well for a map at sunset, or one with a red atmosphere/ a hot planet, or near a reactor core, or, I guess, in Hell itself.

Enjay said:

I wouldn't want to play the whole game like this, but this palette would be ideal if any ports supported level-by-level palette swapping. It would work really well for a map at sunset, or one with a red atmosphere/ a hot planet, or near a reactor core, or, I guess, in Hell itself.

Great, great idea.

Flynn Taggart said:

I really like this palette. It really reminds me of how printed photos of Doom screenshots looked in gaming magazines back in the day. Especially those two shots in Containment Area.

All we need now is a grain filter (not really).

I quite like this, it makes a change from the Simplicity palette getting regurgitated for the 10x8th time :P

Enjay said:
..if any ports supported level-by-level palette swapping.

I always thought this was a wonderful idea, but I've never seen it implemented. A short underwater map simply using a blue-shaded palette instead of colored sectors would like pretty damn sexy, imo.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

This is pretty great, just stopping by to say that

Enjay said:

Doomkid92 said:

I always thought this was a wonderful idea, but I've never seen it implemented. A short underwater map simply using a blue-shaded palette instead of colored sectors would like pretty damn sexy, imo.

SRB2 has this feature, actually. Pretty nifty.

Of course, SRB2 also isn't really Doom anymore, despite the common engine...

Nice experience, I like Palplus because I know what to expect (for LCD/fluidity emulation), but this is also interesting, like CRT/TV screen. For additional experience you can also play this with f.lux set to max night settings. ;-)