Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Did you know there is a whole fan made Quake movie?

I only heard about it by chance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seal_of_Nehahra

Its basically a 4 hour long movie that takes place before and during the events of Quake. And its simply awesome. I actually sat through the whole thing in a single sitting. It has humor, an interesting storyline, and a lot of character. I can't recommend it enough.

Did you like it? Assuming you watched the whole thing?

yay another quality quake thread

This has been around for quite a long time now. I personally find it incredibly boring.

Can the Doomworld overseers just make a Quake sub-forum and be done with it?

I've tried to play Nehahra, which is a playable sequel to The Seal of Nehahra, AFAIK. I gave up very quickly. The voice acting was so... I can't even describe it.

And when I found myself on an actual playable level, I didn't like it. That was the last straw.

I tried watching it on my old machine, but DarkPlaces was laggy, and the plot seemed really slow-going, so I gave up after 15 minutes or so. A long time ago (1998/9) there was another long movie called Devil's Covenant that was pretty good. But my favorite was a music video type thing with Busta Rhymes (no joke!)

The first 5 minutes is unwatchable crap. Someone let me know if it gets dramatically better. If so, I might give it some more time.

AndrewB said:

The first 5 minutes is unwatchable crap. Someone let me know if it gets dramatically better. If so, I might give it some more time.

It does get dramatically better. I actually agree that the beginning is rather boring, you need to keep it in mind that just like a real movie the plot takes a little while to get going. By the time the Ogre gets send through the teleporter the series of events start to truly unfold.

My only problem with the film is that the Quake marine appears to be a complete goofball for some reason. That guy with the wierd voice that the other characters make fun of and call annoying? That is suppose to be the Quake marine!

Other then that (and a few plot holes here and there) I enjoyed it a lot.

DoomUK said:

Can the Doomworld overseers just make a Quake sub-forum and be done with it?

I don't think that would be a bad idea actually. I mean why not, there is already a Doom 3 sub-forum. Why not have one for Quake?

hardcore_gamer said:

It does get dramatically better. I actually agree that the beginning is rather boring, you need to keep it in mind that just like a real movie the plot takes a little while to get going. By the time the Ogre gets send through the teleporter the series of events start to truly unfold.

I'm not saying that the first 5 minutes is uneventful (though it is). I'm saying that it's terrible. The editing, the writing, the acting, all of it is atrocious. And judging by what you're saying, none of that gets any better later on.

Ignoring the fact that it's a novelty Quake project, if this was a big budget movie with live actors, and had the same writing, acting, and editing, I doubt it would crack a 4/10 rating on IMDB. That's quite solidly into "unwatchable" territory.

So with that in mind, in what way is this "awesome"? Seems like either you have extremely poor taste in film in general, or you're just blinded by your fanboyism.

I remember this being awesome, but YouTube at the time only had the first hour of it up and I didn't get to see it all. Glad I can watch it again.

AndrewB said:

I'm not saying that the first 5 minutes is uneventful (though it is). I'm saying that it's terrible. The editing, the writing, the acting, all of it is atrocious. And judging by what you're saying, none of that gets any better later on.

Ignoring the fact that it's a novelty Quake project, if this was a big budget movie with live actors, and had the same writing, acting, and editing, I doubt it would crack a 4/10 rating on IMDB. That's quite solidly into "unwatchable" territory.

So with that in mind, in what way is this "awesome"? Seems like either you have extremely poor taste in film in general, or you're just blinded by your fanboyism.

I know, right?

Like last week, my niece gave me a picture she drew of me. She must have astigmatism or something because it looks nothing like me. I look like I was put together from simple shapes. She even got my hair wrong. Who does that? She has no sense of perspective, shading and color (never mind musculature and bone shape). She should just give up drawing forever. Ignoring the fact that a seven-year-old made it, if this were a professional portrait, with the same horrible proportions and technique, I'd ask for my money back.

I told her the picture was awful and she ran off crying. Better that I let her down now than she makes a real embarrassment out of herself later on in life.

I don't know how I feel about the fact that I got halfway through that story before I realized that you were joking.

God, what has the internet done to me? *sob*

I must say that I am genuinely surprised by the fact that you guys don't like it, considering how much love you have for Id Software games.

The only real problem I have with the movie is how some of the characters whine about how humanity is destroying the environment and how humans are evil bastards. It kind of reminds of that part in the Doom comic where the Doom marine starts to complain about something similar.

EDIT: Also, its probably worth noting that the second half of the movie is much better since it takes the plot about an hour and a half to really get going.

Khorus said:

yay another quality quake thread

This has been around for quite a long time now. I personally find it incredibly boring.

Heh, every single Quake thread I see recently is by Hardcore_Gamer, now that you mentioned. In fact, all his recent threads have to do with Quake.

hardcore_gamer said:

I must say that I am genuinely surprised by the fact that you guys don't like it, considering how much love you have for Id Software games.

Well, even id Software's work is not always perfect. I'm referring to Quake's base levels, of course.

hardcore_gamer said:

The hell does that have to do with anything.

4 hours sounds like a ridiculous running time, ffs that's longer than Heaven's Gate.

No, I'm not even going to bother trying to watch it.

A bunch of guys putting together a machinima is not going to have the depth or sense of aesthetic that a Hollywood film would, that's understandable. But that is no excuse for a complete inability to write compelling dialogue or provide quality voice acting. Making those elements work is not dependent on a budget. Additionally, there's no justification for a poorly executed fan film twice the length of most films in general. This boils down to a genuine lack of talent, not funds.

GoatLord said:

A bunch of guys putting together a machinima is not going to have the depth or sense of aesthetic that a Hollywood film would, that's understandable. But that is no excuse for a complete inability to write compelling dialogue or provide quality voice acting. Making those elements work is not dependent on a budget.

Then why do real film/tv makers invest a considerable amounts of money into hiring good voice actors and writers?

The writing, I can understand. But to claim that finding good voice actors isn't dependent on a budget is just dumb.

I personally did not mind the bad voice acting, and instead felt it just contributed to the charm of the film. Its like an enjoyable C movie filmed with the Quake engine. I do agree that 4 hours is a bit long, though.

Good writers and voice actors are everywhere. Talk to enough of your friends and you'll find some. This is the sort of thing where the people involved have the means, but not the talent, to put together something of substance. Think about the memorable shoestring budget Flash movies you've seen, versus similarly home brewed ones that were worthless. Obviously, I'm speaking subjectively here, but as someone who carefully analyzes cinema, I have a very scrutinizing eye and ear.

Focus groups are made up of the lowest common denominator. Also, good writers are everywhere, but it takes a great writer to consistently put out good material, otherwise you get a sea of mediocrity and a few decent bits.

Looks very shitty to me. Not even the dialogs are worth it.

This one I'm posting, while not purely quake based, is much better executed and has doom and strogg on it (bonus points for that).

]

I'm yet to see a good Quake 1 fan movie.

Good [...] voice actors are everywhere.

Highly debatable. It's one thing to sound good in public when talking to your friends, it's another to sit in front of a microphone, read and deliver lines as if you meant it.

nah, they truly are everywhere, but most of them have high ambitions and career plans, so they expect you to pay them for their grain of talent.

and you don't, because you're a goddamn amateur machinima "producer" and they go back to collecting unemployment checks.