Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VileSlay

i get sound effect but no music

whats the deal. I got windows me sb live! and doom95. I get the gunshot, the roars, etc. but no music. its been bugging me for awhile so I go to you guys for an answer.

doom95

That may be the problem.

windows me

Of course, this may also be the problem.
Get a source port of some kind. Anything other than Doom95.

ZDoom is your best bet.

Boom and boom-based sourceports suck for Windows users because of that whole allegro thing.

Weedster said:

ZDoom is Boom-based, isn't it?

No.

Ha.

EDGE Vavoom Jdoom Legacy PRBoom

Yes, ZDoom is his best bet, not his only one.

I hate to sound generic and all, but really ZDoom is your best bet.
BTW, when the new version of ZDoom coming out that has all the GL options turn on-able in the Options menu? I can hardly wait for that.
It's time I updated-I still have v. 1.22(!).

Yeah, EDGE. Simply the best Doom port around (although I play Legacy 10x more because I don't like to build GL nodes just to play some random /newstuff wad I may never play a second time). I volunteered my services to the EDGE team in helping to get Heretic support into the next release as well =)

Liam the Bard said:

Yeah, EDGE. Simply the best Doom port around (although I play Legacy 10x more because I don't like to build GL nodes just to play some random /newstuff wad I may never play a second time). I volunteered my services to the EDGE team in helping to get Heretic support into the next release as well =)

As soon as Heretic and Hexen support is added to EDGE (along with the proper DDF things), EDGE will be the best port.
/me drools at the thought of adding totally new classes

I have the same problem. It's not a software problem, but a DirectX/Hardware problem. If your soundcard is a Soundscape or equivelent (I have a SBPCI128) Doom ports (all of them) won't play sound and midi together. You'll probably see the error in the console "MMSYSTEM004 already in use." That's ok though, I always use MP3 wads instead. :P

Speaking of MP3 wads, I shrunk them down. One wad for Doom 1, one wad for Doom 2, less than 50 megs a piece. :) That'll make you 56K-ers happier. They're already on my webspace on doom2.net, but my page hasn't been updated yet. If you go to http://www.doom2.net/~elbryan/ you can see the files. Also on there and not on the site yet is the TNT MP3s contributed by bigbadgangsta. :) I hope to have the website updated soon, but personal problems over the last week haven't given me much free time. :(

elbryan42 said:

Also on there and not on the site yet is the TNT MP3s contributed by bigbadgangsta.

Yeah, that took me a while, but I finally did it!

Weedster said:

Doom95 = 73H 6H3Y

wtf does that mean. anyway, sourceports are the general consensus to get music. k, well I get no music with legacy. I'll try another one.

VileSlay said:

wtf does that mean. anyway, sourceports are the general consensus to get music. k, well I get no music with legacy. I'll try another one.

So you have an SB LIVE! ? Hmm, I seem to not have problems with music...maybe it is Win ME...

It may be a hardware incompatibility thing. I could've sworn I had Doom midi music back when I first got my PC. Something along the way might've screwed it up, since I can't fix it, no matter which Windows I use and no matter how many times I reinstall. I'm currently using Win98.

To use the MP3s you need ZDoom or JDoom, which just happen to be my faves for sourceports.

VileSlay said:

wtf does that mean.

Jesus H....I hope you were kidding...

TEH GHEY

There :P

My computer has WinME as well, and only MBF has problem's with music.
Allegro finds compatible devices, but music won't play.
The problem with DOS exe's are the soundFX that disappear after awhile.
All windows-based source ports play music as they should.

Normal Doom has the bug of only allowing soundcard IRQ's up to IRQ7, check your SBLive! isn't using IRQ10 etc