Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

Just wanted to give this a slight bump and mention that I'm back to working on my other map. Pictures for anyone that cares. I think I just hit the size limit as ZenNode fails every time I try to increase the outline of this one room, so I guess I'm getting close to the end. Shame though, since it's only about 70% done :/ Dunno where to make some cuts.

And on the topic of deathmatch, I don't play it so I have no reason to implement starts/weapons as it would be poorly placed probably. If someone else wanted to throw some down in the finalized versions of my map, I wouldn't have a problem with that. Co-op starts are already there.

There's a size limit? Jesus how big is this map? This might be sacrilege but if your map is truly ginormous have you considered splitting into 2 somehow? Would help bring up the map numbers ;)

Cool looking pics by the way, looking forward to seeing this.

^ Not that big actually. By size limit, I don't mean it's bigger than a 32k by 32k box, but since I overpower my maps with vertices I'm stuck within a rough 10k by 20k box. Most of the space belongs to scenic areas the player can't even walk around in which is a dumb habit of mine. Splitting it up might be a good idea, but I think I can still get this out within these constraints nonetheless... or am hoping to anyway.

We still need 6-7 maps after this :/ wonder if we'll miss the deadline then.

Looks like there are a lot of maps in progress. How many of those are still being actively worked on? If any of the authors have given up on them I might be able to lend a hand...

^ Paul D's Immaterium needs to be finished and is pretty neat. I can't dig up the post that had it right now.

Otherwise if you wanted, I could do a speedmap in a few days and hand it off to you when I'm done.

Paul D said:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39292814/immaterium2.wad

Sorry I haven't been really doing anything on Doomworld lately.

Hey thats a cool map, really threw me the way it starts at the end of your other map and revisits parts of it. Seems like its practically finished, you got much more to do to it?

dobugabumaru said:

Otherwise if you wanted, I could do a speedmap in a few days and hand it off to you when I'm done.

Nah thats ok, I just figured I might be able to help if someone's stuck on theirs or got bored with it. I'm working on a hell map for the d2ino project at the moment, if it ends up not being used then I can donate it to this one.

dobugabumaru said:We still need 6-7 maps after this :/ wonder if we'll miss the deadline then. [/B]

I could easily extend the deadline to August 31st. That I'll probably do as there are too many maps pending (including mine) and I don't want to cut the project off before its done to its best extent. I only came up with the deadline as others seemed to be getting tired of waiting for a release but I feel I can keep going indefinitely considering that my interest in the project has gone in waves depending on how much activity it's been receiving. As long as we keep getting submissions though.

mouldy said:Looks like there are a lot of maps in progress. How many of those are still being actively worked on? If any of the authors have given up on them I might be able to lend a hand...

River of Blood by Death Egg might be a good one. I was gonna work on it but I've been preoccupied by my other submission for this project.

kildeth said:

River of Blood by Death Egg might be a good one. I was gonna work on it but I've been preoccupied by my other submission for this project.

I'll have a look, is there a download for that somewhere?

@joe-ilya - I like it. I don't think it's quite as hellish as some of us were looking for but it's still a fit submission for the project, even if it could be improved in places with more lighting variation and texture alignment here and there. It could do with more ammo as well, in the quick iddqd run through I did just now I seemed to be reverting to fists when fighting some of the barons. Does it have a more formal name than 'Lell Hell' that we could use for final release?

kildeth said:

@joe-ilya - Does it have a more formal name than 'Lell Hell' that we could use for final release?

Name : Hello , Hell!

^ Played it. Holds up fine for the most part, focusing a lot on close-quarters combat with a really wild use of texture combinations, most of which I found really cool. Only two issues for me:

- Ammo was fine for the most part, but I wound up having to punch the Lost Souls from the PE. Putting in maybe one more box of bullets should clear that issue up.

- The red key switch is a touch confusing seeing that its actually not where the skull is. I had to look it up on the automap. My suggestion would be to change the entire back wall where the red skull texture is to be the switch.

The only other thing, which is through no real fault of your own, is that continuous players are going to breeze through this level, especially if we put it up towards the latter half where the hell stages ideally are. I guess it's not bad to have a break every now and then.

Maybe we could put 'Hello, Hell!' as one of the earlier maps and have a hellish theme weaving in and out and building towards the end with techbases scattered throughout? The map does feature the light brownish walls that are used in earlier maps such as 'Outpost' and 'Sewage Processing' so it wouldn't look out of place as an early level and might be an interesting taste of what's to come much later in the wad.

As an update, we now have 25 finished maps for this project, 26 if we include EvilNed's 'Roundtable', which was kinda in limbo between being a finished/half finished map.

As for the other unfinished maps...

27. SENSORIUM (Alwaysdoomed + kildeth)
I really hope to have this out by the end of this month. It was still undergoing renovations due to the up-scaling job I did on it last time I worked on it so it's still a bit of a mess but nearly there architecturally. Don't get me started on monster/item placement and gameplay though. It's a definite hell level so it would be a good inclusion to NOVA since we're a little sparse on those at the moment. I'm also aiming for high-ish difficulty to match of course.

28. RIVER OF BLOOD (Death Egg + mouldy)
Good to see someone's picked this one up. The incomplete Death Egg version had a lot of potential in my eyes being another possible hell level so it would have been sad to see it wasted and left out of the project.

29. IMMATERIUM (Paul D)
I'll have to take a look at this one. I thought it was really unfinished but apparently there's not much to go judging by reports from others. It'd be interesting to have a reprise to 'Teleportarium' in the final NOVA release, reminds me a bit of 'Wormhole' in TNT: Evilution only with two maps instead of one.

30. IMMUNDUM (dobugabumaru)
The screenshots for this look very promising. It's great to have another big level under construction towards the end of the project, shows we're not just putting in some fillers in at the last minute to get the wad out (which I'd hate to happen).

31. "CAVE MAP" (nub_hat)
I don't think this received any comments when nub_hat announced it and posted a quick screenshot. Too bad as it looks like it could be a cool level. Maybe a leadup map to 'Castle Bloodletting' as I recall that beginning with a few caves?

32. HUSH (MajorRawne)
I recall MajorRawne saying this was nearly finished and that once some errors were corrected it'd be ready for an alpha release. Trouble is that was two months ago now and I don't see another post about 'Hush' since. It'd be great to hear back about this before the end of the project as it was described in an intriguing way.

33. DEFY THEM HOPELESSLY (MajorRawne)
Previously entitled 'Atheist's Nil', I haven't heard/seen much of this either but I'd like to as there are a shortage of hell maps in this project and this could be another one of them judging by description. I guess we'll have to wait for 'Hush' to come out unless MajorRawne ends up finishing this one first.

34. LEADEN DELVE (dobugabumaru)
We'll probably have 32 maps by the time this is done considering 'Immundum' is still in completion stages but I'm including it in the list regardless as it was mentioned awhile back.

35. SACRAMENT OF WILDERNESS (Processingcontrol + kildeth)
Same with this one. I'd definitely resume work on this for NOVA II if that goes ahead but for now I'm probably done with mapmaking for this project once 'Sensorium' finds its way to release.

kildeth said:

29. IMMATERIUM (Paul D)
I'll have to take a look at this one. I thought it was really unfinished but apparently there's not much to go judging by reports from others. It'd be interesting to have a reprise to 'Teleportarium' in the final NOVA release, reminds me a bit of 'Wormhole' in TNT: Evilution only with two maps instead of one.

There's another leg of the level to make, but yes, it's about 65% or 70% done in terms of physical length/gameplay.

I need to add the next couple key areas, either based on the other map's western wing, or just misc. meat-hell landscapes, but they'll be a bit smaller than the Yellow key segment is.

After them, there will be a return to the revisited room and another wave, then that segment of wall that didn't come down will do so revealing teleporter.

I planned to have a return to the upper area as the finale, in which the outdoor area at the start is a "hell" version, and is very clearly hellish- full with red sky, gstone, brown/ashy landscape with lava and whatnot and a big ol horizon view, maybe a big ol fight with just hordes and hordes of guys out there, leading finally to the facade of a big ol cavern or temple type thing which leads in to the next level

now that I'm out of school and back from my fishing trip I will have some time for this, so expect either an update on my map, or more midis.

If I don't get to the mapping, maybe one of you fellas can take the above text concept bit and draw it out.

^ More activity depends on either new members contributing or those of us that have yet to release our finished maps. I'm still aiming to finish Immundum before the month ends; playtesting long levels is terribly painful.

Work is progressing on river of blood, though it is an insane labyrinth of a map and might take a while.

Here's a little before/after shot

^ Love the sphot+wood look, interested to see your take on a labyrinthine structure since most of your maps have been of a more open design.

EDIT: kildeth, I added difficulties to Iron Exuviae and changed the 5th torch for the normal exit. Download here. This should be final unless there's other problems. The only "broken" thing is that on -complevel 2 the red torches in the center of the big arena don't have enough room to show up, but it's not gameplay-breaking so I'm not pressed to fix it.

dobugabumaru said:

kildeth[/b], I added difficulties to Iron Exuviae and changed the 5th torch for the normal exit. Download here. This should be final unless there's other problems. The only "broken" thing is that on -complevel 2 the red torches in the center of the big arena don't have enough room to show up, but it's not gameplay-breaking so I'm not pressed to fix it.

Nice. I might take a closer look at everyone's maps in early July. Right now I'm busy trying to get Sensorium in working order, hopefully before the month ends. Looks like we might have up to 30 maps altogether in less than a few weeks time so things are going great.

I know it's not a big update, but at least for the status report I have to mention that I won't get my map in by then :/ I've been somewhat exhausted mapping out the hallways for it and am trying to think up creative ideas instead of making them straight paths to the next door, so it's still going to take a while. It's beatable but the long stretches of WIP areas mean I'd rather not post it yet.

Hope everyone else is doing well and we can get it done before July is through.

Status reportah!

I'm making a midi of Halford's "Silent Screams", it should be done within a couple weeks, I think it would be great to put in the wad at some point.

I've done about 4:30 of it, still have another ~ 3 minutes to write to my midi

well I have nothing to show still which is embarassing so I took all the cool parts of every level I've made so far trying to piece it together like a jigsaw puzzle
http://i.imgur.com/t5Rn7T5.png
it's a mess currently but it should turn into something playable soon as I am changing/adding/removing stuff as I see fit
not sure what direction to go with the graphics but you start out in the cave top right/middle and end in the city thing on the left
if anyone thinks they can do a cool overhaul of the graphics let me know
if anyone has suggestions/tips feel free to let me know

Still chewing my way through river of blood. Can kind of see from this how much left there is to do:

Just the plain looking bits on the right hand side. Think the gameplay might need looking at too.