Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did [Final Beta Released!]

lol slough of despair joke

I don't know if this is intentional but...

Map07 - it's possible - and possibly quite easy? - for the Spidermastermind to get stuck (playing in GZDoom - not tested with other ports) coming back into the central room, between the ceiling and the floor. See here:

durian said:Map07 - it's possible - and possibly quite easy? - for the Spidermastermind to get stuck

This happened to me as well.

Also, the megawad is truly superb so far! I bumped down the resolution and switched on the OPL synth for the occasion.

Okay, I'm done. Last stage? Clever. So I completed it on HMP without any real problems, looking forward to the final release so I can crank it up to UV and see how those secret levels play.

Great stuff, really enjoyed it. Aside from Borderlands maybe, but one weak map out of 30 isn't too bad at all.

40oz said:

However, I'm discouraged that the D2twid submissions page shows a large list of submissions with over 25 mappers, where half of them didn't land a single map in the final cut.

The sole reason why this is the case is that the final mapper list contains the the folks who were most active in the project and most willing to tweak and refine (or in some cases, unrefine) their maps to fit the project. The "buddy system" you describe was exactly what was in place, though less "partner" and more "team"; without such an iterative process, Abyss would've never come close to making it, for example.

(I also suppose I'm repeating a lot of what Marcaek said, which is pretty much right on the dot from what I've seen. Just ask him how many revisions Crushed Spirits went through. :P )

Also, the reason there are so many Tarnsman maps is that he's a freaking machine who never sleeps. I'm actually somewhat not exaggerating on that second part, either.

I would like to point out that I only started making maps after Alfonzo and Essel repeatedly asked me to and the project was essentially DEAD. I also intended to stop at a much lower number but we simply had far too many slots to fill (that's also how Essel's last 3 maps came about) and our attempts to fill those slots with other people's maps failed because either people didn't want to make revisions to their existing maps or just flat out stopped existing. Zodiac for example came back towards the end and we talked to him about fine-tuning some maps to get in and then he just up and disappeared.

Several people were really pulling for Zodiac to un-homagify the docks for quite a while, but for whatever reason he hasn't been in contact :/

Xaser said:

The "buddy system" you describe was exactly what was in place, though less "partner" and more "team"; without such an iterative process, Abyss would've never come close to making it, for example.

I have to say, I am so glad Abyss made it. The rare kind of level that I'm shouting all kinds of insults all the way through, cursing the mapper, cursing the team for letting it slide, raining down compound-swears and then... I complete the thing and I'm all "hey, that was pretty fun!".

Yeah, either videogames are weird or I am. Que sera.

Map 16 might benefit from some rebalancing. Since it is definitely one of less interesting maps, making it a bit tougher may make it little more exciting.

Right now there is way too much health available. Can't say too much about ammo though since I didn't play it from a pistol start... but I guess it could have had almost 3 times a much enemies and I still could have killed them all with the same amount of ammo that is available right now.

EDIT: just played it again from pistol start. Ammo and health placement is horrible. Throughout the map there are supplies just everywhere.

I was impressed about how easy was MAP27. Don't take me wrong, the map is great, I loved the atmosphere and all that, it's just it was surprisingly easy compared to all the previous levels.

I have made it to map16 now that I've actually had some time to play this wad. I've played each map from pistol start and play each map without finding the secrets first. Got to make sure there is enough ammo without secrets right? There are a lot of texture misalignments but I'm sure most were intentional and some of them probably not. I also won't mention the HOMs since they probably won't be fixed.

I haven't read every comment since the beta release so if any of these are repeats then just ignore it.

Map04: On the entering/exit screens for map04 it is called The Siltyards but it is called The Silyards on the map.

Map13: On the entering/exit screens for map13 it is called The Wharf but in the map itself it is called The Docks.

-Things 70 (on the outside of the map) and 83 are in some strange places and should probably be removed.

Map15: Sector 11 is marked as a secret but there is no way to get to it without noclip. Could this be a reference to the untriggerable secret that is is map15 of Doom 2?

Almost all the alignment is purposefully set to 0,0 as there is next to no alignment in Doom 2. And the unobtainable secret in map 15 was a total accident that I was unaware of. (Upon looking at the map, I'm 99% sure I was going to put a secret there and just forgot to after marking it secret.)

MAP22: Borderlands has a pit just outside of the exit room. The pit has a non-damaging lava floor and a non-functioning teleporting. I got stuck on my first play through and had to idclip out. Other wise I liked the level.

Forgive me if this is bug report is repeated I only did a quick scan/search of the topic.

Time for a break after making it to map22. So far I have found these issues.

Map16: The map currently has two computer area maps making it impossible to get 100% items, at least in prboom. I've never ran into an issue that had two maps before but I guess you can only pick up one?

Map17: Sector 45 won't lower after crossing the lindef trigger. It constantly makes the noise like it is moving but nothing happens. Currently making impossible to get 100% kill and items.

Larzuk said:

Time for a break after making it to map22. So far I have found these issues.

Map16: The map currently has two computer area maps making it impossible to get 100% items, at least in prboom. I've never ran into an issue that had two maps before but I guess you can only pick up one?

Map28 of Plutonia has the same issue. Vanilla ports will not allow you to pick up more than one computer map.

st.alfonzo said:

Incidentally, I think Monster Condo features two computer area maps.

You're right, there are two rooms that look identical with the same exact items. The only difference was that one had a blue key and the other had a soul sphere.

It's been a long time since I've actually played the official doom wads. So I guess I forgot about the computer map issue.

Sorry about the double post but I have managed to finish this wad on UV.

Map 22 is when I started to have some real trouble. I may have just been very unlucky but this map seems to be a little low on ammo when it comes to pistol start. Finding the secrets seems like a requirement in order to get ammo/weapons. I know this may not be a big deal for most but this will be punishing to those that don't worry about maxing secrets.

Map22: Is it really neccesary for sector 190 to be a secret when sector 187 is already one?
-Sectors 8, 25, 30, 55, and 83 don't cause any damage even though it is lava.
-As HackNeyed already said, the teleporter (sector 34) is nonfunctional and requires noclip to get out.

Map 22 is all kinds of borked. Please report any other critical issues you happen to find and just be glad you don't have the version where instead of the lava not damaging its a 30s wait close door that causes half of the map to collapse on itself into sky and renders the level almost unbeatable.

I've 3x100%ed level 12 now, on to 13. Nothing to report, really. Those levels are pretty amazing and fun as hell to play.

I don't think I can like sit down for a few hours on the game. I'm in the middle of session, and also have a bachelor paper to write (already pretty late with it due to my procrastination).

EDIT: On the other hand, I do have one question. Could someone explain why The Shipyards are set upon brown, damaging water while The Docks have blue, nondamaging water? I find this to be a slight inconsistency, especially since the blood in Dead Sea doesn't do damage when walked on either. I don't think the water should be damaging in this level, it's also not like you spend much time in it.

For the same reason that many levels in stock DOOM2 have the RROCK crackle rocks damage and many others don't.

Brown sludge always damages in Doom 2, so by default it does in The Shipyards. It's a short run through damagefloor and there's plenty of health to go around :)

Non-damaging blood in Dead Sea was a creative decision based on the significant amount of time spent exploring around flooded areas. Non-damaging blood wasn't done in the IWAD (aside from one single sector in The Spirit World :)), but several other flats like the red rocky floors were only sometimes damaging, so given that the absence of damaging blood is integral to how Dead Sea plays, that was my excuse.

Glad you're having fun with D2TWID overall!

esselfortium said:

Glad you're having fun with D2TWID overall!

Oh boy, am I! I'll keep playing at my own pace, but for don't count on me for technical issues that much. I'm sadly not that familiar with the level editor, so I'll just post stuff in the vein of what I've posted already - gameplay stuff and easily noticeable bugs.

Sorry for double posting, but there's a question: I'm wondering whether one secret in level 15: The Causeway is even obtainable. I'm talking about the one which registers when you find yourself on the left outer ledge of the "secret building", the one where you can open the secret exit passage. The problem is, there seems to be no teleporter to take you on that ledge anywhere. Could someone let me know how to solve this secret?

You can't get it. I tagged it secret when I first did the map layout because I was going to put a secret there, and then I promptly forgot it even existed until like a week ago when someone else pointed it out.

Tarnsman said:

You can't get it. I tagged it secret when I first did the map layout because I was going to put a secret there, and then I promptly forgot it even existed until like a week ago when someone else pointed it out.

Thought so. Soo, will it be staying? It's kinda annoying not to be able to get a round 3x100% on any given level, but I suppose such a blunder could be left in for authenticity.

i'm so looking forward to playing this. i realize the beta that was posted here earlier is outdated by now, but it was fun to play, more than any other recent project. for some reason, doom2's abstract nature fascinated me when i played the game for the first time, and this tribute manages to capture its style very well.

in map08 i've got a "too many plates" bug that crushed the map itself, also i found a lots of shortest textures (like using BROWNPIP in the brown nukage maze)....