Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom 64 for Doom II

That's rather nice. I'd like to see a blue/purple version for those of us replicating maps with those colors. Eye of the storm and Terror core.

Okay so I got carried away during this conversion process and decided to lump in an extra bit as seen in that old JDoom conversion, "The Absolution". While it only serves as a secret area and isn't a necessity in order to reach the exit, if the project so requires I can easily remove it:

Other than this, I'd say the map's pretty much finished. Works perfectly well in Doom2.exe, and has a vague sense of 'The Courtyard' about it. Although that might be because it's for the MAP27 slot and hearing 'D_ROMER2' over and over again probably influenced my choices when it came to texturing.

Doom64Marine said:

I'd like to see a blue/purple version for those of us replicating maps with those colors.

I'm not sure about purple (because of the Doom palette), but I'll try some different combinations.

Here you go, some Burnt Offerings for everyone.

Mapslot is MAP27, and the WAD includes a CWILV26 lump for shits and giggles. I'm guilty of being a bit creative in places (see above for one example), but that's just to make use of otherwise redundant objects/switches or triggers that Doom2.exe ignores.

Edit:
Does this project even have an 'official' title yet? Or are we sticking with "Doom 64 for Doom II"?

Edit again:
Now that I've got Burnt Offerings out of the way, I'll have some fun breaking Playground. Got a couple of ideas on how to make this one work.

Damn it Baron, how did I know you'd take one of the Fun maps?

I'm curious what you'll come up with. A full level ending with the arena? The arena expanded? I just hope you'll keep the lighting scheme, it was awesome fighting shadowy figures with extreme firepower.

Yeah I think it'd be great to think of a different title. I'd go with Doom: The Absolution, but that's what the other Doom 64 TC went with.

What about "The Resurrection" based the the fact that the demons were resurrected by the mother demon in Doom 64.

Avoozl said:

What about "The Resurrection" based the the fact that the demons were resurrected by the mother demon in Doom 64.

As long as it doesn't turn out to be as shitty as Alien: Resurrection, I'm fine with that.

Also, for anyone too lazy to test the WAD I posted:

Ragnor said:

Damn it Baron, how did I know you'd take one of the Fun maps?

Because it's my reward after taking on a regular map that spat macros around like they were going out of fashion.

Playground is nearly converted.

Because I am greedy, I'll go ahead and convert Cat And Mouse after too. Already done something similar in the past, so that'll be an easy one to modify.

Yeah, Burnt Offerings looks pretty damn sweet.

This looks to be yet another project added to the 'Vanilla shit Jay wants to play' list. Awesome. :)

BaronOfStuff said:

Playground is nearly converted.

Because I am greedy, I'll go ahead and convert Cat And Mouse after too. Already done something similar in the past, so that'll be an easy one to modify.

Where do you think Playground and Hardcore should be placed?

Here's Playground, now all I need to do is add aesthetic shit and nonsense to liven the place up a bit.

Go play, have fun, don't get killed too often. I've switched things around a bit, but it shouldn't feel too different overall. Somewhat concerned about visibility at the moment, but for MAP25 I think that should be a fair way to add some difficulty to an otherwise short and straightforward map. It's by no means impossible at all.

Ragnor said:

Where do you think Playground and Hardcore should be placed?

At the moment I think the current intended slots are fine, but things can be moved around to keep a fair difficulty curve once everything's ready to play.

That's a cool sky Da Werecat :). The red one looks like it would fit the best for the later levels, but the yellow/orange bits seems to stick out just a bit too much.

Any chance you can make the sky 256x1024 so it doesn't tile oddly in ports with mouselook?

...aaaaaand here's Cat And Mouse, ready for nonsense complaints and bullshit.

Visibility is not an issue here, but I have messed around with the difficulty flags and strayed somewhat from the original (but for a good reason). Also took a page from The Absolution's book regarding the exit area, but thanks to the vanilla engine's method of "NO CUSTOM SCRIPTS FOR YOU" I added an obvious method for how to access it.

So as usual... have fun, don't fuck up, tell me if something doesn't quite seem as it should.

Not sure which map I'll piss about with next, but it's certainly a fun experience getting them to behave in a similar fashion to their original counterparts.

Edit:
Saying that, I wouldn't mind having a stab at Hardcore while I'm on a roll, and I'll think of some other map while I'm turning that into a 1994 experience. Oh what a greedy son of a bitch I am.

BaronOfStuff said:

At the moment I think the current intended slots are fine, but things can be moved around to keep a fair difficulty curve once everything's ready to play.

Those two are pretty much the only things stopping E2 and E3 maplists from being set. I just KNEW you'd take up Hardcore right after :p If theres a small gimmicky map, bland map or special map, your pretty much on the scene. Hardcore is the D64 map in most dire need of a change, hope you'll make it much more than a bunch of metal staircases

Ragnor said:

I just KNEW you'd take up Hardcore right after :p If theres a small gimmicky map, bland map or special map, your pretty much on the scene. Hardcore is the D64 map in most dire need of a change, hope you'll make it much more than a bunch of metal staircases

Well they're short and don't result in constantly having to check back and forth for special triggers and all that bollocks. The macro stuff does get a tad annoying to work out, although it's satisfying to get something like a vanilla equivalent working in the end.

As for Hardcore, the biggest challenge is going to be retexturing it to not look like a greyscale box of shit. I've already figured out how to semi-replicate the map behaviour (kneel before the power of FLOOR LOWER TO LOWEST), now it's just a case of making it look presentable and not like the "lol look at this scripting" gimmick it was in Doom 64.

Well that was quick.

Already done with Hardcore. The delays need some testing though, I'm not sure if they're too long in duration right now (exit in particular might need tweaking), but there's more than enough going on throughout to keep players occupied with fighting the Hellspawn off for most of the time they require.

Screens:

...love that vanilla resolution.

Posting anything else about the map would be spoilers, so that's your lot.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Here's some new screenshots from my version of In the Void:

suspended walkways:

bridge to artifact room:

artifact area:

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Here's my port of In the Void: download

I may do Unholy Temple next.

I'll start on The Spiral soon, in an attempt to make something reasonably challenging out of it.

Edit:
Holy Christ, visplane explosions!

Well here you go (already), have some fun on The Spiral.

Perfectly possible on UV from a Pistol Start, and I honestly think it's a fitting difficulty.

Edit:
All-consuming greed; I'll take a look at converting Blood Keep too now.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Started on Unholy Temple last night, I think I've got the theme I want to do for it

Patch93 said:

Wow, already five maps left to go. I can't wait till this is finished. As much as I love Doom 64, I'd love to play it in the classic vanilla style. :D

I think you'll find it's six maps.

Or it was, until I decided that I'd also claim Outpost Omega (because someone had to sooner or later). Puzzle be damned, that one's going to be easy to convert.