Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cell

Doomep47: WIP classic Ultimate Doom MegaWAD

Spoiler

Once upon a time, a 12-year old boy decided to use fantasy and "create" his own Doom maps. However, his abilities were quite limited in that time (March-June, 2005), therefore he grabbed a checked spiral-bound notebook and drew no less than 36 "level plans" during the last three moths of his fifth grade in elementary school. However, he wasn't aware of Ultimate Doom existing, as he only had Registered Doom with its 27 maps in; he entitled all his levels by cut-and-scissored-together fantasy names ("Bistrotown", "Toxin Bingo", "Enemy Erebus", etc.) and tagged them from E4M1 to E7M9.

Four years passed by when he once more come across this exercise book. It was actually on purpose, since he had just downloaded CodeImp's genius invention and wanted to try it out. Started from E4M1, which he finished quite fast. But then, he did the biggest stupidity ever, since he wasn't aware of ports either, and modified Ultimate Doom (included in a recently bought Doom95), which ended up in the deletion of the original E4M1
instead which he have recently mapped Ascent from Hades. But his enthusiasm hadn't dropped and soon, he finished another 3 maps plus started the fifth as well, when actually the summer vacation ended with dreadful consequences: he started mapping for Duke Nukem 3D instead!!

The halt was broken in May 2012 when I started renovating the old maps and so, getting others started, then finished as well.

I've spoilered all the unnecessary information concerning Doomep47.

[EDIT]And some other type of BS aswell.

Spoiler

The mapset was once meant to be my own episodical continuation to the Registered Doom series, not knowing about either the impossibility of having it added as a part, or Ultimate Doom's existence itself, the one which had 4 episodes instead of 3. Concerning these years later, I've changed the conception, but not the title (which stands for "Doom's episodes from four to seven"), and it goes by its own concept by now:

A (nearly) utterly classical Ultimate Doom mapset which is a sort of replica of the original IWAD's levels.

DISCLAIMER: Comparison with the Doom The Way id Did project is unnecessary meaningless, since that was a CP, while Doomep47 is a "one-madman megawad" and is not intended to be any other way.

Current status:

Spoiler

E1M1: done
E1M2: done
E1M4: 50% done
E1M7: done
E2M2: done (formerly E4M1)
E2M3: 90% done
E2M4: 50% done
E2M5: done (formerly E4M3)
E2M6: 99% done - in constant suspension since it doesn't play well yet (formerly E4M4)
E2M7: 5% done, near 6-year suspension (formerly E4M5)
E2M9: 25% done
E3M5: 25% done
E4M3: 90% done
E4M5: 25% done
E4M7: done (formerly E3M7)
E4M8: 90% done
E4M9: done (formerly E4M2)
E5M9: 75% done
E6M1: 90% done
E6M4: 25% done
E6M5: 90% done
E6M6: 10% done

Edited by Cell

Progress made up in the recent 5 months:

[EDIT]Leave it for the folks, man. Don't decide whether they MUST read this or not.

Spoiler

- E4M1 was moved to the slot E2M2 and fully renovated
- E4M2 was moved to the slot E4M9 and fully renovated
- E4M3 was moved to the slot E2M5; almost fully renovated, but was added a quite obscure exit to the secret level which I hadn't done completely yet.
- E4M4 was moved to the slot E2M6 and is waiting for renoval
- E4M5 was moved to the slot E2M7 and is waiting for being completely built
- E6M2 E1M7 is almost built
- E6M7 E3M7 was moved to the slot E4M7 due to being critically hard for any E3 slots and is done.

If you want screens of E1M7, E2M2, E2M5 or E4M9, post me feedback.

Edited by Cell

I liked the move of E4M3 to E2M5, but E4M4 to E2M6? Really? Why did you think it was a good idea?

Hope mah fedback was good enough and I'll get some screen0rz!

Memfis said:

(...) but E4M4 to E2M6? Really? Why did you think it was a good idea?

[EDIT]You didn't get a freakin' JOKE, bud. Stop bullshitting. [Present Cell ---> Past Cell]

Spoiler

E4M4 was an overexaggerated and rather ugly attempt of mine, that's why I'm thinking of removing all those stupid light secrets, including the BFG and the backdoor darkness as well.

E4M3's move to E2M5 has a spiritual inner sense of mine in. If you remember that beta, nasty E4M3 (in whose central was a room resembling the mask of Darth Vader), you could recognize many common features with E2M4. My opinion back then when I was playing Doom E2 was precisely that E2M4 would better have deserved to have the secret exit rather than E2M5. So that's why I decided to make a creepy E2M5 and all those stuff leading to the secret exit.

Edited by Cell

Lol, I was just joking since you asked for feedback but didn't post anything that people could comment on. So there is a beta? Where I can find it?

Well, once I've posted it in here, but fucking MediaFire deleted it for no reason.

Actually, I'm bound to finish E1M7 first and then post a link.

Also, I do have a screen of E1M7, but those of E4M7 were also removed by fucking Mediafire.

So, you asked for it and here it is, Doomep47.wad!
[EDIT]It's outdated - view first post.

Spoiler

Ready maps: E2M2, E2M5, E4M7, E4M9.
Progressing maps: E1M7 (still lacking monsters and barrels), E2M6 (the same as before), E2M7 (detto), E2M9 (a map which had already been started; we'll see how you'll make it for from E2M5!).

Edited by Cell

Doomep47's second release, fixed some minor issues and finished E1M7.

[EDIT]No-one will ever care whether you're going to poop next or start working on yo' maps, dude.

Spoiler

Next, I'm going to renovate E2M6, build E2M7 and finish E2M9.

Edited by Cell

Just tried E1M7, E2M2, E2M5 and E4M9. E1M7 was great, with a nice outdoor area. The rest I thought was very cramped and mazey, with confusing level progression (especially in E2M5 and E4M9, these maps really annoyed me, I wanted to exit as soon as possible). I think you should make more outdoor areas or simply big areas. E2M5 sits in my memory as one huge maze, without any highlights (memorable, unique areas). This is not good.

Demos of my playthrough.

EDIT: Another problem with this wad is that most maps feel to me like a bunch of random rooms connected by doors and teleporters rather than... uh, a coherent system? (not sure how to explain...) This is why you need large areas: they serve as some sort of central space that the rest of the map revolves around. They make the whole thing feel less random. Windows and other connections between areas also help a lot. Doors, on the other hand, can easily break the flow when there is too many of them.
Hope this helps somehow.

[EDIT]Seriously, was this the same person as myself?

Spoiler

You know, the aim of these maps is not actually to be "perfect". According to your demos, they were at least playable (I remember purist saying that my present maps have annoying no-space fights), and I would also emphasise that these maps were created when I was only 12, so you now have the chance to travel back in time and tell me.

I was still willing to make the best out of these attempts - see those windows and open ceilings in E2M5 and E4M9 - but the rest of them is ought to be so claustrophobic, because these are (were) intended to be forts. They being so random... that... see the end of the previous paragraph.

So, if you still have contras, try to imagine this as "Loki1999 realised in a more bearable manner".

Edited by Cell

I found all the maps perfectly playable and enjoyably so. Top marks must go however to E1M7, that's a cut above the others, with an ingenious and original layout, challenging enemy placement and interesting secrets. If you could make a whole megawad with maps of that standard you'd have a classic in the making.

Thanks, aldiboronti!
[EDIT]Umm, this pile of explaining literally everything will raise your interest. JK, course it won't.

Spoiler

I've seriously thought, however, that E1M7 is going to be a con because of those Barons, especially the one which appears on the hardest difficulty only. The before-planned "storyline" is actually even more anticipating than 2002ADO: 1 Baron on Hard in E1M5, 1 on Medium and 2 on Hard in E1M6, 1 on Easy, 2 on Medium and 3 on Hard in E1M7, 2 on Easy, 3 on Medium and 5 on Hard in E1M8.

I guess it's time I've named the freshly renovated maps.
E1M7: Electri City
E2M2: Ignition Facility
E2M5: Tortural Chambers
E4M7: Forsaken Resort
E4M9: Disguised Erebus Fort

Also, Memfis, I guess E2M2 and E2M5 must have annoyed you (and also tons of people who have played this wad) because of them being so linear. I see your point, but we'll see how an early adolescent's "map design" turns out to be corrigated by his 20-year old self.

Edited by Cell

Some further progress was made in the recent days.

[EDIT]In fact, no one cares that badly.

Spoiler

- Almost finished E1M1: "Initial Instalment Impact". This map seems to be cool, but if homages for the original "Hangar" are seriously disliked, it is rather a con.
- E2M3: "Radiation Realm" is in a near-finished state, but either it is too huge, or I am too lazy to fill it in with items. I'm no good example for mappers!
- E2M4: "Abyss of Corpses" is about 40-50% done. Sadly, once a system refresh deleted all my latest changes and I felt too down in the dumps to recorrect it. Anyways, it goes on slowly, yet confidently.
- E2M7: "Covert Fort", sadly, hasn't changed since September 2009. I seriously don't know why I refrain from doing this map like a haunt.
- E2M9: "Aquaduct System" now does have its plans well done in mind! I was seriously thinking of what it should've been in July 2009 that I dreamt of, and now I know that it can be done, that makes me so enthusiastic.
- E3M5: "Chapel of Confession"'s development was cut short due to a strong nervous breakdown caused by a sudden crash of my laptop. The containment wasn't harmed like E2M4's, but it was way too annoying even so.
- The rest of the levels are now (and then) being updated according to some remarks that renders them unplayable or unenjoyable.

Edited by Cell

E1M1 is finished!

dtk2kucqxubaculfg.jpg
Starting room.
g9ad99v54utqz70fg.jpg
This is a bit homage-y.
b4j35lz9qg2uzbgfg.jpg
A control room in a strange style
k5a4utllblp9t6ffg.jpg
It's the room which halted the map development for 9 months. Seriously, I didn't have any ideas how to get it started.
1r27io0g6s03971fg.jpg
Yet another Hangar homage. Kept different from the origs, however.
cz4ldhj3ssukx6jfg.jpg
Exit room.

[EDIT]Same level of ridicule as always.

Spoiler

Despite the obvious homages, this level still plays different from Hangar. Linearity breaks up by having the exit door locked by a distant switch (seen on the left side of shot #4). There are resemblances and differences which make the level static and dynamic at the same time.

Started E1M2, basing strongly (at least the first room does) on my very-first attempt for making a Doom level back in June 2009. E1M6 will be similarly basing on the second attempt of mine.

Doomep47 ain't dead!

Edited by Cell

Lovely shots, please tell me this is vanilla (or at least, limit-removing). Please. :)

Jayextee said:

Lovely shots, please tell me this is vanilla (or at least, limit-removing). Please. :)

Intended to be vanilla, but
[EDIT]here's because it

Spoiler

there are several levels (E2M4, E2M9, E4M5, E4M7) which have looks that

may cause visplane overflows.

Edited by Cell

Katamori said:

Perfect use of homages! You amazed me!

Thanks man! :)
For more of the screens:
4saw7d1it774znpfg.jpg
This is the starting view of E1M2. The starting room
[EDIT]... is, as its description implies, a FRIGGIN' STARTING ROOM.

Spoiler

, which bases on my very-first attempt for mapping, is quite minimalist, doesn't really bring any E1 memories back and is an interlock as will be revealed when the map is finally done and playable.

pyaefp68klig2kpfg.jpg
From another perspective.
[EDIT]Yeah, just tell 'em dude. Don't even bother no one is interested.

Spoiler

The switch (actually opening the door right in front of starting view) is able to deceive first-players because of the stupid light's sign above. Yeah, the light, the exit door straight in the first room (can only be opened remotedly just like the one in E1M1) and having tan textures all over were the characteristics of my very-first room in mapping. There the spot STARTAN3 is an ambush, basing on my very-first secret room-making attempt, which contained STARBR2 (here, in E1, not available texture, so I won't use it, better try some COMPUTE3 instead). The only innovation seen now is the PLANET1 panel with the lights and shotgun.

Of course, will decorate better!

[EDIT]Blah blah, I just couldn't be full enough of myself and my splendid plans.

Spoiler

The Doomep47 concept is partially given up since a longer period of time, given that 1) integrating 3 more episodes in would be almost impossible in vanilla limits 2) over 27 levels contain teleporters, rendering a proper E1 completely impossible to make. So, there will be some changes in plans:
- E1M2 and E1M6 are being / will be made basing on my first and second mapping attempts (I clearly remember both, no problem).
- E1M3 and E1M5 will be, E2M4, E2M9 and partially E2M3 are already (being) made from scratch, with minor (major for E1M1 and E2M3) homages to their originals and others, but, of course, playing completely differently. E2M4 and E1M5 base on imagination, while E2M9 does on a dream I had in July 2009.
- The rest of the maps will have been made after sketches, with only minor changes allowed (one proved the map E4M7 succeeded better than its previous plan). The ready (but still in need of some polishing up) maps are namely E1M7, E2M2, E2M5, E2M6, E4M7 and E4M9, while E3M5 is getting on slowly and E2M7 needs a complete update.

That was a parable!

Edited by Cell

[EDIT]Unnecessary information temporarily hidden from the bare eyes.

Spoiler

I couldn't get escalated with E1M2 very well, I got into a serious complication with some light corridors. Anyways(...)

I grabbed the maps which were given a harsh criticism beforehead and made them look and - probably - play better. Special attention to E2M2, E2M5 and E2M9, though I modified E1M7, E2M3 and E4M7 as well a bit (minor bugs and other issues were still present in the last-before-latest version of Doomep47). So, here it is, the next step to the perfection:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z851p6zdrzry3g8/Doomep47.wad

, but still needs about a thousand more.

[EDIT]Open almighty envelope below thy unbiased bullshit:

Spoiler

This time, if anyone downloads and plays, I'd like to hear (read) some more criticism as feedback.
- The opinion over whether E2M2, E2M5 and E4M9 were changed for their advantage or disadvantage;
- Still waiting for an "outsider's" opinion about E4M7;
- Tell me about E1M1, whether it is excessively homagey or not.
- Waiting for an opinion about the non-finished maps as well...
. E2M3 - how the monsterless level looks, whether it is too homagey, is one or more of the traps unsurvivable/undodgeable, etc.
. E1M2 - whether it is homagey as well, or exceedingly overdone related to how a second level should play.
. E2M4, E2M9, E3M5, E4M5 - what has been done so far.
- Don't watch E2M6, neither E2M7. The E2M6 level's concept (drawn beforeheadly "E4M4" with a really stupid name) is so miserable that it needs a serious doing-over, particularly because it is even flatter than the original E2M3. E2M7 is just as thrown-away as it is since September 2009. I'm seriously starting to think that I'll never be doing any positive progress with this quite poorly set-up level (though same would go for E2M3, E2M4, E2M9 and E3M5 as well...).

Edited by Cell

vlhbdrwwokfh6b3fg.jpg

Here's a picture of the only detailed-enough room from the upcoming map E6M1.
[EDIT]There might be - I say, just might be - a chance that this one is actually useful and funny.

Spoiler

Since I decided to also map from scratch to this WAD, there'll be no doubt I'm going to actually have 6 or 7 episodes in total, and that's even more outrageous than I've planned before. Keep an eye out, Doomep47 still ain't dead despite the fact that I'm progressing like lightning - strike here, strike there...

Edited by Cell

Very solid, fantastically authentic mapset. It' pretty interesting that every maps has its own (hi)story.

I mean, I've already written here before, but hey, a bunch of new maps were added since plus I had mch much more time to try and therefore, to judge properly.

Katamori said:

I mean, I've already written here before, but hey, a bunch of new maps were added since plus I had mch much more time to try and therefore, to judge properly.

Good you mention. I'm not fully convinced I'll be making it,
[EDIT]... and now I'm not convinced at all.

Spoiler

but by mid-spring, the first episode will be announced to get done.

Edited by Cell

...Unkept promises will go on for time unlimited, up until they render me completely incredulous...

But not this time, because after 4 years, E1M2 is finished in the newest update of Doomep47!

This is the good news. The bad news is, that, perhaps it ain't yet. All I did was scattering things and enemies around the map randomly, then playtesting it and taking down a peg or two if came accross ammunition overabundance.

Spoiler

And I broke the Episode 1's textures law already. To dispose of lamps (FLAT2) having themselves cut in half, used FLAT19 a couple of times. FLAT19 which is defined in TEXTURE2.

I shall burn thy almighty flames of bonfire.