Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capellan

100 lines (final link now active)

^ Nice. Music stopped right as I reached the exit, too, which felt pretty cool, heh.

^^ horrendous gameplay aside, that map has some serious blockmap issues. plenty of enemies that don't 'see' you, plenty of walls you can clip through. also last room brought glboom+ -cl2 to a crawl. What was this tested with? o.O

It was tested with prboom+ cl2.

Edit: Sorry, looks like I forgot to config DB2 to test with complevel 2, so it was tested with default complevel. So yeah, there is problems with cl2, I see, but cl9 works fine.

@ traversd: See for yourself, I don't mind shooting weaker weapons as long as I'm not forced to do it for too long.

@ Katamori: your map crashes prb+, so I played it in zdoom to take a look. Please fix compat issues.

More FDAs.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/100lines_FDAs2.zip
Contains demos for maps by Memfis, Ribbiks and Archi. The last one is failed, I was pretty close but couldn't evade spraying rockets while backtracking. Never was Touhou Project fan, heh. And of course Ribbiks' map has very tight ammo balance, I guess I was deviating from the intended strategies once again.

Ahh ok, ignore my previous post then Archi, it works perfectly in cl9. That's interesting, I didn't know that kind of stuff was affected by complevel as well.

Demonologist said:

And of course Ribbiks' map has very tight ammo balance, I guess I was deviating from the intended strategies once again.

not sure if serious or subtle jab at a previous comment of mine :p

I'm still coming to grips with the notion that forcing a player to handle encounters a specific way through ammo restrictions probably isn't fun, give me enough time and I'm sure it'll sink it :)

You all guys who already submitted a map, I admire you how quickly you can make functional maps. I'm fiddling with my map all day and now, in the evening, I finally finished the layout. Exactly 100 linedefs, all actions assigned, but still needs a lot of work on thing placement and texturing, which I won't probably manage to do today.

Here are two screenshots to prove the map actually exists. As I said, texturing is not definite.

Capellan said:

It's got 100. I think Travers just wanted one more for something.

It was to activate the lift a different way. Funny thing is that I've gone over the map a bit now and worked out some ways to use less linedefs, and now have a couple spare that I am a bit stuck trying to work out how best to use.

dobugabumaru said:
mart use of using switches as midtextures to save 2 lines

Just as well I said Boom-compatible then, since that trick would not work in vanilla :)

I've added links to all the maps to the opening post, up to and including dutch devil's (except hex11's, since it has 167 lines).

oh well, 18 maps already? Cool! This will become a megawad, if the map number still increase....

I'm going to do at least one more 100 lines map, maybe 2.

I like to just think of this as a collection of maps that happen to share a specific set of technical requirements :) "community megawad" is a pretty loaded term, with lots of baggage associated with it, so it is an expression I prefer to avoid unless someone's going to step up and handle all the headaches that go with it (it won't be me :) ).

At some point we can bundle these all up into a single zip and upload them to idgames, but I really don't mind if they're still all separate wad files within that zip. That would also make things easier if we end up with more than 30/32 of these, or if anyone does an Ultimate Doom map, rather than a Doom 2 one, or if maps need different complevels for some reason.

On another note, it occurs to me that making a 100 lines map that has both a normal and secret exit would be an extra special challenge.

If an idgames release happens, I'll post a request for permission before hand. No explicit permission, no upload.

Capellan said:

On another note, it occurs to me that making a 100 lines map that has both a normal and secret exit would be an extra special challenge.

:)

Download Aquaden.(MAP15)

skillsaw said:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8x87vbom6h2o4bw/skillsaw_100lines_1.wad

Here's my complete abortion of an attempt. This is hard. I made everything out of triangles (yes, even the doors) in a desperate attempt to save lines but doing so just made the map even more terrible.

Fun map. The broad geometry and enormous scale of it reminded me of the levels by purist's son Dylan :D