Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capellan

100 lines (final link now active)

CAAN YOU FEEEL THE LOOVE TONIGHT? Cause I can't.

I'm going to guess you guys were making maps with secret exits as well. There's still the MAP31 slot, isn't there? :-)

Obsidian said:

I'm going to guess you guys were making maps with secret exits as well. There's still the MAP31 slot, isn't there? :-)

Heh, I was just thinking it because of your map, then I thought why not, and I had JUST enough lines to do it with. No secrets unfortunately. THAT would be pretty hard to do with 100 lines ...

Demonologist said:

@ Katamori: your map crashes prb+, so I played it in zdoom to take a look. Please fix compat issues.

I tested that on Chocolate Doom, I have no idea why it wouldn't work on Boom.

Dutch Devil's map is a nice one actually, it has a good start where player has to act quickly and also a good ending. Most of the fights are easy though, but overall plays fine. I advise pushing harder next time (i.e. surrounding player, attacking him from several directions and heights at once, blocking escape routes etc.).

Chris Hansen's map is also smooth and has good gameplay, but I couldn't open the red door with cl9.

Skillsaw's map has missing texture on the last step sector in RK area. Music made me laugh, cool.

Archi's map could be much more vicious. I think swapping central rev with AV should pretty much do the trick already, some other additions are also possible to make things meaner.

And a bunch of FDAs once again.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/100lines_FDAs3.zip

@ Katamori: it gives texture error, I didn't try to sort that out. Just letting you know.

@ Memfis: maybe you?

Haven't played all maps yet, but I liked traversd's and Demonologist's. Demonologist's map in particular feels like it could have been at home in the original Hell Revealed.

Here's my go at it: Three Lines

Intended for a Boom+ compatible port in -complevel 9, but it might work in limit-removing as well. Tested in GLBoom+.

It won't "work" in ZDoom, and I suppose in other similar ports, even in "Doom (strict)" compatibility mode (the map will run, but most of the "architecture" will be disrupted).

Phml said:

Demonologist's map in particular feels like it could have been at home in the original Hell Revealed.

That's some serious compliment, thanks.

Phml said:

Here's my go at it

Tough as hell, I'll most likely have hard time beating it. But the execution itself is brilliant, only 3 actual linedefs with things dividing areas in the first place. You make this 'contest' look too easy, heh.

Archi said:

With just 100 lines it's only getting like this

Very good one, one of my favs in this thread now. Plays great for the most part.

Obsidian said:

Oh no, it wasn't because I was making a map with a secret exit, it's because I tried to beat that damn map about 20 times and got tired of relying on the RNG to decide to NOT hit me with that one last revenant rocket right before I was able to get the last box of ammo...

This thread's inspird me to try my first ever limitation-based map! There have been some great submissions so far, hopefully mine can add to the mix:

Download here~

Capellan, you weren't wrong about how tricky it can be to actually complete a map under such a limitation. Every time I thought I was done I ended up missing something out that completely ruined the map (enemies can see through impassable double-sided lines? Who would have thought! :v ). At first it seemed like I'd be able to finish everything easily enough, yet had to keep cutting corners - literally at times - to make things fit.

Demonologist said:
Chris Hansen's map is also smooth and has good gameplay, but I couldn't open the red door with cl9.

Thank you! I have fixed this error (I had forgotten to tag the door sector) and re-uploaded the file.

~85 lines into my second map. On the walk from the train station to work this morning, I worked out what I am going to do with the eastern section of the map. That'll use up about 7 more lines, leaving me just enough for what I want to do in the western section.

I am again finding myself more short on decorative lines than I expected (but I'd rather spend the lines on gameplay, as long as the map looks OK).

esselfortium said:

Fun map. The broad geometry and enormous scale of it reminded me of the levels by purist's son Dylan :D

I haven't seen his levels, but I'm glad it was fun. I wanted to aim for something big because I figured most of the submissions would naturally end up small given the strict limitations.

Demonologist said:

Skillsaw's map has missing texture on the last step sector in RK area. Music made me laugh, cool.

woops. I think I'll just leave that as is. The HOM can be a symbol for how half-assed the whole map is.

Demonologist said:

Dutch Devil's map is a nice one actually, it has a good start where player has to act quickly and also a good ending. Most of the fights are easy though, but overall plays fine. I advise pushing harder next time (i.e. surrounding player, attacking him from several directions and heights at once, blocking escape routes etc.).

It was easy even for me with my shitty skills in playing Doom. I thought it was going to be pretty hard when I was working on monster placement. I could do some extra work on gameplay.

Somehow I'm feeling proud to have a monster closet in my map :p Probably a waste of linedefs, but meh.

You can make a monster closet using only 1 linedef. Make a sector and put a teleporter linedef there, then delete its other linedefs. Merge it with some sector in the map so that the monsters could hear the player. Use stalagmites to block the monsters from spreading all over the map. You will have an unclosed sector but it isn't really a problem. Check my map for an example.

Memfis said:

You can make a monster closet using only 1 linedef. Make a sector and put a teleporter linedef there, then delete its other linedefs. Merge it with some sector in the map so that the monsters could hear the player. Use stalagmites to block the monsters from spreading all over the map. You will have an unclosed sector but it isn't really a problem. Check my map for an example.

I saw that in your map Memphis. Very clever!

Hello people. After literally whole two days of my infamous slowmapping, I'm done with my map and can provide download.

>> Port Penbene <<

Port Penbene is an attempt to a serious and normally flowing map. How much I was successfull with that, you can judge by yourself. Gameplay is quite easy I think even on UV, nevertheless there are difficulty settings implemented. Also it was designed with deathmatch in mind. Coop is there too, but I had to solve it quite strangely, considering the map uses a woodoo-doll.

One more thing - although I am here on Doomworld for quite a time and was involved in quite a few projects, in fact the total count of my actually released maps isn't that big, especially not those which got feedback. So as I need feedback, I would like to ask you for some comments on my map and possibly an FDA. Thanks in advance!

Even not using trickery like Memfis did, you can make a monster closet (floor lowering type) with 2 lines if it is triangular; 3 if rectangular.

OK, so we now have over 20 maps. That's pretty cool. Here's a suggestion for going forward with an idgames release:

Everyone who is willing to have their maps uploaded to idgames PM me their maps' details.

In terms of information for the map details, I guess the info we'd need for each level would be:

Map name
Author name to be used for credits
If you have multiple levels in the thread, something to let me know which level this one is :)
IWAD required (I think they are all Doom2 right now, but maybe someone will do UD or FD maps ... I'm thinking about an E4 map myself)
Intended Map slot (no need to be map01 if there is reason not to; for instance, if you want the hellish f_sky)
Port(s) / compatibility level(s) successfully tested
Are difficulty settings implemented?
Is Co-op supported?
Is DM supported?
Anything else you can think of?

If you want to include new music in your map, please also make sure you've posted a link to a version of the wad with that music included.

In the first week of July, I'll put together a zip with all the "OK for idgames" files in it and host it somewhere. Then we can give people a couple of weeks to playtest and after any major issues are fixed, upload it to idgames.

If people keep making 100 line maps after the pack is put together, we can always do another pack at a later date.

Thoughts, comments, howls of outrage?

It would seem a good idea to make a text file that anyone normally would when they upload to idgames. You should have all the info you need.

I'll do some extra work on my map and upload a new version with new music and text file included. I'd like a hell sky for my map, so any of the latter slots would be great.

I might do a second map if I can find the time and ideas.

scifista42 said:

Hello people. After literally whole two days of my infamous slowmapping, I'm done with my map and can provide download.

>> Port Penbene <<

Port Penbene is an attempt to a serious and normally flowing map. How much I was successfull with that, you can judge by yourself. Gameplay is quite easy I think even on UV, nevertheless there are difficulty settings implemented. Also it was designed with deathmatch in mind. Coop is there too, but I had to solve it quite strangely, considering the map uses a woodoo-doll.

One more thing - although I am here on Doomworld for quite a time and was involved in quite a few projects, in fact the total count of my actually released maps isn't that big, especially not those which got feedback. So as I need feedback, I would like to ask you for some comments on my map and possibly an FDA. Thanks in advance!

Played on HMP in Chocolate Doom, but couldn't finish. Plays fun. Got nervous when I saw the red key in the 0 brightness room, but it turned out to be easy with the SSG. A Megasphere is visible though wall from sector 8 when lift is lowered. Not sure if intentional. The TEKBRON1 wall by the yellow key confounded me to no end.

...aaand, I just realize that, of course, this is for Boom. So I'm not getting the full experience. Will post my impressions again later. XP

dutch devil said:

It would seem a good idea to make a text file that anyone normally would when they upload to idgames. You should have all the info you need.

That text file's got a lot of extra information that will be the same for every map, though, plus it's a long-ass thing to copy and paste into a PM. But if folks want to do it that way, that works :)

For the permissions section, I was figuring on may not modify, and may distribute.

Well I recon most of us might want to do some extra work on their maps and when they have an update ready they could include a textfile with the map. It just seems easier for you to manage rather than recieving a whole buch of info through PM which may or may not be complete when you get it. Just my thoughts :)

Ahh, dibs on one map spot please. Haven't got time to finish one, but I'll most definitely (probably) finish one by Friday.

BloodyAcid said:

Ahh, dibs on one map spot please.

No need to call dibs, since each map will remain as a standalone file within the xip.

Obsidian said:

I could probably churn out another one. =D

ArmoredBlood may have something to say to you if you do :)