Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kristus

Tower of Guns - "The binding of Quake".

http://www.towerofguns.com/
Tower of guns is a new game in production that is described as a mix of The binding of isaac and Quake. The game is up for preorder right now (5$). When you preorder you get access to a short build of the game instantly.

If you're interested in watching it in action I streamed when I played it myself for the first time.
http://www.twitch.tv/kristus_gaming/b/417205755

It's amazing how many indie FPS reference Quake as an inspiration, and then you go and play the game, and movement is slooooooow.

What exactly inspired them from Quake, if not that? The color brown? Ugly early 3D models? Nausea inducing headbob? :)

It's certainly not the gothic themes, which are never featured, or the level design, as every indie seems to love procedurally generated stuff.

The twitch game play generally (and I suppose air control). But yes, the main concern I got about the game is the clunky movement.

Yeah, that's a good point I guess. It just seems as if "Quake-inspired" has become a catchphrase to say "not Call of Duty" these days. :)

I tried Tower of Guns a couple weeks ago and it felt very Unreal Tournament-ish more than anything else (which I suppose shouldn't be a surprise seeing as he uses the UDK; perhaps he never even tweaked the default stuff). Floaty, weightless movement. Along with the giant-sized rooms it just didn't feel satisfying to move around. On the bright side, visuals are pretty neat for a one-man effort.

Inspiration doesn't have much to do with movement speed. Maybe they played Quake and thought.... we should do this!

>> edit. Watching the video now. Yeah I can see how it's Quake inspired. I like the currency idea and the perk idea, but the game just doesn't look that interesting. I quickly understood... there are a lot of guns in this game. Its a FPS stuck in a tower defense. Its just not interesting. I can't imagine any satisfaction from getting past one set of guns to find another set of guns followed by another set of guns.

Maybe my thinking is off and its just me.

If you're going to have only guns with a few enemies.... add some enemies between the sentries. Make the guns do different things, like sticky sentries that will slow you down, oil shooting sentries that make the ground slick and you can burn the oil, poisonous sentries, explosive sentries that when the projectile hits it detonates, enemies that can only die while being shot by the sentries, hitscan sentries, sniper sentries with laser pointers (if not just sniper enemies). Sticky patches on the floor so when you hit them the sentries can actually shoot you. Laser traps. Shield generators to protect the guns until you flip a switch that disables the shield.

So many ideas.

Inspiration doesn't have much to do with movement speed. Maybe they played Quake and thought.... we should do this!

But what is "this"? If you claim to be inspired by something, it's fair to expect some of the defining factors of that inspiration will show in your work. Otherwise why name it as an inspiration at all? Of course we're all inspired by many things in various different ways, but you're not going to *market* (keyword here) your new platformer as "inspired by Pepsi" simply because you had an eureka moment while passively watching ads.

Worst example of this is Paranautical Activity. You move like a snail, fight three enemies at a time in, literally, small square room after small square room, all of which close until you kill everything. It's much closer to Serious Sam than Quake.

ToG website said:
Think of it like FTL or Binding of Isaac mixed with Doom2/Quake!

So there, no need to rip your pants.

Sounds interesting, but still a long way to go. Can't remember the last FPS (if there ever was one) that used the element of randomness as a core feature.

Settle down. I'm not ripping on this game in particular, and I'm actually hopeful it could turn out to be cool, too; just pointing out an oddity. You could literally replace "Quake" with "Doom 2" and my previous points still apply (ok, swap "gothic themes" for "hellish themes". No similarity in visual themes - that's the point).

Shots look cartoony and exaggerated. It's like they're trying to mock an industrial feel of many shooter games.

Sure, let's laugh at our past and call it a tribute.

Phml said:

But what is "this"? If you claim to be inspired by something, it's fair to expect some of the defining factors of that inspiration will show in your work. Otherwise why name it as an inspiration at all? Of course we're all inspired by many things in various different ways, but you're not going to *market* (keyword here) your new platformer as "inspired by Pepsi" simply because you had an eureka moment while passively watching ads.

I do get a Quake vibe from it, even if it has been a while since I've played Quake. The look, the weapons, the mmmph when you jump. Maybe I'm just the only one that feels this way. Is speed the only thing you feel when you play Quake or does it specifically say somewhere.... Inspired by Quake speed?

I haven't played Serious Sam.... yet thanks to the Humble Bundle I know own all of them. Never installed them.

What about a platformer inspired by 7-Up?? I'm not sure what new platformer says.... inspired by Mario Bros! Even Doom said it was inspired by Aliens & Evil Dead.