Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holering

Aspect ratio and/or fov differs from vanilla (dos) doom?

Holering said:

In what way?

If you play the game in 320x200 or 640x400, it will not be aspect ratio corrected. This is intentional because we assume if you are playing the game at that low of a resolution, you are using a display device which does the stretching itself, like an oldschool CRT.

If you play in any 4:3 mode, the game appears correct. If you play in any other 16:10 or 16:9 widescreen mode, the FOV will increase so that the renderer can fill the extra space. The HUD will then render to a centered 4:3 sub-buffer.

5:4 is its own thing entirely. You cannot compare 5:4 output to anything else. Eternity will display the renderer portion of screen output properly for 5:4, again changing the FOV slightly, but the HUD will be slightly distorted. There is not really any effective way to deal with that.

So you are either wrong, or you have misunderstood something. DOOM appears correct when the internal resources are drawn at a 4:3 aspect ratio.

The differences you describe in your thread have something to do with differences in Cardboard texture scaling, or the fact that Eternity supports twice as many distinct light fading levels as vanilla did. The number of columns on screen is demonstratably identical. Pixel-perfect vanilla rendering is neither possible, nor has ever been a goal of Eternity.

My mistake. Just noticed the fov is actually better than prboom-plus in regards to imitating vanilla and chocolate-doom (the middle viewing angle doesn't stretch any more wide than dos or chocolate-doom).

Only thing curious are the sprites appearing shifted a little to the right (barrel, dead marine, and corpse); is this is due to the renderer or sprite offsets? Doom guys hand is also a pixel higher from the status bar.

Holering said:

My mistake. Just noticed the fov is actually better than prboom-plus in regards to imitating vanilla and chocolate-doom (the middle viewing angle doesn't stretch any more wide than dos or chocolate-doom).

Only thing curious are the sprites appearing shifted a little to the right (barrel, dead marine, and corpse); is this is due to the renderer or sprite offsets? Doom guys hand is also a pixel higher from the status bar.

The former is probably floating point roundoff. The latter is a known bug actually, which ConSiGno has been pestering me to look into (weapon sprite scaling is currently incorrect at 320x200 and this causes some strangeness like this).

Quasar said:
Holering said:

Doom guys hand is also a pixel higher from the status bar.

[...] The latter is a known bug actually, which ConSiGno has been pestering me to look into (weapon sprite scaling is currently incorrect at 320x200 and this causes some strangeness like this).

Any news on this? It appears that Crispy Doom is also suffering from this, although I have hever touched the way the weapon sprite scaling is handled:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/crispy-doom/issues/1