Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Capellan

100 lines (final link now active)

Capellan said:

I'm going to try and work my way through all the maps this weekend. That's a lot of maps, but they are mostly short, right? :)

... No I'm not going to work on a long map with 100 lines. No. No brain, I will not.

ArmouredBlood said:
... No I'm not going to work on a long map with 100 lines. No. No brain, I will not.

Well, we have had at least one map with 400+ monsters, so you can certainly fight a lot of fighting into 100 lines :)

Edit to add: I think we actually have 32 maps in the thread now, and I know of at least a couple that are still being worked on. Not everyone's going to want to include their map in an idgames release, I guess, and not all the maps are necessarily serious or of a standard we'd want, but that's still a pretty good effort!

your screenshot is 125x90 pixels and you uploaded a .dbs file.

I think you should try again.

This sounds fun, I'm on it.

100 lines go a fuckton quicker than you'd expect, so sacrifices have to be made.

Architecture is done, all 100 lines accounted for.

And HERE IT IS.
Title: Cross the Rubicon
Build time: ~100 minutes
Music: No
Coop: Yes
DM: Yes

Just a quick and hectic runaround, something of a half-boss level. Kinda.I wasn't sure about it at first, but ended up really enjoying it.

Skill levels and multiplayer supported, though not tested.

Nice! Though the methodical approach (which works better than I anticipated; enemies were 'waking up' much earlier for you than when I tested in Chocolate Doom) is neat, it takes away a bit of the 'frenzy' that I had intended with this map.

Thinking on making the water into nukage (with a radsuit at the player start) to deter this. Anyone else have an opinion? :)

Jayextee said:

Thinking on making the water into nukage (with a radsuit at the player start) to deter this. Anyone else have an opinion? :)

Nah , it has a lot of enemys in 1 place so why bother doing nukage floor where you have to worry about the suit too.

Making a start on feedback.

PrBoom-plus 2.5.1.3; compatibility -1 unless otherwise stated. HMP. Pistol start. No music.

ArmoredBlood
Solid map in a style (slaughter) that I don't normally find appealing. There are a few places where a line or two could be saved, but not a huge number. My only real complaint is the one I've already raised about inconsistent texture use.

Obsidian's Corrode
The gameplay here is OK, but there's very little of it. The level is very short, probably a consequence of inefficient line use. The concentric squares design is pretty heavy on linedefs to start with. Sector 2 (the nukage) is also a big culprit here. It would be easy to save 4-8 lines by tweaking the layout of that sector. The central pillar is also an issue: 12 lines for what could have been done in 4 by making it and sector 3 into lowering floors. Changing the design to be more efficient with lines would allow a bit more 'meat' to this meal.

traversd's level
This level looks pretty good - not highly detailed, but not completely bare - and has a fair chunk of play in it. The opening's the most brutal part of the map I think, as you're under quite a lot of pressure from numerous directions. The addition of a rocket launcher definitely changes the play and is a positive, I think. Good stuff.

More to come - maybe later today, maybe not until tomorrow.

Magnusblitz's level
On my 3rd attempt, I finished it in 14 seconds. :)
This is another case of there being very little level to actually play. It looks nice, but that comes at quite the cost in linedefs, which forces the level to be very very short.

GRB's 1st
A lot of 'inefficient' (i.e. normal) line use here, which given that it's got more content than Magnus's or Obsidian's levels, requires the looks of the level to be very, very bare bones in general. Though that may be GRB's usual style. Gameplay feels very arcade-y, being pretty clearly nothing more than rooms and corridors in which to kill monsters. The cyber wandered to the far end of the hall from the exit when I played, and I was thus able to easily drop into the exit.

I edited my post above with this information, but still:

My map entry
Title: Cross the Rubicon
Build time: ~100 minutes
Coop: Yes
DM: Yes

It was basically a speed-map, although well-tested (because it takes about two minutes to beat; no problem) and very premeditated -- I literally lay awake one night thinking of the four-sided teleporter thing and how that may 'possibly' save on lines.

As for map placement, probably after the first few will do. It acts a bit like a boss map, though doesn't need MAP07 triggers.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/yz8egd
Title: Three Lines
Build time: ~6 hours (most of it playtesting, for obvious reasons)
Music: Yes
Coop: No
DM: No

Intended for a Boom+ compatible port in -complevel 9, tested in GlBoom+ v2.5.1.2.

Will run, but unlikely to work properly in ZDoom-based ports due to its design. Probably best in a secret slot or later slot due to that.

Oh, and if mine ends up as a E3/hell map then give me a shout and I'll happily retexture it. I think the current textures will work for E2/city, but I can have another look in case.

Looking forward to playing the megawad. All my info is in the txt file (though please don't use my map for map30 because there are teleporting monsters). Also forgot to mention that all vertices and things in my map lie on a 64x64 grid just for fun.

Demonologist said:

@ Capellan: just letting you know that you missed dobu's map in your OP list.

Thanks. Fixed.

Get 'er right here
Title: Devil's Knot
Build time: ~2 hours (Not counting playtesting)
Coop: Yes (Barely. Starts only; untested)
DM: No

Just finished a map for this. I like these weird constraints-based mapping projects.

Works in Zdoom, but it should also work fine in any Boom-based port. Runs in the Doom 2 map01 slot.

Ps - This is clear for an IdGames release if it passes criteria.

Capellan said:

Magnusblitz's level
On my 3rd attempt, I finished it in 14 seconds. :)
This is another case of there being very little level to actually play. It looks nice, but that comes at quite the cost in linedefs, which forces the level to be very very short.

Heh, I just tried it out myself, apparently the Mastermind doesn't block the exit as well as I hoped. Did it in 9 seconds. Might as well get rid of the block monster line after all then.

I might take another crack at this challenge and try something a bit more normal-level-ish, but 100 lines might be too much for my mapping abilities.

39 maps, now. Not all of them entirely serious, perhaps, but still a good haul. Might make 50+ at this rate. I'm still considering doing at least one more.

I'll be trying out some more of them tonight, starting with walter's first effort.