Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

What PWADs would be allowed in Compet-N if it was established today?

As the subject suggests, I wonder which PWADs would be accepted for Compet-N demos if it was established today. I believe, e.g. Scythe and DTWID would be good candidates. On the other hand I wonder why Icarus and Eternal Doom were not added back then (but then I believe that had to do with "TeamTNT have sold their souls" ;) ).

Maybe Kama Sutra as it's designed with speedrunners in mind. Scythe is a good shout. Speed of Doom also seems like that sort thing if port compatibility is of no concern. It would be nice to see some new inductees, I don't know why because it doesn't affect me one way or another but that does appeal to me.

Final doom was included for compet-n
It really depends what people want, if it's still vanilla only then Ksutra, dtwid, scythe would be excellent inclusions

I always felt like for uv or nm speed scythe would be too gimmicky and short. It's done that way on purpose obviously where lot of the tricks are references to ones from official levels, but it'd still be just someone recording that 6s run and then you're done. Congratulations, unbeatable demo, nothing to do here anymore. Even the more normal levels are doable in around half a minute iirc. It's still a great wad but I doubt it'd create interesting competition for speed categories.

cannonball said:

Final doom was included for compet-n

Yes, but Final Doom are IWADs, not PWADs. Sorry, In my initial post I should have asked "what PWADs in addition to the four official IWADs". By the way, I think the new "official family member" NERVE.WAD would be another obvious candidate. Apropos, Final Doom, how about Plutonia 2?

purist said:

Maybe Kama Sutra as it's designed with speedrunners in mind.

I am not sure if this is relevant. Memento Mori was an obvious candidate back then (and maybe is still by today's standards), but according to its own MM.TXT file it was designed with *multiplayer* in mind.

kunkun said:

I always felt like for uv or nm speed scythe would be too gimmicky and short.

Maybe you are right. I remember I have once seen a video on Youtube with someone playing through the whole of Scythe in a matter of just a few minutes. There is really not much space left for competition. Maybe Scythe 2 would fit better?

Plut said:

Sunder is not vanilla wad).

I am not sure if vanilla compatibility should still be a criterion; removed limits or even Boom compatibility should be alright. The WADs should just not be port-specific, IMHO (like, e.g. Knee-Deep in ZDoom).

Vile said:

I'd throw in a vote for TVR.

good pick. maxes are short enough for insane grinding and speedruns aren't "taken" yet like they are with scythe. even most uv-speeds are beatable. btw most of your demopack maxes are still valid records. i think anima took out one and i beat two other. :)

my vote would be prcp. it's vanilla and it's not as gusta/erik-cursed with 4s speedruns like pl2, ksutra or scythes. scythe2 would be fine too, of course.

dew said:

good pick. maxes are short enough for insane grinding and speedruns aren't "taken" yet like they are with scythe. even most uv-speeds are beatable. btw most of your demopack maxes are still valid records. i think anima took out one and i beat two other. :)

Nice. :D I haven't seen what the records are like in a while but TVR did have consistent quality throughout and complimented the many categories offered by C-N. It even has speed movie runs and it seems like max movies wouldn't be too much of a stretch (assuming that hasn't been done already).

Haha, I forgot that I did those nightmare episode runs too.

Any chance to get the list of PWADs accepted in Compet-N updated or extended?

doom.com.hr is the proper forum if you want to get an answer; here we can just speculate :)