Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
j4rio

Moar demopack

So, yeah, it's that time of the year again.

Wad pick would be Sector 666 from 1998 by Paul DeBruyne, 10 relatively short maps (occupied on mapslots 1-5,7-11) playable in vanilla, preferable category choice is max but with increased activity in other categories they can be added as mandatory as well, which would be plausible considering lower density of maps, also maxes that exist for it are most likely beatable by casual FDA so I don't really count them as very notable contribution towards demo attention regarding this wad.

Share your deepest thoughts&feelings about the subject.

Also, ToD, I hope you're not letting me down this year. ;-)

Personally, if I had to choose the next big demopack collection, I'd choose from:

Zones of Fear
Beyond The Hell
A.L.T.
Interception
Herian

There's a bajillion wads around and voting would get us nowhere anyway. Even you picked out 5, which is not exactly helpful. Also, I'd rather refrain from 32 map wads for now. Those take too much effort and somebody has to do the sacrifice of taking care of the annoying parts of wad. Preferably something more relaxed, 10-15 maps at most.

Good idea, but maybe Coffee Break instead of 666? Gameplay is more tough and fun and design is much more beautiful, so if it will Coffee Break I most likely will try to participate.

I remember playing Sector 666 and thinking that it kind of blows. Let's do FSD from here, it's good. I already maxed 2 maps.

Well I liked it. :)

It doesn't matter to me at all. The problem is voting is of no use because there is too much to choose from and most of undemoed stuff usually blows. I can do a poll with few random wads to choose from randomly picked by me but no more than 3-4.

Coffee break is quite demoified tbh, I think.

S666 does look pretty dated. I recorded one level which I found pretty fun to play for some reason. No idea how to name this but whatever, doubt anyone will watch it on doom2.exe anyway.

s666-04-053.zip

Memfis said:

Let's do FSD from here

:\\\

j4rio said:

Coffee break is quite demoified tbh, I think.

I believe existing maxes for CB aren't so cool to be unbeatable in 1 hour.

I think S666 is a good choice and it's because of this thread I decided to play it again and I was surprised that I remember some parts here and there. I've been meaning to play Coffee Break (I only played the first map though).

Played map 2 from Sector 666, and it seemed OK, so I'm probably willing to do demos for this wad. I don't really have any specific preferences, though, and I'm willing to speedrun pretty much anything.

4shockblast said:

Played map 2 from Sector 666

That's my demo time gone then. :P I'm up for maybe participating in this but I'm nowhere near good enough to set good times, especially maxes as I tend to play cautiously.

as much as i'm down with an odd wad choice like inferno was, i don't see a point in digging this particular corpse out of its grave (and having a lot of needlessly laborious sex with it). even skillsaw makes fun of his first release, it's 15 years old and the progress he made as a mapper is stunning... why not improve vanguard records instead or something?

Well, with demoed wads you lose the aspect of not knowing a slightest tint about maps by just watching a demo few times, unless you did happen to play them before. And with first demo coming up, it will still likely offer possible route tweaks. And then another guy gets in and does some seconds hunting. With wads like vanguard it would be unlikely and straight off jump to second hunting. I'm not saying that's bad, but you would get another aspect into play this way. I hope that makes some sense.

I don't mind other wad picks, but I'd personally prefer if it was undemoed and roughly contained 10 to 15 maps. With this one you also get a bonus of it being vanilla, so purists would get satisfactory playing/watching.

FSD is vanilla compatible, actually good, has 13 maps and only 2 demos by me :D :D :D

Another possible suggestion from more recent years is Eternally Yours.
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=16734
I've been making my own demopack for it with UV Maxes and UV Speeds, and I think it's pretty good, though I've only done the first three maps, so I can't say how relaxed the later maps are. But, as I've said before, I'm not too concerned on what the wad choice will be.

FSD - the first map has dumb dummy teleporters, besides that it could work, haven't checked it whole.

Eternally Yours - would work, even though personally I'm not much of valkiri's style fan.

Any other possible wad suggestions like that?

if this starts when im not time-attacking a map already, I might jump in as well

ps: My doom culture about wads in general is AWFUL. I've just played couple times through the original levels maybe, only partially tnt/plutonia/and most of the most common wads, so it doesnt matter which one will be picked, since it will be 100% new to me anyway.

Oh yeah, there's also the squadron thingie I totally forgot about. The only thing to it would be that it's around 20 maps. How about that one?

Cool you're still around blobby. ;p

j4rio said:

Cool you're still around blobby. ;p

!
chilling a bit :) gave up on uv-max for a bit, not satisfied by my creations in most case

j4rio said:

How about that one?

Haha, let's make this happen just to see Anca actually maxing map05. :P Seriously though, that would be another very good choice. Very fun slaughter-ish levels with a neat soundtrack.

j4rio said:

How about that one?

Didn't liked it to be honest, very dated IMO. How about something modern?

All of relatively recent packs were of modern wads, so something for a change would be in order. Besides, there are not 40 maps like in pc_cp so if 4-5 people would be willing to record for it, it'd be just enough.

Dark Resolution 2008? I dunno, dont remember much of it except a few maps, I just noticed it had a severe lack of demos (might be a reason for that :p)

eenteresting, my next pet project was to see if I could beat existing max times on dr2008v2 maps 10, 11, so I'd participate in that one for sure :)

Yeah, DR would be great too, not sure if map07 is maxable though. Maybe there is not enough ammo to kill both cybers unless you're good with fists. If you can beat map11 at all, you should definitely be able to beat the previous max time. ggg was taking it veeeery slowly in his demo. (still a great accomplishment of course, that map is, like, evil)

Great choice, just +1.
EDIT: but some 2 last maps are very difficult and MAP04 isn't very good IMO.

Hm, I'd personally prefer squadron over it, but if there's interest in it then I see no problem. That is, some maps are guaranteed to be max-only as they'd most likely be out of question for anything else. And some maps are... ehh. I recall map 4 being a boring lenghty slog.

I'd do a poll of some sort in OP were this forum not be an ancient piece of antiquitiy and prevented me from doing so. I guess I'll make new thread with it. Sometime later.

I remember quite a few maps from that which were pretty good. Map04 was dreadful though and the later maps are just pure evil.