Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnknownToaster

Decorate: spawn actor on death help

Hey, everyone.
I'm making a decorate actor and I want it to spawn a different actor upon it's death. (The goal is for it to have a certain amount of health then change to a more difficult version of itself. [I originally wanted to do this with states but I found it might be easier to just make it spawn a second actor on death. If this is not so, do let me know.)

Before deciding to make this thread, I found this thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/62686-doom-decorate-and-editing-help/
and this page:
http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_SpawnItemEx

I found the answer that I am using for this cause in that thread but I'm having problems with it, and I thought that people would like it better if I made a thread with a specific problem than bumping such an old thread.

Anyhow, I planned on placing A_SpawnItemEx in my actors death state so that once it dies, it can spawn the second actor I wish to use.

I found once trying this that I had no errors upon launching the game, but after killing the actor, nothing seemed to have happened.

I have it set as so:
Death:
CYBR H 10
CYBR I 10 A_Scream
CYBR JKL 10
CYBR M 10 A_NoBlocking
CYBR NO 10
CYBR P 30
CYBR P -1 A_BossDeath
CYBR P -1 A_SpawnItemEx("SuperDemon2",0,0,28, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
Stop
Loop
}
}

I tried a few other configurations but they didn't have much effect.
Superdemon2 is the name of the actor I wish to call. The first (and the one that this code is from) is called Superdemon.

Is this configuration incorrect? It seems I must be doing something incorrectly or am using something incorrectly.

If you need to see the rest of the code, I'll put it here.
http://pastebin.com/5040HjsP

Both of the actors are practically identical for now as I'm trying to get the respawn in beforehand.

Any help is greatly appreciated, whether it's fixing my code, showing a better way to do it, or any other hint to help me in the future.

Thank you!

Did you try putting the A_SpawnItemEx codepointer on the frame before the A_BossDeath frame? I think the -1 frame duration causes code execution to stop at that point.

EDIT: Like This:

CYBR P 30 A_SpawnItemEx("SuperDemon2",0,0,28, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
CYBR P -1 A_BossDeath
Stop
}
}

Rayzik said:

Did you try putting the A_SpawnItemEx codepointer on the frame before the A_BossDeath frame? I think the -1 frame duration causes code execution to stop at that point.

Thank you! I tried it just now and it worked flawlessly. I really appreciate the help! :)

I wish I had thought to do that, but I didn't know that would be a problem.

I set it to this:
CYBR P 30 A_SpawnItemEx("SuperDemon2",0,0,28, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0)
CYBR P -1 A_BossDeath
Stop
Loop
}
}
And it was fine.

Great! Thank you!