Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

I don't, and I can't say I really like the Saturn resources, but I'm sure we could include them as an optional file if someone rips them and provides the sbarinfo.

Keep that Saturn crap out of my PSX Doom.

At the absolute most, Saturn resources should be a completely optional download.

Regarding the TC itself, an issue I have with the current version is that pistol starts are forced when beginning a new episode; this is shit, and takes away something that the console originals provided. They gave you the option to either go ahead and start the next episode from the main menu with the default equipment, or you could go to the password screen and resume the next map with all of your acquired gear.

In other words, remove this stupid enforced crap. If people want a fresh start for every episode, they could easily do so via the menu. As it stands, there's no option that would let players decide for themselves though whether they want to start things anew every time they complete a segment, or to carry on as though it was one long adventure.

I agree. Final Doom didn't do this, and even on the PSX original it was easily circumvented.

And yeah, not fussed on the Saturn stuff. As someone who has beaten it, I can say that incorporating its resources is completely moot.

BaronOfStuff said:

Regarding the TC itself, an issue I have with the current version is that pistol starts are forced when beginning a new episode; this is shit, and takes away something that the console originals provided. They gave you the option to either go ahead and start the next episode from the main menu with the default equipment, or you could go to the password screen and resume the next map with all of your acquired gear.

In other words, remove this stupid enforced crap. If people want a fresh start for every episode, they could easily do so via the menu. As it stands, there's no option that would let players decide for themselves though whether they want to start things anew every time they complete a segment, or to carry on as though it was one long adventure.

Strongly agree, though the only way around it, is to pretty much edit the ZMAPINFO and change the "next" bit so that instead of going to the story screen, you'll go straight to the next level with all equipment.

I followed the directions provided earlier in the thread. I have all the necessary files, including the PSXDOOM.BAT and PSXTCMUS.PK3, as well as the Doom 2 IWAD in the GZDoom folder. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any changes. The music isn't playing and there's none of the PSX Doom effects. Is there something I'm missing or settings that need to be changed (or some .cfg file I don't have)? Thanks in advance.

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out, nothing to see here. Also, it's freaking awesome. Is there any word on getting the PSX Final Doom correct skies in? The animated fire sky also seems pixelated. I'm not nit-picking, since this is a great TC, but I was curious if that's still being worked on.

Salahmander2 said:

Strongly agree, though the only way around it, is to pretty much edit the ZMAPINFO and change the "next" bit so that instead of going to the story screen, you'll go straight to the next level with all equipment.

Or the project lead could go back and take out the bullshit 'clearinventory' bits of script on the RESETEPx maps. Completely unnecessary stuff.

I've been away for a number of years, so please bear with my ignorance. Do I need any additional files or modifications to create levels for the PSX Doom TC in Doom Builder? Is scripting for colored lighting and other PSX-style effects still necessary? After playing this TC, I've been impressed by the effort to faithfully recapture the essence of PSX Doom. I'd really like to see a burgeoning effort for PSX exclusive levels being created, if there isn't already. In my eyes, PSX style can be considered a theme just as much as E1 is, because it elicits a certain emotional response due to memories and its atmosphere.

V2.132 Latest version
http://www.mediafire.com/?bt90m3aj8ahau49

Or here is just the change files to place in psxdoom.pk3 manually
http://www.mediafire.com/?54q03u9ducp3c38

Includes BlueFireZ88 map52 secret fix. Also removed reset inventory code from the end maps and resthealth from ZMAPINFO.TXT so that you continue as usual into the next episode. Totally agree with you guys, at least this way you got the option.

BlueFireZ88 there is every chance of the same type of bugs in the final doom maps I have not had the time to play tested levels too 100% scores.

BaronOfStuff that RESETEPx craps been removed, I was experimenting with multiplayer to try and get both players to see the loading bar when moving to the next episode. It should have never been included in the release.

Job said:

I've been away for a number of years, so please bear with my ignorance. Do I need any additional files or modifications to create levels for the PSX Doom TC in Doom Builder? Is scripting for colored lighting and other PSX-style effects still necessary?

You only need to select the main TC (PSXDOOM.PK3) as a resource file alongside doom2.wad. If you map in UDMF format, coloured lighting is applied directly to the sector as a property, instead of via Scripts or colour setting Things. Some other lighting effects might need to be scripted, but there is more than likely a way around this using conventional linedef effects (strobe lighting for example can be set up with this very easily).

When applying flats/textures, just be sure to only use stuff from PSXDOOM.PK3, and nothing from the IWAD (with the exception of F_SKY1 and BLOODx flats IIRC).

ScottGray said:

Also removed reset inventory code from the end maps and resthealth from ZMAPINFO.TXT so that you continue as usual into the next episode. Totally agree with you guys, at least this way you got the option.

Hurrah!

BaronOfStuff said:

You only need to select the main TC (PSXDOOM.PK3) as a resource file alongside doom2.wad. If you map in UDMF format, coloured lighting is applied directly to the sector as a property, instead of via Scripts or colour setting Things. Some other lighting effects might need to be scripted, but there is more than likely a way around this using conventional linedef effects (strobe lighting for example can be set up with this very easily).

When applying flats/textures, just be sure to only use stuff from PSXDOOM.PK3, and nothing from the IWAD (with the exception of F_SKY1 and BLOODx flats IIRC).

Thanks for the great response! That leaves me with only one question - can I use regular Doom Builder to edit in UDMF format (for colored lighting) is that feature specific to GZDoom Builder? Thanks again!

Job said:

Thanks for the great response! That leaves me with only one question - can I use regular Doom Builder to edit in UDMF format (for colored lighting) is that feature specific to GZDoom Builder? Thanks again!

Can be done in the regular version.

Scott, there are a couple regressions in this release. The launch bat doesn't specify the iwad again, so the GZDoom selection prompt is displayed, and the weapon keys are back to using the bar's numbers instead of the normal ones.

ScottGray:

Up up to Map08 (Minos) in PSX Final Doom, and so far there's been no problem with the first seven levels in getting 100% Kills/Items/Secrets.

I'll be sure to post if I find a problem in the course of my playthrough, or if I complete all remaining levels without issue.

I'm certainly opting for the latter, but I'll keep you posted.

Dragonsbrethren said:

are back to using the bar's numbers instead of the normal ones.

Without actually playing this version, isn't that so the keys are set up as 5 for Chaingun, 8 for BFG, etc.? Surely that's how they should be

Eris Falling said:

Surely that's how they should be

Agreed. Using the PC numbers wouldn't make sense, regardless of how used to that setup some people may be.

Eris Falling said:

Without actually playing this version, isn't that so the keys are set up as 5 for Chaingun, 8 for BFG, etc.? Surely that's how they should be

BaronOfStuff said:

Agreed. Using the PC numbers wouldn't make sense, regardless of how used to that setup some people may be.

Does anyone actually want to relearn the weapon keys after playing this game for over a decade? Because I sure don't. The PSX version didn't even have individual weapon selections. Part of the reason why I started tweaking the TC in the first place was to put the weapons back to the correct number keys. If it bothers you guys that the numbers on the bar don't match the number keys then change the bar, this is a PC port, use the PC numbers.

I find that it's a lot easier to adapt to the new weapon keys than pressing 6 for weapon 7, pressing 8 for nothing, and so on.

Well it's not for me, and I suspect it's that way for a lot more players. 5 is the rocket launcher, 6 is the plasma gun, and 7 is the BFG no matter what the numbers on the status bar claim. You can always set the numbers up the other way through your config if it really bothers you that we're not being 100% authentic to something the original game didn't even support. I'm just arguing what's going to be better for the majority of Doom players. No one should have to relearn weapon bindings for one wad.

^
Happens all the time in mods, where you can end up with shotguns on key 5. Technically, this is a mod. I don't see what the big issue with using 1 - 8 is. Surely it makes less sense to see '4' on the STBAR, only to have to hit '3' to use it.

And it takes what, 30 seconds to adapt to a new set? It's not like you have to 'unlearn' the original bindings either.

Job said:

can I use regular Doom Builder to edit in UDMF format

If by regular you mean Doom Builder 2, then yet.

Doom Builder 1.68 (the old one written in Visual Basic) does not support UDMF.

BlueFireZ88 said:

I'll be sure to post if I find a problem in the course of my playthrough, or if I complete all remaining levels without issue.

BlueFire its much appreciated thank you.

Dragon the launch bat specifys the iwad again.

I agree with Dragon on the weapon keys, in the heat of the moment am straight back into PC weapon keys, its burned into my brain along with all the cheat codes, however I think we are the minority, most of you seem to want to keep weapons keys as they are, so I will add a extra on my downloads post for those of us that want to revert back to PC key. Everyone cool with this?

ScottGray said:

I agree with Dragon on the weapon keys, in the heat of the moment am straight back into PC weapon keys, its burned into my brain along with all the cheat codes, however I think we are the minority, most of you seem to want to keep weapons keys as they are, so I will add a extra on my downloads post for those of us that want to revert back to PC key. Everyone cool with this?

Best of both worlds?! I'm cool with that!

I really don't see the point of changing the weapon key numbering. Most, if not all players of the TC will have already played the crap out of the PC versions, and will know the original weapon numbers by memory.

I ask that it isn't changed cause I'm so used to how it is.

A minor wall alignment/texturing issue I have found in MAP29 "Twilight Descends".

I am not sure if the part sticking out should be lowered or rather the column part on the right raised. Possibly it's also a missing side wall that needs to be added. When looking at the whole thing from the left side, it seems OK, just not from this angle.

NightFright said:

A minor wall alignment/texturing issue I have found in MAP29 "Twilight Descends".

I am not sure if the part sticking out, the column part on the right raised or just a missing side part added. When looking at the whole thing from the left side, it seems OK, just not from this angle.

I'll see if I can fix it and upload a fixed version.

Update: Ah, the sky ceiling is pretty much what's causing it. There's no way I can increase the sky "ceiling" in the water area without going over. I can't sort this I'm afraid.

Well, it's not like the map is unplayable if it stays like this, you know. :) This is rather a nitpicking thing.

Maybe you could increase the height of the adjacent walls/columns to get everything aligned properly, but I am not sure if that's possible. Anyway, someone might figure out a way to fix it eventually.

Until then, I will continue through the rest of the maps and see if I'll find more.

*EDIT July 6*
Here is a similar one, MAP40 "Refueling Base":

I use a controller, so I don't even get the whole numbered key issues; I use the original "shoulder buttons to cycle" method :D

NightFright said:

Well, it's not like the map is unplayable if it stays like this, you know. :) This is rather a nitpicking thing.

Maybe you could increase the height of the adjacent walls/columns to get everything aligned properly, but I am not sure if that's possible. Anyway, someone might figure out a way to fix it eventually.

Until then, I will continue through the rest of the maps and see if I'll find more.

*EDIT July 6*
Here is a similar one, MAP40 "Refueling Base":

You got a good eye for detail. I can't see what those very little sectors do, there's a third one too.

MAP40 minor fix.

I might be wrong about this one, but better be safe than sorry.

This is inside of the main building in MAP42 "The Factory". Isn't the whole walkway supposed to protect you from the slime if you walk the correct path (underneath the ceiling lights)? The second half apparently is still toxic and hurts you. There are protective suits ofc, but well... This could be intended, but I don't know.