Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Oh my God Hocus Pocus was one of my favorite DOS games from my childhood I love you

A little curious about the HUD, though. Hearts? I thought Hocus Pocus used a percentage figure, just like Doom does; surely that'd have required no real modification.

Yes please. You already know I love this, rf, but I'll reiterate :3

The colors, textures, and overall design are really stylish, and the 3D mushrooms are a great touch. It looks like it could have been an awesome Doom-engine-based commercial game from around the time Strife came out.

Nomad said:

That. is. way. fucking. cool.

Is there nothing you can do wrong? Seriously. How can I get my mitts on this?

If I can finish a couple more levels I'll release a small demo. I have at least three levels mostly done right now.

Shadow Hog said:

Oh my God Hocus Pocus was one of my favorite DOS games from my childhood I love you

A little curious about the HUD, though. Hearts? I thought Hocus Pocus used a percentage figure, just like Doom does; surely that'd have required no real modification.

It stays faithful to most of the game, but I like adding some new things to make it feel a little different.

TimeOfDeath said:

Wasn't Hocus Pocus a side-scroller? And those screens look way cooler!

It very much was, which makes it harder to translate into 3d.

To be fair, Hocus Pocus was a rather basic game. Despite the very, very pretty backgrounds, there were, like, three types of non-boss enemies, total (walking enemies that shot at you; walking enemies that rammed at you; flying enemies that shot at you), and they just changed the sprites around to hope you wouldn't notice. You generally only had one attack, too; a weak lightning bolt akin to Mega Man's lemon shooter. You could grab lightning bolt items to shrink the between-shot cooldown and let you fire them more frequently, but unless you found a white potion (that turned the cooldown time to practically non-existent, letting you fire a stream of lightning like a gatling gun) or the brown potion (that gave you powerful fireballs that could pierce through enemies, but only three shots)... your puny lightning bolt's all you got.

Lots of level geometry changes, though, whether by walking over a certain spot or flicking some switches (or a set of them), which was always pretty cool. Several potions, too; I already detailed the two weapon-related ones, but there were also ones that let you jump higher (one time use only, and they don't respawn, so better hope you know exactly what you want to jump to and don't botch it up), and ones that acted as really slow teleporters.

Also, collision damage. Something Doom doesn't really have, does it? I've kinda wondered how one'd go about implementing that in ZDoom, but not too hard. (Notably, bosses OHKO'd you. Fun.)

@rf
It`s amazing to see how good the old doom engine can still look, thanks to those awesome textures and architecture. Id` love to play this. *_*

You know what we REALLY need? -- "Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure Doom!" How hard can it be to implement suction-cup-hand platforming from a first-person perspective?

Seriously, though -- awesome stuff, rf.

I didn't think that the colour of the hand was the problem - though it does need to be more towards grey - rather than the fact that it is worryingly narrow. I'm also not happy with the gun itself; some of the angling is off, it too is too narrow, and it just does look like plain shit really. I fear for the bigger guns.

rf` said:

HocusDoom

The first few shots looks kinda messy imo, way too many trees and mushrooms slapped randomly everywhere. The status bar works well in the castle but is a bit gloomy for the colorful outdoors I think.

@ Eris:

It is certainly too far away from the eye. Almost like 3rd-person view. When it's closer, it gets bigger, and shows less of the hand and arm.

In context, the original pistol used a graphic of 57x62 size. To make my life easier, I just went straight out on 64x64, since it's fairly close to that. The original hand on the pistol used nearly all 57 pixels avaliable to it, I used about..*counts*..28 :P I did use 59 pixels in the other axis though, but I imagine I'll need to extend it to about 72 pixels to compliment the width increase

It might be worth noting that I haven't cropped the status bar out of that image, I turned it off completely. The hand was actually barely visible. Always worth making sure that it doesn't get cut off mid-air while viewed in the alternative HUD :P

Anyway, thanks for your feedback, I'm working on a second version, which may suck slightly less.

Eris Falling said:

In context, the original pistol used a graphic of 57x62 size. To make my life easier, I just went straight out on 64x64, since it's fairly close to that.

Not quite a good approach; given that you're working with a different angle here, and have more horizontal AND vertical real-estate, you should probably look at 1.25x the size vertically and around 1.7x horizontally. I recommend you also paint this with the original pistol side-by-side as reference.

Thanks JXT and CorSair. I've used a 96x80 resolution for the second attempt. I don't know if it might be worth trying to do these with a centred view, I'm just aware that decorative things like the lights on the SSG won't be visible >_<

It's a shame, the 2 minutes or so I put into making the lava glow came with a better outcome than this :S

It's an improvement, but it's not much larger than before and I'm still not happy with the gun itself

Eris Falling said:

It's an improvement, but it's not much larger than before and I'm still not happy with the gun itself

Maybe you should try to paint it over some screenshot. It can give you a better idea of how the perspective works with this angle.

rf`: That's a lot of mushrooms.. Also looks pretty.

Eris Falling: It looks more like a radio and the hand looks like a tea mug, or maybe a vase. It's probably easier to draw centered weapons.

I put some weapon models ingame.. also showing the player model.

Maybe I need to move the rocket launcher up/forward a bit.. so it might look bigger.

And closer views of the weapons:
http://www.moddb.com/games/blaze/images/shotgun-textured
http://www.moddb.com/games/blaze/images/rocket-launcher-textured

Oh, shit.

Looks like I'm so addicted to mapping with only 100 lines, I'm aiming to make an episode of the things by my lonesome.

I can recognize the Haymaker from UAC Ultra. That Cacovariant looks freaking scary, may I add. 8-/

Eris Falling said:

Please let it be ToPII

Nope, sorry. On any other day you'd be right. This is an altogether less serious project.

scalliano said:

Pop quiz:

What do all of these custom monsters have in common?

Aren't they all coded with Dehacked?