Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hybrid Moments

Turning off auto weapon switch in GLBOOM.

I had a question regarding GLBOOM. I was wondering how the hell you turn off the auto weapon switching when walking over a new weapon. I've been through every menu in boom and tried searching on google, all to no avail.

I'm sure it's been right in front of my face the entire time, but does anyone know?

You can't, it's part of Doom's gameplay mechanics. Changing this behavior would destroy demo compatibility.

Hah! And all this time I was setting up doom to run as faithfully as possible without actually using chocolate doom. Thanks for the reply!

If you folks wouldn't mind, I've got a couple more questions. I'm planning on recording some demos in BOOM for WADS like Hell Revealed 1 and 2, Scythe, etc. What is the best compatibility setting for those? -complevel 2?

My final question is, what is the best compatibility setting for slaughter WADS like Sunder, SF2011, SF2012, etc? I've read that the best is -complevel 9 because of all the action on screen.

By the way, TimeOfDeath, your demos are incredible! I was on armane15's youtube channel and saw your Degrassi UV-Max run...HOLY SHIT! How long have you played?

For vanilla and limit-removing wads you can use -complevel 2 (I also turn off "intercepts overflow emulation" in the emulation options, but leave the others alone).

For boom wads you can use -complevel 9.

Also thanks, armane's cool (j4rio). I played in the 90's but I was terrible and just ran around with god mode and idkfa. I started playing again in 2004 with keyboard/mouse and haven't really stopped since.

-complevel 2 is used for any wad that describes itself as 'vanilla' Doom 2, or 'limit-removing' Doom 2. Hell Revealed and Scythe wads would indeed use this setting.

-complevel 9 is used for 'boom-compatible' wads, like SF11, SF12, Sunder, and many more. Usually a textfile associated with the wad will let you know what setting to use.

you can find more information on complevels and such here

edit: ToD beat me to it, oh well :p

It would be pretty trivial to patch out autoswitching when not playing or recording a demo, but as others have said if you wanted to *record* without weapon switches you couldn't use one of the existing demo versions. (You could add a new one, but nobody uses anything but 2, 3, 4, or 9, as appropriate for the wad, to keep the playing field level or some such)

This is the sort of ad-hoc feature which justifies source code releases and DIY. Developers would be overwhelmed if they tried to accomodate every random whim and request. So the preferred policy is "Here's the source code, have fun!".

That being said...I'm not sure if this sort of behavior could also be achieved through DEHACKED patching.