Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Doom 2 The Way id Did [Final Beta Released!]

Map 15. Only one thing to say: GODDAMN FRICKIN' REVENANTS!

Other than that, it's been a blast so far. Nice levels with good flow to them, enough combat to puzzle ratio while staying true to the original design philosophy. I guess the secret levels haven't been fully implemented yet, because they're both the Wolfenstein ones.

Steve1664 said:

Map 15. Only one thing to say: GODDAMN FRICKIN' REVENANTS!

Other than that, it's been a blast so far. Nice levels with good flow to them, enough combat to puzzle ratio while staying true to the original design philosophy. I guess the secret levels haven't been fully implemented yet, because they're both the Wolfenstein ones.

Nope, they haven't. But so much has been said in the thread. They're keeping them secret levels for added suspense in the final release :D

The gameplay on some levels feel semi-plutonia like..

Was it intended that it was possible to move around the torches in map15, and get that way to the switch that opens the secret exit? I used that way.. didn't really care for the switch and run.

Sector 45 in map17 has height 32, which makes it stuck. Also linedef 153 has x offset 16, which doesn't make any sense.

Map02 has some bad offsets in the tekgren at the non damaging nukage pool teleporter. Linedef 446 has x offset 200, which also doesn't make any sense.

Map02 also features a secret exit action in linedef 463..

You must simply exist as a human being with a copy of Doom 2! Play the maps, and unleash your criticisms upon us here!

Does that make me a beta tester, when all I did was download and play through (and enjoy the lot, save for Borderlands)? :P

Jimi said:

The gameplay on some levels feel semi-plutonia like..

The revenant gangs felt like something from Plutonia I guess.

There's an inescapeable pit of non damaging lava in map22. Sector 83.. the teleporter doesn't work.

I'm not really feeling map 19 - it doesn't have a lot of flow to it, and all the damage zones and cramped narrow paths don't help. A bit too convoluted, is what I'm trying to say. I'll pick it up tomorrow; maybe some fresh perspective will help.

I played up to the malstrom on map04. I really liked it and my only critique is that there aren't enough secrets thus far (about as many in the first 4 maps as there are in the original first map).

Jimi said:

There's an inescapeable pit of non damaging lava in map22. Sector 83.. the teleporter doesn't work.

Not even only one mistake :D

This maps are awesome! I feel true old Doom II atmosphere in it. I use ZDooM with software renderer to feel like back in the 1995 when I first saw Doom II. Maybe there is too much Revenants and HWD. Original Doom2 have more scarry moments then this mapset, but gameplay is ok. Maybe is too much ammo and health (I play on Ultra Violence).

MAP09 - there is something wrong with one platform. After half hour I must cheat and use jump key to get to a higher sector. I tried to run on the platform when he was leaving but platform was falling too fast.

I'm about 2/3 finished and loving this one a lot more than DTWID, but that's probably because I've always preferred Doom II to E2/E3. Some comments on the maps that made the biggest impression on me (playing from pistol starts on UV):

map05: The Boiler: Compact and interconnected. You have to be aware of your angles and surroundings right off the bat. I like it. The end bit with the key didn't seem weird to me considering that random teleporter section McGee threw in at the end of The Focus. (EDIT: As far as the lava on this map is concerned, I would say it's more reminiscent of McGee's Quake work than Doom. But it doesn't feel out of place.)

map11: The Garrison: Love the layout of the main room and the bands of light/dark contrast. The part where you jump out of the window back onto the main platform seemed a little fiddly for Doom II--maybe I was doing it wrong? (EDIT: Nevermind, I just realized the bridges can be used as lifts, so falling down is fine.)

map12: The Shipyard: A perfect imitation of Factory style without being a rip-off.

map13: The Wharf: The frantic, puzzle-y start to get your bearings and collect weapons kept kicking my ass. I couldn't figure out a good route. I'll have to go back and try this one with saves.

map14: Flooded Library: Compact and dense. A solid, satisfying break from the open city maps. I like the secrets in this one.

map15: The Causeway: A perfect imitation of Doom II city style, only bigger and better. Somewhat frantic start to gather weapons, but allows you to keep your momentum once you get going. The invulnerability for the archies was a welcome concession, although I'm sure more hardcore players will scoff at it as unnecessary.

map17: The Precint: An inspiring example of using varied room shapes, height differences, and interconnectivity to make a layout that's not controlled by doors and corridors.

map19: Bedlam: It's cool to have optional nooks and crannies to explore, but solving this map felt aimless. Item placement is very odd. Why is the BFG even on this map? I know Sandy was a dungeon master and brought that mindset to some of his levels, but I kept thinking that the design here would be a better fit in an actual dungeon crawler.

map20: Leap of Faith: An easy and fun map. Lots of health and ammo, not that I'm complaining. I was expecting more jumping based on the name, which provided a nice bit of misdirection for the end.

map22: Borderlands: Although definitely old-school, it doesn't feel like original Doom II. More like a souped-up Mt. Erebus.

Reinchard666 said:

MAP09 - there is something wrong with one platform. After half hour I must cheat and use jump key to get to a higher sector. I tried to run on the platform when he was leaving but platform was falling too fast. [/B]

I've tried that way but I realized that it is done the opposite, you must get between the platform and the switch when it is already raised 16 units above the switch's sector, then press it and run backwards to get on the platform while it is raising and you will be able to "jump" into the near sector.
BTW I've played up to map 10 and I think this is excellent, true doom 2 feeling on the maps, maps 03,04,08 & 09 my fav ones.

The first time I beat map22 - Borderlands, I accidentally skipped 3/4 of the map. If you're checking the lava for secrets, it's easy to find the corner teleporter that puts you "inside" the blue door area and not realize you're doing things out of order.

I've come to like this map quite a bit. It initially seems rough from a pistol start, but that's only if you camp and let yourself get swarmed by the cacos. If you keep pushing forward, you're rewarded with supplies. You can mostly ignore the pain elemental, but I wouldn't mind another rad suit so you can go out there and take care of him instead of trying to do it at the same time as whenever you go for the lava secrets.

Alright, finished.

map16: Cul-de-sac: A fine map but doesn't strike me as IWAD material. Maybe a little too open or something about the "courtyard + caverns" hub layout. Maybe it's just all the water reminding me of Heretic instead.

map21: Passage to Exile: What's the inspiration here? Monster Condo? There are touches of Sandy weirdness, but mostly everything is oversized and bland. The invulnerability/monster crowd trap room would be out of place in Doom 2.

map23: The Crucible: Hitscanners, hitscanners everywhere. A forgettable map. If this was an E4M1 replacement I'd be feeling it, but compared to the rest I suspect a rush job.

map25: Dead Sea: Freedom to run everywhere = enough rope to hang yourself. It's not a hard map, but if you bumble around like an idiot, you'll start catching rockets or plasma in the back soon enough. Strikes a good balance of requiring caution without route planning like the city maps.

map26: Damned Strait!: Interesting how using the teleporters can change the way you visit (or skip) certain rooms. Is there enough ammo for the bridge showdown? I ran past.

map27: The Bloodwash: Mostly forgettable. The hellish elements in the underground blood area are well done and the megasphere secret was worth a chuckle.

map28: Abyss: I get it, it's like The Pit + The Chasm, right? Well, at least there are no tiny ledges. Instead it's pain elementals. Blegh.

map29: The Mortal Coil: A fitting Living End tribute and penultimate level. Feels like you're fighting your way into Hell. I used saves for this one due to all the drop-offs and nasty moments. The fight for the exit switch is an anticlimax--it's just a time/ammo sink because of how easy it is to retreat, but I guess that's better than a "screw you" trap right before the end.

I don't have much to say for the "gimmick" maps (Unnamed, The Gambit, Crushed Spirits, Hell on Earth) and most of the early levels. I played through them, but they're not what I like about Doom 2, even though you guys nailed the various concepts. An awesome project overall.

Worm said:

map21: Passage to Exile: What's the inspiration here? Monster Condo? There are touches of Sandy weirdness, but mostly everything is oversized and bland.

There are a few Monster Condo inspirations, like the lamp alcoves, but the map as a whole was supposed to be a sort of Nirvana 2.0, something caught between worlds. I agree, however, that it does need some work.

The invulnerability/monster crowd trap room would be out of place in Doom 2.

I agree completely that it's out of place, not to mention that it pretty much sucks. At the time, it was tacked on because I couldn't really think of anything better, and we were trying to get this thread going with a few example maps. I'm going to scrap that entire fight and try something different.

Megalyth said:

I agree completely that it's out of place, not to mention that it pretty much sucks. At the time, it was tacked on because I couldn't really think of anything better, and we were trying to get this thread going with a few example maps. I'm going to scrap that entire fight and try something different.

I disagree, it was kind of fresh. And while it doesn't provide technical difficulty, it does work suspense-wise. Got my heart pumpin', so I'd say it succeeded, in a way at least.

I just want to add that whoever came up with the name "The Bloodwash" deserves a cookie. This sounds unimaginably kickass and cool and would be an amazing song title too.

Bloodwash is hands down the best map in D2WID. I'm ashamed that everything I've made doesn't begin to approach it's greatness.

Marcaek said:

Bloodwash is hands down the best map in D2WID. I'm ashamed that everything I've made doesn't begin to approach it's greatness.

Maybe I should play this map some more to confirm this thesis :P

I checked this out and enjoyed the first nine maps or so, it's cool work but it occurred to me that modern level design philosophy was still creeping in - there aren't really all that many free-roaming revenants in the original levels, the percentage of keys to key ambushes is much closer to 100% here, lots of places that wouldn't be marked secret in doom2.wad were here, and that the Dead Simple replacement was just a bit too evil to be MAP07 in a tribute set. Finally I didn't think there was enough whimsy - all the levels are solid without any whacked out architecture or barons surrounded by barrels. Needs more silly level dev moments! >:B just my opinion though, I respect the work that's gone into this.

Well, in general there's more abstract and unorthodox design as it gets into the later levels (as with Doom 2, where American McGee's very grounded designs dominated the first part of the game).

With that said, as much as we'd have liked to, we couldn't really leave in the MAP22 bug where a lava sector comprising most of the surface area was flagged as a 30 second door :D

Guest Unregistered account

It had better not turn out how Doom ID did. That didn't feel at all "How ID did", apart from the recycled structures.

Joe667 said:

It had better not turn out how Doom ID did. That didn't feel at all "How ID did", apart from the recycled structures.

I think it felt a LOT like Doom. Even better at times, in fact. D2TWID overall feels a whole lot like Doom 2, with the exception of an underground Hell level like The Spirit World. That one made a huge impression and the lack of even a remote equivalent is noticeable.

Joe667 said:

Though I don't agree with you on DTWID I will say that I think D2TWID is of much higher quality than its predecessor.